What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Summer 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I’m having some Weller SR tonight too. It’s an old label/bottle private selection that’s mighty tasty if I do say so myself.  :P

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, Swamp55 said:

I hesitated whether to ask for more details on how this went...

Ha!

she decided to stick with other beverages.

So I have been working out of my RV this Summer as we at least can be out of the house and still stay safe.  As I consequence, I have been hitting my RV stash which consist of about a dozen bourbons/whiskeys.  Unfortunatlely, my stash outgrew the limited cupboard space and I had to move it to the bottom of my closet.  Now the closet has a light but it is pretty much useless.  

Last night I reached in to get my bottle of longbranch and afterward realized that I could identify every bottle in my stash by their shape alone.  So my question is “Should I take this a sign of a problem or as an opportunity to advocate that bourbon makers make more distinctive bottle shapes?”  

Frankly, I think it is the latter but am willing to be told differently.

• I like it 1

Healthy pour of Rare Breed last night after a rough day. First day that I went into the office in months and end up with an unrepairable flat on the way home.

BC77B7DF-241D-4867-955D-FDAEFC74BC41.jpeg

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

So I have been working out of my RV this Summer as we at least can be out of the house and still stay safe.  As I consequence, I have been hitting my RV stash which consist of about a dozen bourbons/whiskeys.  Unfortunatlely, my stash outgrew the limited cupboard space and I had to move it to the bottom of my closet.  Now the closet has a light but it is pretty much useless.  

Last night I reached in to get my bottle of longbranch and afterward realized that I could identify every bottle in my stash by their shape alone.  So my question is “Should I take this a sign of a problem or as an opportunity to advocate that bourbon makers make more distinctive bottle shapes?”  

knowing that you’ll be able to grab your favorite bottle if your sight is ever comprised is an extremely valuable skill!

2 hours ago, 0895 said:

knowing that you’ll be able to grab your favorite bottle if your sight is ever comprised is an extremely valuable skill!

Good point. I will have to practice more. ???

What I'm going to be drinking tomorrow.... Been digging deeper into the bunker since March. This Saz 18 is next up on my rye list. Has been in a back corner with a couple of other BTAC releases from 10 years ago. I almost certainly purchased it at Binnys; its little white rectangular store sticker has the number 196989 on it. I think this Saz must have been bottled in 2009, 2010, or 2011; I am sure that I purchased it in one of those three years. I understand this juice was tanked then and these years were similar in taste. According the notes I've found, most folks like these years quite a bit but no one was doing backflips over them.  Can anyone decipher the "Bottled" date on this label? Maybe you have/had one with a messy date just like it. It's Fall 20something, but doesn't resemble any number I think it should be. I'd just like to know the bottled date, you know? Thanks. 

image.jpg

• I like it 3

Very nice! Hard to make out honestly.. maybe 2008?

By chance, saw you're up in chain o lakes area. I'm in Lake Zurich. Was this purchased at the binny's on 12 and old rand road? If so, I would check with them if you really want to know. Maybe they can give you more info if you provide them with the store sticker number? Just a thought.

I'm sure some of the more veteran members can help you out. 

Edited by liquidbarrels

7 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

If you can pick out a bottle by merely touch, I believe that is a high functioning cognitive skill! I say drink up! ?‍?

• I like it 1

Front porch sittin' with 4RYL, the misses, and little Whammie. Life is full of perfect moments 

20200813_184206.jpg

• I like it 11

9 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

I'm pretty sure you don't have a problem Jeff. You  just know your bunker. Definitely not a problem. 

4 hours ago, Chuckles said:

What I'm going to be drinking tomorrow.... Been digging deeper into the bunker since March. This Saz 18 is next up on my rye list. Has been in a back corner with a couple of other BTAC releases from 10 years ago. I almost certainly purchased it at Binnys;...

Old Saz 18 ranks up there with my all time favorites.  I've a Saz 18 I rank as 2nd fav of everything I've had

Getting soused (or drunk) on EC18 tonight.  Later 2015 but just as good as the early stuff.  Adventure eve.  Went out to stone wall I like to lean against while stargazing, sipping, enjoying the night.  A bear stood 10' away looking at me like what are you doing.  I looked at it.  It slowly ambled off.  Then I went in to check my ebay bid still winning for a 1870's key wind watch.  Headed back out with another glass to see where the bear went.  Live is good.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, JCwhammie said:

Front porch sittin' with 4RYL, the misses, and little Whammie. Life is full of perfect moments 

20200813_184206.jpg

Enjoy your moment. Above.all, do not deny yourself happiness. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Phil T said:

I'm pretty sure you don't have a problem Jeff. You  just know your bunker. Definitely not a problem. 

Thanks, Phil. That brings up the point of What is the most distinctive bottle in your bunker. It is the Willett Pot Still or the Blanton in my home bunker. 

10 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS ( but not related to the British TV series of the same name).  Distinctive bottle shapes?  I've been thinking about a "Topic" on faves, but it is still in the WHA????? stage.  Tonight, my bourbon is Virgin 101 proof 7yr. Like EWB 86 proof NAS, JBW, and Benchmark, I am starting to be drawn to the long neck, square bottom shape of bourbon bottles.  The longer the neck, the better I like it.  Hence, I prefer the bottle shape (but not the contents) of a Virgin 101 over OGD BIB because the neck is longer and easier to grab in the dark.  Square bottoms, as per JDB and JBW and EWB, also say "bourbon" to me.

Watching "Lewis" on PBS, "Dark Matters' episode.  I have no idea what's going on.

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS ( but not related to the British TV series of the same name).  Distinctive bottle shapes?  I've been thinking about a "Topic" on faves, but it is still in the WHA????? stage.  Tonight, my bourbon is Virgin 101 proof 7yr. Like EWB 86 proof NAS, JBW, and Benchmark, I am starting to be drawn to the long neck, square bottom shape of bourbon bottles.  The longer the neck, the better I like it.  Hence, I prefer the bottle shape (but not the contents) of a Virgin 101 over OGD BIB because the neck is longer and easier to grab in the dark.  Square bottoms, as per JDB and JBW and EWB, also say "bourbon" to me.

Watching "Lewis" on PBS, "Dark Matters' episode.  I have no idea what's going on.

Harry,

Thanks for the comments. Good to know that you are a “ Neck “ guy when it comes to bottles. I actually like distinctive bottle. I have an WTKS in the perfume style bottle that I really like.   

BTW, going to try making a Porchetta next weekend. 

Watching Doom Patrol on HBO. Just wondering what drugs the writers were on. Very different. We 

54 minutes ago, B.B. Babington said:

Getting soused (or drunk) on EC18 tonight.  Later 2015 but just as good as the early stuff.  Adventure eve.  Went out to stone wall I like to lean against while stargazing, sipping, enjoying the night.  A bear stood 10' away looking at me like what are you doing.  I looked at it.  It slowly ambled off.  Then I went in to check my ebay bid still winning for a 1870's key wind watch.  Headed back out with another glass to see where the bear went.  Live is good.

Heading back out to the wall with another drink to see where the bear went.  Now that is adventurous!

2 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

Great story!  Did you get him a drink, too?

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

Heading back out to the wall with another drink to see where the bear went.  Now that is adventurous!

He's garbage fed out of my trashcans, so maybe almost a pet???

27 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Great story!  Did you get him a drink, too?

If drinking something cheap, sure.  But this is EC18 so's I'll be a bit stingy.

• I like it 1

Nothing crazy, just BT Store Pick, aged for 8 years 4 months from Warehouse H, 1st floor. 

lrPKuQH.jpg

Edited by shuttlenote
  • I like it 1

10 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Thanks, Phil. That brings up the point of What is the most distinctive bottle in your bunker. It is the Willett Pot Still or the Blanton in my home bunker. 

While I don't any Willett or Blanton’s Jeff...FRSB, Bowman, EC, WTKS, or Weller would certainly be easy pickins. ?

Prost!  Phil

Got together with a buddy last night for some socially distant pours and a cigar. He was gracious enough to let me try a few private selections; a FR 10 1/2 yr OESK, an almost 11 yr Russel’s Reserve, and the MoCo Barrel 14 year Dickel sourced. The four roses was the best of the bunch but the RR was close behind. The Barrel was just so different. Not sure that I’ve ever had anything Dickel/Dickel sourced. It was so sweet I probably would have thought it was a finished bourbon in a blind tasting. I truly understand the Flintstones vitamin note as that was shining through. Thoroughly enjoyed.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.