Old Tub BIB = unfiltered Jim Beam Bonded

Bourbon Sabbath
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I picked up Beam's unfiltered Old Tub BIB for $22 and it tasted rather familiar.  Just so happened to have Jim Beam Bonded on hand (same price) for comparison. Both are assumed to be four years old since the labels do not state otherwise  My iron pallette tells me they are pretty much identical. I was hoping the not being filtered helped the Old Tub in some way.  Anyone else compared these two?

• I like it 1

I had one of the 375's that I picked up at the distillery and liked it so I grabbed one of the new ones.  It had been a while since I had any and someone in another thread asked about it so I poured some.  To me it was very similar, just a slightly toned down version of Baker's.  Poured some Baker's and, to me they are very similar.  

I'm a fan of JB BiB, so this sounds like an interesting way to explore the effect of chill filtering.  I haven't seen this in FL yet, but when I do I'll be sure to pick up a bottle and report back.

I see it's fairly widespread in the VA ABC.  I'll have to pick this up.  Baby Bakers sounds good.

59 minutes ago, afmadd said:

I see it's fairly widespread in the VA ABC.  I'll have to pick this up.  Baby Bakers sounds good.

THX.  Had not seen this on VABC's "The List".

Maybe THIS explains why JB BIB and its unfiltered/cousin, Distiller's Cut (also 100 proof), have disappeared from just about everywhere but dusty corners in the Wash DC MSA.  Since I like(d) both, I, too, will give this a shot or a 750.

Same price as the older two but ALL the new stuff is in one standard bottle, thus reducing costs associated with switching labels/bottle shapes/advertising.  I do wonder if the stuff inside is better than average for $22.

• I like it 1

Distillers Cut was my favorite lower rye Beam bottle but has been MIA for over a year here. For 22 bucks I'll occasionally pick up an Old Tub. I'm a bigger of the higher rye OGD BIB & 114 tho.  

• I like it 1

This answered a question I was fixin to ask, "where's the Beam Bonded?"  I've not seen it anywhere in south 'Sippi, Alabama, or the parts of Tn that I frequent.  I'll be on the look out for some Old Tub BiB now though.  

That Distiller's Cut was really good, but wasn't it intended to be a limited release? I was hoping that due to the popularity it might stick around, but nay.

2 hours ago, BDanner said:

That Distiller's Cut was really good, but wasn't it intended to be a limited release? I was hoping that due to the popularity it might stick around, but nay.

The marketing I saw when it showed up did indicate that it would be around for a limited time.  It did hang around longer than most of the Beam specials so I  thought it would be semi-permanent.  Alas, I was wrong.

Uh, just had a thought (which itself is scary:blink:) - could it be that the marketing people at JB are simply switching the packaging on the same stuff periodically to get us and the taters (and those of us who ARE taters) to run out and buy scads of each issue before it disappears so we don't forget what's inside the bottle?   It's slightly more expensive than just slapping a "NEW!! and IMPROVED!!" on the label, but it does attract attention to the brand.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
took out a redundancy redundancy and then put two here here
  • I like it 1

I haven’t seen the JB Distillers Cut in a while, but the JB Repeal Batch is still on the shelves at a couple of places in my area. 

36 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

The marketing I saw when it showed up did indicate that it would be around for a limited time.  

Would that be the 'Limited Release' text on the bottle? :D

Enjoying some now!

20200708_213313.thumb.jpg.be331a2d08ddc03f9d6ba9af89fe948f.jpg

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, beasled said:

Would that be the 'Limited Release' text on the bottle? :D

Enjoying some now!

20200708_213313.thumb.jpg.be331a2d08ddc03f9d6ba9af89fe948f.jpg

I KNEW I'd seen "Limited Release" somewhere back then.  My two remaining bottles are on a shelf that requires me to use a ladder to look at them, and if I'd done that before posting, I'd only have one bottle left.?

• I like it 4

18 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

The marketing I saw when it showed up did indicate that it would be around for a limited time.  It did hang around longer than most of the Beam specials so I  thought it would be semi-permanent.  Alas, I was wrong.

Uh, just had a thought (which itself is scary:blink:) - could it be that the marketing people at JB are simply switching the packaging on the same stuff periodically to get us and the taters (and those of us who ARE taters) to run out and buy scads of each issue before it disappears so we don't forget what's inside the bottle?   It's slightly more expensive than just slapping a "NEW!! and IMPROVED!!" on the label, but it does attract attention to the brand.

It could be, thought the Distiller's Cut had a little more age on it IIRC. I'm a little disappointed in the Old Tub. I think they could've put a little more effort into it. Given it a old-timer bottle (similar to what they use for the distillery only release). It's just like they were sitting around one day and said, "Hey! Let's skip the filtering on a couple batches of Beam Bonded, stick it in these leftover OGD Bonded Bottles and call it Old Tub."

• I like it 1

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 1:07 AM, squire said:

No I haven't but it's on my list.

Squire,  Has the OT hit in the great state of Mississippi, yet?

Grabbed a bottle on Friday and it wasn’t my favorite... I gave it a chance (drank half the bottle since it was the only bottle at the rental) but will not be buying another bottle... To me, ET BiB is far and away better. 

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

Squire,  Has the OT hit in the great state of Mississippi, yet?

Donno, I'm still in quarantine.

51 minutes ago, squire said:

Donno, I'm still in quarantine.

I rest assured in the knowledge that your bunker is serving you well.?

• I like it 1

I stopped by one of my local liquor stores a couple of weeks ago. A sales rep that I know just happened to be there. He said it looks like Old Tub is scheduled to arrive here in northern Illinois on July 27th. I ain’t holding my breath though. At the same store, back when EW BIB went to nationwide distribution, I was told it would be on the shelf there in two weeks. It was over two years before that finally happened. :mellow:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Haven't seen it here in Calif. and have been tempted to order in online from out of state.  But it sounds like it will arrive eventually so I think I'll wait and save the shipping fees.  Sounds like it's good but not amazing. 

On 7/4/2020 at 12:45 AM, Bourbon Sabbath said:

Distillers Cut was my favorite lower rye Beam bottle but has been MIA for over a year here. For 22 bucks I'll occasionally pick up an Old Tub. I'm a bigger of the higher rye OGD BIB & 114 tho.  

I saw two bottles of DC at the Louisville Total Wines this week and bought both because I didn't know if this was a re-release of a limited release of if they had just been misplaced in the distributor's warehouse for a couple years. Excellent value.

• I like it 3

• 4 months later...

Finally found some of this in Tn this weekend.  Picked up 2.  I really enjoy it!  I'm a big fan of Beam Bonded, but this is a lot better in my opinion.  

• I like it 1

58 minutes ago, Mule Skinner said:

Finally found some of this in Tn this weekend.  Picked up 2.  I really enjoy it!  I'm a big fan of Beam Bonded, but this is a lot better in my opinion.  

At last someone agrees with me!  Lol jk.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.