What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Summer 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 minutes ago, Galvin0791 said:

Looks like a pretty nice line up there, Ken!! 

Hee hee hee.?

Biba! Uncle Doucé

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

having a pour of SJ batch 14 that i just cracked. wow, this is a big bourbon, surprising thst its not hotter neat. has the usual SJ cherry & dark chocolate, brown sugar, & a dry finish of medium length. curious as to how it opens up.

Good to hear. Havent opened mine and hadnt heard much about it. Glad yoj think its at least ok

Perhaps, it’s just a welcome first pour at the end of the final day of a 4 day week that seemed like 8 days, but damn does this 1792 Full Proof taste great.  ?

41310782-A751-484D-B315-2821EBD17BF9.jpeg

• I like it 7

38 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Perhaps, it’s just a welcome first pour at the end of the final day of a 4 day week that seemed like 8 days, but damn does this 1792 Full Proof taste great.  ?

41310782-A751-484D-B315-2821EBD17BF9.jpeg

No kidding.

This week has been dragging something fierce...

• I like it 1

50 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

12 minutes ago, 0895 said:

No kidding.

This week has been dragging something fierce...

I third this. ?

• I like it 2

Heavy, heavy rain in the Wash DC area yesterday - recordsetting.  HAD to drive to a doc's in the midst of it - water flowing across roads, people stopping in underpasses, white-outs regardless of wiper speeds, etc.  I saw NO accidents.

This AM was cloudy but better.  This PM, now that the water has flowed out of the basement and things are drying nicely, I finished off the dregs of a KC 375 I've been nursing in front of the TV for several days and am now finishing off the dregs of a JB "Extra Aged" 375 I used to dilute a bottle of Booker's I was not happy with.  Looks to be a Beam night as I just placed a delivery order for OGD BIB so I don't have to ration my last 750.  After dinner, of course.

ATL at Nats on the TV now.  I am in Fat City.  EDIT - the non sequiturs in that paragraph PROVE life for me is fat.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 4

Picked up another $35 old style "fan tail" bottle of WTKS today & finally grabbed this MMCS while I was there. It was marked down to $40 from the usual $50 it costs here. Thanks to everyone who responded to the threads I started and told me this and the KS were worth trying. So far after the initial pour of each, I'm very pleased with the Maker's (never thought I'd hear myself say that based on how I normally feel about the regular MM), and while the KS didn't knock my socks off, I can tell that it's going to get nice once it opens up a bit.

735118537_MakersMarkCaskStrength-2b.thumb.jpg.13a8ee0f8d0687f0b5f95660bbcf27aa.jpg

• I like it 2

Just now, Chuckles said:

image.thumb.jpg.36c2900604e4bc436a77fd1e346a7c4a.jpg

Happy Birthday to me,

I'm friggin' seventy,

Opening this BTAC,

Now makes good sense to me.

Happy friggin’ Birthday ya old Faht!!  7-0!  GO! GO! GO!!!  ?

Very happy to see you drinking well!  ??

• I like it 3

Was going to post in the “what did you purchase” thread but elected for here instead. Got a HMcK10 today, limited allocation from my local to top customers. It kind of makes me feel like a tater to buy it under those circumstances, particularly because of the price creep since the SF Spirits comp “best in show” last year.

But I also had a different barrel already open, and my bourbon shelf is starting to get cramped for space, so I poured a generous helping of the open bottle tonight and it was fantastic. Candied pecans is the big descriptor I decided upon for the flavor, along with typical bourbon profile, albeit a stellar expression thereof. And incredibly deep in layers of taste over the exceptionally long finish. I was not disappointed with the pour, and I’m satisfied with my purchase of a backup, which I can’t wait to explore.

Edited by BigSkyDrams
  • I like it 3

28 minutes ago, BigSkyDrams said:

Was going to post in the “what did you purchase” thread but elected for here instead. Got a HMcK10 today, limited allocation from my local to top customers. It kind of makes me feel like a tater to buy it under those circumstances, particularly because of the price creep since the SF Spirits comp “best in show” last year.

But I also had a different barrel already open, and my bourbon shelf is starting to get cramped for space, so I poured a generous helping of the open bottle tonight and it was fantastic. Candied pecans is the big descriptor I decided upon for the flavor, along with typical bourbon profile, albeit a stellar expression thereof. And incredibly deep in layers of taste over the exceptionally long finish. I was not disappointed with the pour, and I’m satisfied with my purchase of a backup, which I can’t wait to explore.

Despite all the frenzy and hype, it's still a very nice whiskey and we shouldn't be ashamed to enjoy it.  Same for, ahem, Blanton's.

• I like it 5

23 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Despite all the frenzy and hype, it's still a very nice whiskey and we shouldn't be ashamed to enjoy it.  Same for, ahem, Blanton's.

Couldn’t agree more! It makes me excited for the future knowing there are still whiskies as great as those two in general circulation (even if they can be sparse and highly coveted) with all of the expansion and aging that’s going on to catch up to the bourbon demand.  

• I like it 1

56 minutes ago, TwoFingers said:

Taking a break from my current read with some WT101.  

IMG_20200912_162652252.jpg

Love the reading.  Love the whiskey.

I've been acquiring and sampling this since the lockdown began, seeking out the older barrels as they've slowly disappeared.   12 to 15 years generally.  This is 11+ years and I've got it back up.  It outshone the 14+ bottle I was comparing it to tonight and it's terrific whiskey but it makes me wonder about the 9 year single barrel that I've been passing on.

At the turn of the century when I finally made the trip to Kentucky and toured Wild Turkey, I was amazed to find Jimmy Russell in the gift shop and even more amazed when he sat down with my friend and me and started to talk bourbon.    He dutifully signed my bottle of Tribute and asked what I had paid for it (marveling at the bargain I had found) and told us how bourbon peaked at about 8 to 10 years and how hard it was to find barrels that improved past that point.   Who knows?  Maybe he was right.

I'll pick up a bottle of 9 year old Knob Creek Single Barrel and report back.

IMG_5722.thumb.jpg.6af8250d1b413a59e1e499e21fb3da41.jpg

Edited by scratchline
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, scratchline said:

I've been acquiring and sampling this since the lockdown began, seeking out the older barrels as they've slowly disappeared.   12 to 15 years generally.  This is 11+ years and I've got it back up.  It outshone the 14+ bottle I was comparing it to tonight and it's terrific whiskey but it makes me wonder about the 9 year single barrel that I've been passing on.

At the turn of the century when I finally made the trip to Kentucky and toured Wild Turkey, I was amazed to find Jimmy Russell in the gift shop and even more amazed when he sat down with my friend and me and started to talk bourbon.    He dutifully signed my bottle of Tribute and asked what I had paid for it (marveling at the bargain I had found) and told us how bourbon peaked at about 8 to 10 years and how hard it was to find barrels that improved past that point.   Who knows?  Maybe he was right.

I'll pick up a bottle of 9 year old Knob Creek Single Barrel and report back.

IMG_5722.thumb.jpg.6af8250d1b413a59e1e499e21fb3da41.jpg

I've seen a couple of Knob Creek blinds online that find the 12-year to be the sweet spot, preferring it to the 15-year.   The exception was some of the barrel picks in the 11-14-year range, which were preferred over the 12-year.  Dunno. 

Mixing some WR and OGD114 at no particular rate. I just trying and trying and trying to get it right. It's good but I need to keep trying. :) 

Enjoyed some RRSiB PS earlier, now just poured some Stagg Junior 129.7.  Wow, really rough year to be an Astros fan in more ways than one, but tonight finally had something positive happen in the 8th and 9th innings to pull off an upset over the Dodgers.  I'll take it.

• I like it 1

Enjoying a couple of pours from WT Decades to celebrate College Football finally getting it going. 

I really love Decades. It is a good thing, I have a few bottles stashed away. :-))

Boomer!

Cheers

IMG_4185.JPG

• I like it 1

On 9/11/2020 at 3:52 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Heavy, heavy rain in the Wash DC area yesterday - recordsetting.  HAD to drive to a doc's in the midst of it - water flowing across roads, people stopping in underpasses, white-outs regardless of wiper speeds, etc.  I saw NO accidents.

This AM was cloudy but better.  This PM, now that the water has flowed out of the basement and things are drying nicely, I finished off the dregs of a KC 375 I've been nursing in front of the TV for several days and am now finishing off the dregs of a JB "Extra Aged" 375 I used to dilute a bottle of Booker's I was not happy with.  Looks to be a Beam night as I just placed a delivery order for OGD BIB so I don't have to ration my last 750.  After dinner, of course.

ATL at Nats on the TV now.  I am in Fat City.  EDIT - the non sequiturs in that paragraph PROVE life for me is fat.

You are being remarkably casual about water in the basement. Hasn't happened here in a while but it's a big deal when it does!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.