What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Summer 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Started my Labor Day weekend early with a week of vacation. Had a bit of Strananhan’s to start tonight. Then had a bit of Longbranch.  Alright, alright, alright. Going to do a sausage stuffed pork loin tomorrow on the smoker. 

11 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Nice! When did TW get a WFP PS?

He got this at the Fairview Heights store back in the spring. It's pretty fantastic 

22 hours ago, 0895 said:

Some tasty Baker’s tonight after a unexplainably annoying day at work.

?

Still using my new favorite glass (newly enjoying a glass that’s been here a few years).  Everything tastes great from this glass, so I’ve temporarily sidelined my glens.

394ABD27-2E59-4A89-9D68-DAEFA22601D4.jpeg

I have these revelations on glassware a couple times per year.  I find that when it happens that an unthought of glass seems to bring new things to my bourbon experience, it almost makes me giddy.  ?.  I’m not sure if that BT glass is standard size, or a touch smaller, but I’ve definitely had the Epiphany moment by switching to a full size rocks glass from glencairns or other smaller sized glassware.  

• I like it 2

Found a dust-covered BUT non-dusty KC9yo 375 that’d fallen behind a WTMK box.  I think I picked it up circa June 2018 on sale.  Figured I’d take it fishing and never did - WT 101 KSBW being my fish finder.  I sure hope I don’t finish it all tonight.B)

• I like it 2

Currently drinking a blend of 8-15 year cask strength bourbon & rye with a small amount of Rhetoric 23 & 23 year armagnac.

• I like it 1

Long holiday weekend for me since I took Thursday and Friday off for a Paintcation.  I rocked through it in two days!  Soccer match tomorrow morning and then 2 1/2 days of nothing but rest!  Hit OF100, followed by WTRB, and then another WTRB

Just now, JCwhammie said:

Another quiet gem from HH

20200904_210826.jpg

Did they start making this again?  I thought it was discontinued a number of years ago.

Biba! Joe

31 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Did they start making this again?  I thought it was discontinued a number of years ago.

Biba! Joe

As far as I know it's just available in KY. 

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

...but I’ve definitely had the Epiphany moment by switching to a full size rocks glass from glencairns or other smaller sized glassware.  

sounds like you fair better than I.  when I switch from smaller glass to something larger for neat whiskey, like say larger tumbler such as collins or highball glass, I experience the opposite of epiphany

Last weekend I climbed the Weller Ladder and it was superb. This weekend I'm going to climb a "non-Weller wheater" Ladder.  Already finished off the last dregs of a PS Larceny bottle tonight, and just poured some RY10 here. Next up will be some Old Fitz BiB 9 yr, then I have to decide which of the unopened bottles I crack. Not sure I'll tackle the EHT Seasoned wood this go around  tho. ?

20200904_223803.jpg

• I like it 7

Enjoying RRSiB. From a few years back. Very tasty, but I think a little younger than today's RRSIB. That is a good thing from where I sit. 

Cheers 

• I like it 1

16 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Last weekend I climbed the Weller Ladder and it was superb. This weekend I'm going to climb a "non-Weller wheater" Ladder.  Already finished off the last dregs of a PS Larceny bottle tonight, and just poured some RY10 here. Next up will be some Old Fitz BiB 9 yr, then I have to decide which of the unopened bottles I crack. Not sure I'll tackle the EHT Seasoned wood this go around  tho. ?

20200904_223803.jpg

My hat is off to your ingenuity. I think we can forget sometimes how many Non-Weller wheats are available. It will be hard to follow the OFBiB 9yr. That is a fun whiskey. I vote for MM PS. Whichever you choose, 

Have fun. 

Cheers

6 minutes ago, Wedelstaedt said:

My hat is off to your ingenuity. I think we can forget sometimes how many Non-Weller wheats are available. It will be hard to follow the OFBiB 9yr. That is a fun whiskey. I vote for MM PS. Whichever you choose, 

Have fun. 

Cheers

I like how you think!  Good point about a letdown from the 9 Year, so I decided to crack the 1792 SW and drink it next. It's only 91 proof so best to move up from there instead of the other way around.

• I like it 1

I made a new batch of clear ice this week. I had a late day at work the night it was finishing so it froze a bit more than I usually allow. As a result the blocks are extra large, maybe a centimeter to spare between the ice and a standard lowball glass’ diameter.  Naturally I had to pour something strong to test it with. Went with a freshly opened ECBP C919, and was not disappointed. I gotta say though, I tried a sip neat as well, and I certainly prefer it with the cube.

3BAF3C15-71AF-4679-90C2-1E5C2CF2D901.jpeg

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, Kepler said:

20200904_223803.jpg

Hey, a member of the Weller Horde is a member of the Wheater Horde. ?  Very nice Kepler.  ?   FWIW, I still have one of those liter bottles of Old Fitz BIB. It’s stashed away in the very back of my cabinet so I won’t be tempted to grab it.  ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, Kepler said:

Last weekend I climbed the Weller Ladder and it was superb. This weekend I'm going to climb a "non-Weller wheater" Ladder. 

Not sure I'll tackle the EHT Seasoned wood this go around  tho. ?

20200904_223803.jpg

Awesome selection.  That 9y OFBiB is great.

Just for the sake of argument, could the EHT technically be considered part of the Weller ladder... maybe in a cousin sort of way?

1 minute ago, 0895 said:

Just for the sake of argument, could the EHT technically be considered part of the Weller ladder... maybe in a cousin sort of way?

Second the Old Fitz 9 year BiB!  I have been enjoying it this week along with some RHF.

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

yep that's true. But trust me, we don't want to go down that path, lest we kick off another controversial discussion about the pappiez....  ?

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Hey, a member of the Weller Horde is a member of the Wheater Horde. ?  Very nice Kepler.  ?   FWIW, I still have one of those liter bottles of Old Fitz BIB. It’s stashed away in the very back of my cabinet so I won’t be tempted to grab it.  ?

Biba! Joe

We got all kinda great Hordes around here! ?

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I have these revelations on glassware a couple times per year.  I find that when it happens that an unthought of glass seems to bring new things to my bourbon experience, it almost makes me giddy.  ?.  I’m not sure if that BT glass is standard size, or a touch smaller, but I’ve definitely had the Epiphany moment by switching to a full size rocks glass from glencairns or other smaller sized glassware.  

I made the switch to full size rocks glasses a while ago and haven't looked back.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.