New CEHT “18 year marriage”

tanstaafl2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Got to try this today. My store got ONE bottle of it so the owner did the only logical thing (well second logical thing. The first logical thing would be to sell it to me! ?) and opened it up to let good customers (and his spirits consultant of course!) Get a chance to at least try it. A blend of the two BT rye bourbon mashbills plus the Weller mashbill at 18 years of age produced a whiskey with a lot of corn and corn sweetness was the first thing I tasted. Back of the palate dried out a bit and even got a touch bitter before a medium long dry but not ashy finish. A couple drops of water seemed to take out the slight bitterness. At retail price of around $80 it wouldn’t be too bad. Of course I am already hearing of stores are marking it up to $200 plus and even more on the flipper circuit. No thanks.

C94F220E-5060-43D3-8E84-760A303EB107.jpeg.0ce2dc86350cfdff3933cbb207b8bfdf.jpeg0431BE2E-E603-4CC6-B6A7-18AC619D3259.jpeg.584216d187320b20db3db301bacc9c6a.jpeg

And for those of you who are observant that is the back of a bottle of Mallort in the background. It is now sold in Georgia! Don’t everybody rush out at once to buy one...

• I like it 9

I'd buy it in a heartbeat for $80.  Cool to see that BT has distillate this old to blend.

• I like it 1

Thanks for the review, Bruce.  The whiskey has great specs, for sure.  Surprised to hear it has a sweetness to it, before going dryish.  Tough to get that at 18 years.  Yeah, I could see myself parting with $80 for it.  

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Thanks for the review, Bruce.  The whiskey has great specs, for sure.  Surprised to hear it has a sweetness to it, before going dryish.  Tough to get that at 18 years.  Yeah, I could see myself parting with $80 for it.  

It was indeed a bit surprising. Clearly I need to go back and try it again. You know, just to be sure!

• I like it 2

On 6/24/2020 at 2:59 PM, PhantomLamb said:

I'd buy it in a heartbeat for $80.  Cool to see that BT has distillate this old to blend.

Wonder if it's stuff too harsh to go into ER 17...? 

Haven’t seen any locally... Heard in ATL 1 sold for $1000 at a store... Saw one go for $1900 on a secondary site 

Having tried it I would say about $100 is not unreasonable (retail is about $80!). $200 is a serious reach but $1000 is just stupid. 

11 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Having tried it I would say about $100 is not unreasonable (retail is about $80!). $200 is a serious reach but $1000 is just stupid. 

I have been fortunate through luck and the generosity of others to try hundreds of amazing bourbons over the last 20 years.  I have never had a bourbon where I could say that $1000 wouldn't be stupid.  

• I like it 2

59 minutes ago, BigRich said:

I have been fortunate through luck and the generosity of others to try hundreds of amazing bourbons over the last 20 years.  I have never had a bourbon where I could say that $1000 wouldn't be stupid.  

Couldn’t agree more. Passed on this one a few days ago

172CB1A1-371A-4067-9726-C5C4AAF9E900.jpeg

6 hours ago, Not_That_Fancy said:

Couldn’t agree more. Passed on this one a few days ago

172CB1A1-371A-4067-9726-C5C4AAF9E900.jpeg

Can’t read the tag. Is it $1000? Seems only likely given this thread!

4 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

4 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Sure is. But he was gonna give me a deal at $950 ??

42 minutes ago, Not_That_Fancy said:

Quite the "Deal" at 10+X's  MSRP - lol

Just for perspective.....

I can think of about two dozen very nice Bourbons, a bottle of any one of which could be had for that $50 discount... and many of which would provide a decent amount a change back in the bargain.

So, that means that the fifty bux off is a substantial discount; but, it also means that the thousand bux asking price is exorbitant.   Two ways to look at such a decision, I guess.

I think I'd keep my wallet in my pocket, or maybe pull it out in search of my own 'fiddy' and come home with a bottle (or even two) that would provide me with plenty enough enjoyment for the expenditure.

• I like it 1

17 hours ago, Not_That_Fancy said:

What if he threw in the Vera Wang glasses?

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

Bruce, I read the specs on this and was VERY intrigued. The sparse reviews online support yours. It’s layered and interesting but not worth the hype/markup/insanity. 

• 4 months later...

Just had someone offer a bottle of the CEHT 18yr Marriage in trade for a PVW15 + 2020 GTS.   "Not in this lifetime, my friend!"   🤣

• I like it 5

21 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Just had someone offer a bottle of the CEHT 18yr Marriage in trade for a PVW15 + 2020 GTS.   "Not in this lifetime, my friend!"   🤣

Screenshot_20210124-141010_Samsung Internet.jpg

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

Screenshot_20210124-141010_Samsung Internet.jpg

Hey JC,

You sayin' I "should have taken the shot?"  🤔

Maybe, but I already bought a bottle at MSRP ($85, but who's counting?) and shared it with my animal friends.  Buggers drank the whole thing in 1 sitting.- glad I had a good pour before I started passing it around.   But it never got back to me . . . . . .     🤬

1 minute ago, GeeTen said:

Hey JC,

Maybe, but I already bought a bottle at MSRP ($85, but who's counting?) and shared it with my animal friends.  Buggers drank the whole thing in 1 sitting.- glad I had a good pour before I started passing it around.   But it never got back to me . . . . . .     🤬

No, he's talking about the other guy.

• I like it 2

J/K - hopefully, I'll see him next month in Missouri with some other SB.com crew members after a Covid-19 shortened SEC Swimming Championship at Mizzou.  Social distancing and internal disinfection with bourbon in effect, of course!   😋

• I like it 3

15 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Hey JC,

Heck no you shouldn't have accepted that trade! I was saying the other guy was shooting his shot. And a ridiculous shot it was.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

From what I've seen, I don't think he was asking for enough.

It's a pretty stupid price, but all EHT have just skyrocketed (especially the LE's).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.