What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Summer 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

43 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Is Binnys doing 15 year store picks regularly? Youre right, the 120 proof drinks way below 120. There was someone on here who posted his bunker pic with about 100 KC store pics.. i get that guy now.

They just got in 5 or 6 picks about 3 weeks ago. They were 9, 10, 11-12, and 14-15 years old. Even at 9, I always pick one up.

Edited by BoilerinIL

17 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

KC15 year store pick. My bottle of the year.  I’ll be calling tomorrow to see if there are any more of these left.

A) will they keep doing these

b) are most of these stellar or are they hit or miss

c) how do they compare to the new “15” non PS?

a) the days of these being a regular thing are gone because they are now diverting older stock to the new KC12 and KC15 labels. I have a friend who works at Beam and he tells me some of these will still enter the program.

b) though I've heard of some average or overoaked barrels, everyone I have tried (and I've also picked a few) have been very good to stellar

c) I've not tried the 15 yet but I hear a lot of "meh" reviews of it. The KC12 is outstanding to my palate

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, flahute said:

a) the days of these being a regular thing are gone because they are now diverting older stock to the new KC12 and KC15 labels. I have a friend who works at Beam and he tells me some of these will still enter the program.

b) though I've heard of some average or overoaked barrels, everyone I have tried (and I've also picked a few) have been very good to stellar

c) I've not tried the 15 yet but I hear a lot of "meh" reviews of it. The KC12 is outstanding to my palate

Thank ya. Just located a load of 14 y/o PS.. gonna trek on tuesday! So far ive only had the one 15 y/o PS.. hope the 14 holds up.. same store so theres a chance .

18 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

b) are most of these stellar or are they hit or miss

All the 14-15 year picks I didn't buy that friends let me try have been absolutely fantastic or better.  I'm sure the ones I actually purchased will be mediocre, but I haven't opened any of them yet to find out. ?

• I like it 1

I think it was Kepler who mentioned how much he liked this.

I didn’t share his enthusiasm until today.

Some air in the bottle has really made this blossom!

Really good.

Im assuming its the OGD mashbill.

443550E1-D39A-48AF-8B30-B90367196494.jpeg

• I like it 1

4RYL our of the freezer with all its slushy ice chip goodness over a big cube. 

C541E5A1-DB13-48E1-A768-0B6FDE2C4D9D.jpeg

• I like it 5

Mint julep with Garrison Brothers SiB. Barreled in 2011 and aged in 3 years. Not a huge fan neat but it makes a pretty good julep. 

19 hours ago, flahute said:

Hahahahahaha. Fair,.........fair.

For the PNW this is scorching hot. We live in the land of rain and overcast for most of the year.

@flahute, wow, I sure know what you mean. It's been in the 90's here in Berkeley the past few days. Looks like our "Fogust" ended earlier than usual, and now we're in the September/October hot weather pattern. Dang! 

16 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@flahute, wow, I sure know what you mean. It's been in the 90's here in Berkeley the past few days. Looks like our "Fogust" ended earlier than usual, and now we're in the September/October hot weather pattern. Dang! 

I know you know what I mean! We left coasters need to stick together.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, 0895 said:

All the 14-15 year picks I didn't buy that friends let me try have been absolutely fantastic or better.  I'm sure the ones I actually purchased will be mediocre, but I haven't opened any of them yet to find out. ?

:lol:I feel your pain brother. At least while theyre unopened they have potential to be great. Worth the gamble to keep buyin if they are anywhere close to the one i have open

I’m switching things up a little this evening. I’m having a couple of pours  of a ND 86 proof OGD. It’s nice to have a pour or two of a tasty dusty every now and then. It makes for a pretty nice reality check. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

So this last Saturday  was a bit bittersweet.  Our neighbors at our RV resort sold their rig and left after 10 years.  He had been battling cancer for the past 5 years.  First a lymphoma, then colon cancer and has now been diagnosed with Metasticized thyroid cancer.  He will undergo the radioactive iodine treatments in a couple of weeks but the doctors are only offering life extension at this point (How much they don' t know, if any).  He was my bourbon drinking buddy. We were particularly fond of Elijah Craig.  Since EC was a Baptist Preacher, we always referred to having  drink as going to get some religion.   So as a fairwell, I brought you gave him three choices: ECSB, BT, and WT Longbranch.  He had not has the LongBranch before and really liked it.  We overindulged but had  a good time. Hopefully, this next treatment will work provide him some good time for him and his wife of over 50 years.  This is the second friend that we have had leave the  resort but to age/health reasons and we know that time will eventually come to us as well.  It was very sad to see them drive off yestreday knowing that chapter in their life had closed.

In these times, I fall back on three things to help me put things in perspective.

The first is Jack London' credo:   

I would rather be ashes than dust!

I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot.

I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

The function of man is to live, not to exist.

I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them.

I shall use my time

The second is the quote by Max Ehrmann (th author of Desiderata)

What if, at the end, we are truly measured by how lightly we had tread on other peoples souls as we journeyed through life.

Finally, when a man was asked on his death bed if he had any regrets, he replied one - that I denied myself happiness.

Sorry for waxing a bit philosophical but I am in a mood.  I guess its time to turn the page.

Edited by StarSurfer55
content
  • I like it 8

I feel your heart ache Jeff. My thoughts are with you and your family, and your friends. Hang in there.

Joe

Joe,

Thanks for the kind words and support.  To add to the misery, I just found out that one of my old Admins has entered hospice care.

Jeff

On 8/13/2020 at 4:54 PM, liquidbarrels said:

By chance, saw you're up in chain o lakes area. I'm in Lake Zurich. Was this purchased at the binny's on 12 and old rand road?

Howdy neighbor. Just moved into area last fall and have not been to Binnys in Lake Zurich yet. McHenry's branch is closest to me. Some of the special bottles in my bunker are from various Binnys in or near the city, lucky visits and, in one case, a lucky lottery draw. 

So sorry to hear all that Jeff. Hang in there. Hopefully your new neighbors will be outstanding and help ease the pain.

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Growing up in New England Sept. was one of my favorite months, at 21 I moved to L.A. September shot to the top of the list of LEAST favorite months!!

• I like it 1

A little Four Roses Super Premium while slogging through some paperwork.  

1746CDA4-475D-44D6-B459-EB1B1F74E299.jpeg

• I like it 1

On 6/28/2020 at 7:47 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

This is the first JD juice I've had in years.  It's surprisingly smooth and, if it didn't state so on the label, I wouldn't know it weighed in at 132.5 proof. I'd buy it again. 

20200628_192455.jpg

JD SBBP is way better than I'd ever think it had a right to be.  I was gobsmacked when I tasted it and nearly hurt myself getting my wallet out next time I was at the liquor store.  Truly a great whiskey!

• I like it 6

Decided to drink some butterscotch tonight. 

Prost!  Phil 

20200817_182225.jpg

Edited by Phil T
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.