4th of July Bourbon

scratchline
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The last thing I need to be doing is buying another bottle of bourbon but... 

Given the occasion and the fact that America basically perfected whiskey (among so many other things), a special Independence Day bottle seems to be in order.  I'm torn between the Booker's Backyard BBQ or the Elijah Craig A120.  One of them will be joining me for the holiday.

What say you?  What medicine will you be using to toast America's health in this hour of Covid and civil unrest?  Methinks we needs drink deep!

Edited by scratchline
  • I like it 5

Little Book No. 2 (found a bottle at a local store near home) as soon as we get back on the mainland July 4th.  No need to stay late on Block Island since both the parade and fireworks have been cancelled (dang Covid-19, may you burn in HELL!).  ?

• I like it 3

I recently opened a 2018 GTS to share with some friends at a socially distanced backyard gathering.  I will be tapping back into that bottle to celebrate Independence Day. 

• I like it 6

Either of 'em is probably more available... and maybe more reasonably priced than many more dynamic options.   That said, I'd go with the ECBP, A-119 between those two.

• I like it 1

I’m not sure what I’ll be having this holiday weekend, but it will probably be something Weller. Who knows. I might just run the entire ladder of my open Wellers. ?

Be well, stay safe, and Biba!

Joe

• I like it 2

47 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I’m not sure what I’ll be having this holiday weekend, but it will probably be something Weller. Who knows. I might just run the entire ladder of my open Wellers. ?

Be well, stay safe, and Biba!

Joe

Just for reference.......:D

DSC_0008 3.jpeg

• I like it 7

Already enjoying a store pick KC rye, and have a pinhook rye'd on on deck. I feel like the creme brulee finish will pair really well with bbq. But who knows. I have some other whiskies begging for a special occasion.

Since I’m a working man this weekend I decided to swing by the store on the way home today so I could go ahead and celebrate.  Never had Old Bardstown and it was reasonably priced so I went with that.

So now I’m home, out on my patio listening to Dead and Company and finishing my first pour.  Perhaps my fondness of Willet’s Pot Still gave me too high an expectation, but I’m underwhelmed.  It’s not bad and it’s pretty easy to drink.  I’ll probably pour something else.

• I like it 2

13 hours ago, BigRich said:

I recently opened a 2018 GTS to share with some friends at a socially distanced backyard gathering.  I will be tapping back into that bottle to celebrate Independence Day. 

Beat me to it Rich. I too will be tapping into the King on this holiday.

The die is cast (I can always pick up the EC later).   Booker's it is.   I rarely buy Booker's but I did purchase a bottle as a Xmas gift for a friend last year.  After tax, it was pushing 100 bucks.  Them's NYC prices.  I was happy to get away for 70 on the Backyard BBQ.  Looking forward to tomorrow.  We're even supposed to have some nice grilling weather towards the end of the day.

IMG_5053.thumb.jpg.917fd1f224470e197db4172fad106fa6.jpg

• I like it 2

Since we may be around the firepit tomorrow night watching the neighborhood informal fireworks show, not a bourbon, but Ardbeg Uigeadail is probably what I'll be sipping.  My favorite firepit drink.

Old Grand Dad 114 spoke to me from the liquor store shelf today, for my 4th of July bottle.  Nah, he didn’t really speak (or did he...? ?), he just looked at me in his stern and stately manner and an undeniable expectation that I do the right thing.  Which, I did by taking him to the counter for purchase....with respectful reverence, of course.  ?

Happy Independence Day, Y’all!!!

6CF299C0-1BBF-4B02-A137-E0A9DFA371ED.jpeg

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 6

9DBB5C6C-7E6D-423C-9D6D-0468A6B8E68D.thumb.jpeg.1574e62b35857b6540709987aabc88c6.jpegI’ve decided on my Independence Day Bourbon, Eagle Rare 10y.... Not to heavy (for a hot summer day), a good 90 proof, and here lately they have been really good, and this one does not disappoint. 
And of course it has a beautiful (bad ass) Eagle on it. 

Edited by LCWoody
  • I like it 6

32 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

9DBB5C6C-7E6D-423C-9D6D-0468A6B8E68D.thumb.jpeg.1574e62b35857b6540709987aabc88c6.jpegI’ve decided on my Independence Day Bourbon, Eagle Rare 10y.... Not to heavy (for a hot summer day), a good 90 proof, and here lately they have been really good, and this one does not disappoint. 
And of course it has a beautiful (bad ass) Eagle on it. 

Great selection!  

Having looked over my extensive array of opened Bourbon bottles, I settled upon a low-fill bottle of Booker's from a few years ago (before the ridiculous price escalation) to at least begin the Independence Day celebrating.

I won't pour any quite yet; it's barely past 7 a.m.    And, this bottle (2016-03, Toogie's Invitation) won't be enough for the entire day, I fear.   So, as a back-up I have another Booker's with rather more in it ready to step in; 30th Anniversary.     That one is half full, so I should be fine.

Congratulations to our Nation, and ALL of it's citizens, in spite of the fact that many seem bent on tearing it apart recently.   

Let's all try to remember that while a 'perfect union' is the goal, perfection is never achievable.   

The striving toward "a more perfect union" is however doable.   That striving must never cease; but damning all for the shortcomings of some is not helpful.    'Nuff said.

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

Congratulations to our Nation, and ALL of it's citizens, in spite of the fact that many seem bent on tearing it apart recently.   

Let's all try to remember that while a 'perfect union' is the goal, perfection is never achievable.   

The striving toward "a more perfect union" is however doable.   That striving must never cease; but damning all for the shortcomings of some is not helpful.    'Nuff said.

Beautifully put.  Happy Birthday, America!  Happy Birthday, all Americans!

I've been in sort of an open bottle kill mode the last couple weeks.  So now I have room in the cabinet, and can properly celebrate the 4th by opening a bottle from the bunker around fireworks time.  My choice - JTS Brown BIB.  I have Rebel Yell 100 in the cabinet too.  I haven't had anything since some Scotch the other day.  I've noticed that if I drink Scotch, then a day or so later return to Bourbon, I pick out all sorts of flavors that I may have taken for granted.  The barrel notes seem quite rich.

Happy Independence Day to all. ??????

• I like it 2

Decided on the ECSmB while I grill Beer Bratz and Burgers. Wifey going to try the 4RSmB. I might have to steal the bottle back from her!

50074989336_d0d6d6925d_h.jpg

• I like it 1

Figured I’d break in my new pandemic glass today.  Happy birthday America!

FC2F14A7-6960-4F83-88F6-E51A1B09DA89.jpeg

• I like it 4

^^The Cult approves ^^

Prost!  Phil 

• I like it 4

Hard to chase 4R Al Young with anything, but this was a good choice.  The oakiness and dark fruits/ cherry cordial picks up right where AY left off (2018 BB for those curious).

Cheers!

BF2675B6-8A17-4018-94E7-B6665FF8D657.jpeg

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 1

Startin' off with some 1792FP... Then after a couple pours of that crackin' the lid on a EWBIB.  Good night y'all!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.