What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Summer 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

51 minutes ago, clearmoon247 said:

You aren't going to believe this... a 1987 bottle I got a couple months ago.

20200727_202050.jpg

@clearmoon247, OMG, you've got to be kidding me???? Looks like you've cracked your's open as well. How did the juice hold up over the years? Maybe its just the red background, but your bottle looks quite darker than mine. I was surprised at how light the oak profile was on mine. I didn't remember it being that way back then. 

I also noticed how the bottle changed within those two years. The body, shoulders, and neck are a little more rounded on your bottle from '87. These days the bottle is super "square," if that makes sense. 

Oh, and the Dartigalongue Bas Armagnac is quite a nice pour, too! ??

Cheers,

Nancy

Just now, JvW said:

Is that a Coastal Redwood in the background...??

@JvW, yes, it sure is! I've got a few of them around the side deck of my house. 

34 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@JvW, yes, it sure is! I've got a few of them around the side deck of my house. 

Unfortunately they have a hard time growing in Kentucky (tried a number of times & the climate is just not friendly to them)...so I got one growing in a bonsai pot, reminds me of the many hikes along the California coastline including to the Redwood National Park & the Big Basin Redwood State Park which was terribly affected by this year’s wildfires ?. Enjoying some Horse Soldier tonight, whose operation soon will move to my little hometown in SouthCentral Kentucky. 

82BC0D3D-3680-4E97-A5D9-4F056EAFD4C7.jpeg

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Rhettro said:

We've spent the weekend with my immediate family for the first time in eight months or so, and what a joy it has been. If the dregs of this newly opened OF 100 are any sign, we thoroughly enjoyed our time together.

IMG_20200906_191820_compress5.jpg

Yes sir!  Great to hear of families getting back together, and yep, it looks like y’all enjoyed the heck out of your reunion!  ??

• I like it 2

Pours from earlier this weekend including a taste of my mini barrel aged Dant at 10 weeks.  Coming along. 

D067B18B-DF69-44EF-B396-FBBDDC598739.jpeg

93F3A12E-72CF-4DD6-AB62-79DF1735A2AA.jpeg

C267E088-6676-4F92-9482-899D4295DEB6.jpeg

• I like it 1

Now celebrating a negative COVID test. Was feeling crappy all week along with most of my family. Had sore throat and congestion. Just getting over it today and finally got the results after being tested last Monday.

32F0A935-C127-49E4-9840-4580FF40CC94.jpeg

Edited by marshall9779
  • I like it 8

Just now, marshall9779 said:

Now celebrating a negative COVID test. Was feeling crappy all week along with most of my family. Had sore throat and congestion. Just getting over it today and finally hit the results after being tested last Monday.

Good to hear Marshall
enjoy your pour of my favorite Wheater...stay healthy.

Just now, marshall9779 said:

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, marshall9779 said:

Now celebrating a negative COVID test. Was feeling crappy all week along with most of my family. Had sore throat and congestion. Just getting over it today and finally got the results after being tested last Monday.

Congrats on your good news.

Having some blantons from a 375ml i opened friday if i remember correct. It will be lucky to see tomorrow morning.

2 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@clearmoon247, OMG, you've got to be kidding me???? Looks like you've cracked your's open as well. How did the juice hold up over the years? Maybe its just the red background, but your bottle looks quite darker than mine. I was surprised at how light the oak profile was on mine. I didn't remember it being that way back then. 

I also noticed how the bottle changed within those two years. The body, shoulders, and neck are a little more rounded on your bottle from '87. These days the bottle is super "square," if that makes sense. 

Oh, and the Dartigalongue Bas Armagnac is quite a nice pour, too! ??

Cheers,

Nancy

@WhiskeyBlender I dare say it's a small world to say the least. Comparing the '87 JD to a modern SiB release, the older bottle is a bit darker in color and when we did a blind flight of JD Gold, JD SiB, and the dusty, the dusty trounced the competition. I have a theory that bottles will break down certain compounds over the span of decades, which will result in that rich flavor profile that seems prevalent in 25+ year old dusty bottles.

You know, I've been curious to investigate a theory I've had for a while, that the dusty bottles we sample now don't taste like what the bottles tasted like when they were originally released and your feelings seem to support this idea.

You've gotta love the subtle changes they made to the bottle design, coupled with the faux tax-strip on the tamper seal. The new bottles do embrace harder lines on the corners that make them look more "boxy".

The Dartigalongue really opened my eyes to what a really good Armagnac could be. I think I've been bit by the bug and may have to begin seeking out more bottles soon. Pray for my wallet, lol!

Lastly, remember that there is absolutely nothing wrong with mixing whiskey with coke. If Pappy Van Winkle can enjoy his mixed with ginger ale  and a lemon wedge, we can all enjoy whiskey however we like.

To say on theme for the thread, tonight's drink is a 9 year old, cask strength MGP rye infused with french oak and a splash of navy strength gin.

Cheers!

• I like it 1

What happened with WSR? A year ago i am quoted saying I wouldnt drink WSR if it was free. Now I am enjoying it. Did it change or did I change?  Having a 3peat tonite.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, FasterHorses said:

What happened with WSR? A year ago i am quoted saying I wouldnt drink WSR if it was free. Now I am enjoying it. Did it change or did I change?  Having a 3peat tonite.

I'm going with I'm pretty sure it got better.  Back in 2014-15-16, I didn't care for it.

I tried a "new" bottle at a buddy's after the bottle change and liked it a lot.

I might be delusional though... ?

• I like it 1

All the pictured bottles were sampled along with Wiliam Heavenhill 12, OFBB19, and Rare Breed Rye.  The EC18, PHH12, and SAOS all said their farewell tonight.

20200906_215529.jpg

20200906_222215.jpg

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, 0895 said:

I'm going with I'm pretty sure it got better.  Back in 2014-15-16, I didn't care for it.

Not likely that we’re both delusional. Ive bought 3 here lately and gone through 2 and thoroughly enjoyed every pour. In the past I have bought, sipped and then given  the rest of the bottle away they were so bad. 

19 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Well, maybe this post would be better in the Cocktail section, but since it's so blazin' hot here today (106, which is never heard of for Berkeley), I couldn't enjoy anything neat. So, I decided to break out a bottle of Old No. 7 from 1985 that I bought a few years back, and mix it with Coke. The bottle even has the original price tag of "$10.99" on it! 

I believe that I've made a confession on here before that I have a secret love for JD and Coke, probably because being from Tennessee, that's what my dad and everyone else drank back in the day. I just love all that good ole charcoal filtering taste and fusel oil funkiness! 

As I'm enjoying this Jack and Coke, I'm starting to prepare some barbecue ribs for tonight while listening to Hank Williams Sr. Seems like a perfect fit. 

Hope everyone's having a great Labor Day/Derby weekend! 

Cheers, ?

Nancy

IMG_4996.jpg

You have shared this secret love before and there is no judgement! That looks pretty darn tasty right now.

106 in Berkeley?!?!?! That is insane. Further proof that 2020 can't end fast enough.

• I like it 1

On 8/26/2020 at 9:43 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

20200826_191255.thumb.jpg.e8159db6878b12682e83f0cc314ae7c0.jpgCracked this one, from a barrel pick that one of my groups did. It's amazing. The nose on it is unbelievable!  It's a rye, from Starlight. 

20200826_191255.jpg

haven't opened mine yet, but I had the other Starlight one and thought it was really good.

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

18 hours ago, 0895 said:

Muwaaahaaaahaaa! ? Jobu put spell on you!  ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

haven't opened mine yet, but I had the other Starlight one and thought it was really good.

Ha! A Haitian friend at work always calls me King Greg. Cant wait to show this to him.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Muwaaahaaaahaaa! ? Jobu put spell on you!  ?

Biba! Joe

HaHa! Glad you did. I can actually find this one too

• I like it 1

13 minutes ago, Sgtspitter101 said:

I went from ardbeg 10 to blantons, the blantons is not hitting the spot after the islay.

That’s why I stopped after my dram of Ardbeg Uigeadail...Bourbon tomorrow & good night

3 minutes ago, JvW said:

That’s why I stopped after my dram of Ardbeg Uigeadail...Bourbon tomorrow & good night

How does the uigeadail compare with the 10 year? I was not against the wee beastie but the 5 and 10 are the same exact price here, $48. 

I went with a pour of Legent this evening.  I have really been liking this.  It seems well put together.  Sweet upfront with some dark fruit in there and a little spice on the finish.  I also think it has gotten a little better as it has been open.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.