What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Summer 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

19 minutes ago, Clay34 said:

The wife, the son and I did a small blind tasting together this evening.  We are not very experienced at this but it was still a good learning experience.  We had two 100 proof bourbons:  Old Forrester 100 P & Old Tub and then we poured one of the bourbons that is a regular pour in the house - just an inexpensive Henry Mckenna 80 P. 

In all three of our tasting, the OF 100 won with the best and most complex flavors.  The OT came in 2nd and for a bourbon that we drink regularly I wasn't really surprised but the other two very much outclassed the HM. 

While the OT was a 750 and actually costs more than the OF, we all picked the OF as the best of the small blind tasting.  Fun excercise and while I have had OF 100 in the past it will become a very regular pour in my house. 

I have to do a blind between OF 100 and WT101.  The OF product is actually a little less expensive than the WT101 in our market. 

The OF100 is a great bourbon right now. They are doing something very right at BF with this.

4RYL out of the freezer, over a big cube, ice chips from the bottle intact. Perfect for an 88 degree day after a bike ride.

• I like it 4

Having some Baker's.  This is my first bottle and I have really been enjoying it.  Kicking myself for not picking up more when I could get it for $35.

IMG_20200815_155913542.jpg

• I like it 3

Had some Early Times tonight for the first time. Quite tasty although it was the 3rd pour of the night.  Hmmmm.  

KC15 year store pick. My bottle of the year.  I’ll be calling tomorrow to see if there are any more of these left.

A) will they keep doing these

b) are most of these stellar or are they hit or miss

c) how do they compare to the new “15” non PS?

3 hours ago, flahute said:

4RYL out of the freezer, over a big cube, ice chips from the bottle intact. Perfect for an 88 degree day after a bike ride.

88 degrees? Hmmphh ? Lol

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, TwoFingers said:

Having some Baker's.  This is my first bottle and I have really been enjoying it.  Kicking myself for not picking up more when I could get it for $35.

IMG_20200815_155913542.jpg

Yep it's a good one.  I'm with you, however I got several at old pricing stocked up but eventually I'll run out and kick myself for not bunkering even more.

Edited by Kepler
p.s. It's my favorite bottles when I'm in the mood for something fresh tasting with little oakiness but also not too young either.
  • I like it 1

31 minutes ago, Kepler said:

88 degrees? Hmmphh ? Lol

88 degrees, you mean October?(maybe November :-))

??????

Edited by Wedelstaedt
Added a funny

44 minutes ago, Kepler said:

88 degrees? Hmmphh ? Lol

13 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

88 degrees, you mean October?(maybe November :-))

??????

Hahahahahaha. Fair,.........fair.

For the PNW this is scorching hot. We live in the land of rain and overcast for most of the year.

• I like it 2

Just now, flahute said:

For the PNW this is scorching hot. We live in the land of rain and overcast for most of the year.

True, I've been up there during the July, August months & the weather is usually glorious.  The problem I saw was a good amount of homes/cars didn't have A/C. Brutal if it gets to 90ish

Cheers 

1 minute ago, Wedelstaedt said:

True, I've been up there during the July, August months & the weather is usually glorious.  The problem I saw was a good amount of homes/cars didn't have A/C. Brutal if it gets to 90ish

Cheers 

Correct! Luckily we have AC!

It's supposed to be 96 tomorrow. I predict more 4RYL out of the freezer.

• I like it 2

5 minutes ago, flahute said:

Haha JK.  But speaking of fair, you did do a bike ride, which is more impressive exercise than anything I did today.  Just some yard work which was at a slow pace.  Kudos.  

• I like it 1

8 minutes ago, flahute said:

Correct! Luckily we have AC!

It's supposed to be 96 tomorrow. I predict more 4RYL out of the freezer.

Thank The Lord for Mr Carrier :-))

Long day. Long story. The short of it is that I noticed that I had three different Weller 12’s open. ? So, I did a sbsbs. ?  The three are an Everett’s Weller 12 from 2007, an old bottle/label embossed wheat Weller 12, and a new bottle/label Weller 12. And the winner is..... 

There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur, or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: There is nothing wrong with your television set. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to... The Outer Limits.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

...The short of it is that I noticed that I had three different Weller 12’s open. ? So, I did a sbsbs. ?  ...

I'm jealous.  I killed my last weller 12 years ago and not been able to replace at decent price.  Kicker, I love weller 12.

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Long day. Long story. The short of it is that I noticed that I had three different Weller 12’s open. ? So, I did a sbsbs. ?  The three are an Everett’s Weller 12 from 2007, an old bottle/label embossed wheat Weller 12, and a new bottle/label Weller 12. And the winner is..... 

There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur, or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: There is nothing wrong with your television set. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to... The Outer Limits.

Biba! Joe

And how many people are too young to remember watching this show in black and white on the ONLY TV in the house with Mom and Dad.  Some of those episodes (and The Twilight Zone) scared the poop outta' me!  Good thing I wasn't drinking bourbon back then.   ?

However, if I had to venture a guess on the winner of the SBS, I would wager . . . . . . . .  "ALL OF THEM!"   ?

• I like it 4

My guess? He really didn't like any of them.??

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, GeeTen said:

And how many people are too young to remember watching this show in black and white on the ONLY TV in the house with Mom and Dad.  Some of those episodes (and The Twilight Zone) scared the poop outta' me!  Good thing I wasn't drinking bourbon back then.   ?

However, if I had to venture a guess on the winner of the SBS, I would wager . . . . . . . .  "ALL OF THEM!"   ?

5 hours ago, PaulO said:

My guess - the embossed wheat bottle.

5 hours ago, Phil T said:

My guess? He really didn't like any of them.??

Being the Weller Whore that I am, how could I pick a favorite?  Frank wins this one. ? ?

Biba! Joe

5 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Being the Weller Whore that I am, how could I pick a favorite?  Frank wins this one. ? ?

Biba! Joe

I should get votes for sarcasm. ?‍♂️

1 minute ago, Phil T said:

I should get votes for sarcasm. ?‍♂️

Done! ?

16 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

KC15 year store pick. My bottle of the year.  I’ll be calling tomorrow to see if there are any more of these left.

A) will they keep doing these

b) are most of these stellar or are they hit or miss

c) how do they compare to the new “15” non PS?

b) all of the 14-15 year old KC SiB I've had have been stellar. Binny's tends to do good picks, not picks just for the sake of having them.

c) If you mean the new LE 15 they are different. The LE is a small batch and only 100 proof. I enjoyed the LE but probably wouldn't buy another @ $100. I like the KC SiB PS for the 120 proof that, for me, drinks below that 120. I need to do a sbs with the KC12 & KC15. Maybe I'll throw in a SiB.

• I like it 1

I'm drinking the new Maker's 46 cask strength. I'm really liking this quite a bit. Probably even more the the regular MMCS. But I've always liked the regular 46 more than regular MM.

17 minutes ago, BoilerinIL said:

b) all of the 14-15 year old KC SiB I've had have been stellar. Binny's tends to do good picks, not picks just for the sake of having them.

c) If you mean the new LE 15 they are different. The LE is a small batch and only 100 proof. I enjoyed the LE but probably wouldn't buy another @ $100. I like the KC SiB PS for the 120 proof that, for me, drinks below that 120. I need to do a sbs with the KC12 & KC15. Maybe I'll throw in a SiB.

Is Binnys doing 15 year store picks regularly? Youre right, the 120 proof drinks way below 120. There was someone on here who posted his bunker pic with about 100 KC store pics.. i get that guy now.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.