Dickel BiB second release

Mule Skinner
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I picked up a few of the 2nd release.  It's an 11 year old, that I find very good.  Same price point as the first release.  I was curious if the 13 year old was going to be a one and done, but not the case.  

• I like it 1

I picked up a bottle of this on Memorial Day to gift to someone I know who likes Dickel.  Not sure if it was a lingering first release or the second release.  Then, I did a little research on it and wished I had picked up one for myself.  Apparently, Dickel's Nicole Austin who came on in 2018 is batting a thousand with both bib releases.  

• I like it 1

To me, the new 11 year old batch is very similar to the first 13 year old batch. I haven’t done a side by side comparison yet, but if you liked the first batch, I’m pretty sure you’ll like the second batch. Pricing is actually up about five bucks from the first batch. Most stores increased the price of the first batch after it received all the accolades, and the distributors sold out without any indication if there would be a second batch. So, the current price of around $40 may not appear to be much different to most people since they never noticed it when it was priced around $35. It’s still a bargain in my mind for an 11yr BIB whiskey/bourbon, unless you’re one of those Dickel haters...you know who you are...?

• I like it 3

I’ve noticed that all the second release bottles I’ve encountered are 750’s, whereas the first release bottles were 1L.  

Anyone out there seeing any 1L 2nd release bottles?

15 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I’ve noticed that all the second release bottles I’ve encountered are 750’s, whereas the first release bottles were 1L.  

Anyone out there seeing any 1L 2nd release bottles?

Interesting, I never saw any 1L bottles in my area with the first release...they were all 750ml. 

2 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Interesting, I never saw any 1L bottles in my area with the first release...they were all 750ml. 

Same here - the only 1L new releases I've seen lately are the ET BIB (another awesome BIB for the money!)  

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

To me, the new 11 year old batch is very similar to the first 13 year old batch. I haven’t done a side by side comparison yet, but if you liked the first batch, I’m pretty sure you’ll like the second batch. Pricing is actually up about five bucks from the first batch. Most stores increased the price of the first batch after it received all the accolades, and the distributors sold out without any indication if there would be a second batch. So, the current price of around $40 may not appear to be much different to most people since they never noticed it when it was priced around $35. It’s still a bargain in my mind for an 11yr BIB whiskey/bourbon, unless you’re one of those Dickel haters...you know who you are...?

As far as I know this will be an annual release. I had planned to get the new one and SBS with the 13yr but I am seriously curtailing purchases and will instead hold out for the RB rye. For that reason I am glad to hear the new release is similar to the 13yr as I still have about 2/3 of that one, maybe I'll be ready again next year.  The 13 was on shelves as recently as a couple of months ago and just this week the shelves were flush with the new 11 yr version. A fine whiskey and I am glad to see enthusiast focused releases like this, those are the distilleries I like to support when I do purchase, plus I really like  GD.

Edited by kcgumbohead
  • I like it 1

• 3 months later...

I saw this 11 year on the shelf the other day. I have not in the past been a fan of the Dickel 'house flavor' if you know what I mean.

I did a quick survey of reviews and found several mentioned the vitaminish note was not overly present in this bottling. cool

So I took a chance and picked up a bottle. In my area it was 45$. We're always higher than elsewhere no big deal

Deelightful juice indeed. It comes off to my palate as some old vintage JD rather than any Dickel I have encountered. In a good way.

It got me curious if it was really a George Dickel product. Rather than look a gift booze in the mouth, I went and invested in another bottle for later... haha

Cheers,

RW

• I like it 1

On 10/29/2020 at 6:06 PM, RWBadley said:

I saw this 11 year on the shelf the other day. I have not in the past been a fan of the Dickel 'house flavor' if you know what I mean.

I did a quick survey of reviews and found several mentioned the vitaminish note was not overly present in this bottling. cool

So I took a chance and picked up a bottle. In my area it was 45$. We're always higher than elsewhere no big deal

Deelightful juice indeed. It comes off to my palate as some old vintage JD rather than any Dickel I have encountered. In a good way.

It got me curious if it was really a George Dickel product. Rather than look a gift booze in the mouth, I went and invested in another bottle for later... haha

Cheers,

RW

I did not care for the second release much at all (which I think I said somewhere on the board at the time). More expensive for a younger aged whiskey that quite frankly seemed rather bland compared to the first one (which I thought was pretty good). Palates are different of course!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2020 at 6:06 PM, RWBadley said:

I went out looking for the new BIB release yesterday and was unsuccessful,  and as a consolation picked up a bottle of the Dickel Barrel Select which I hadn't had in a while.    The Barrel Select has a  much less prominent vitamin note than the the first release BIB,  and is,  IMO,  quite excellent.   It will be interesting to compare the small batch Barrel Select (10 -12 yo) with the new BIB,  which is ,  I presume,  a batched whisky from all 11 year barrels.    

Edited by Jazzhead

• 2 months later...
On 2/6/2021 at 4:37 PM, BDanner said:

According to TTB, the 3rd release is back at 13 years. Hope it is as good as the first release.

After the uninspiring second release color me dubious.

And if the price goes up yet again color me a non-buyer...

14 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

After the uninspiring second release color me dubious.

And if the price goes up yet again color me a non-buyer...

Price on the 2nd release was $36 here, same as the first. Hopefully, if it does go up, it won't rise by much. 

On 2/9/2021 at 9:58 AM, BDanner said:

Price on the 2nd release was $36 here, same as the first. Hopefully, if it does go up, it won't rise by much. 

I don’t recall the exact numbers but the second release was definitely more than the first in my area.

• I like it 1

On 2/12/2021 at 11:45 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

I don’t recall the exact numbers but the second release was definitely more than the first in my area.

Same in my area. Diageo definitely upped the price on the second release. I think retailers in some markets bumped the price up on the first release after it received all the accolades, so those markets may not have noticed much of a jump in price on the second release since they were already used to paying a higher price.

On 2/13/2021 at 12:45 AM, tanstaafl2 said:

16 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Same in my area. Diageo definitely upped the price on the second release. I think retailers in some markets bumped the price up on the first release after it received all the accolades, so those markets may not have noticed much of a jump in price on the second release since they were already used to paying a higher price.

I'm in a control state...I checked the NC ABC website and there was a slight increase from 36.95 to 39.95 in MSRP between the 1st and 2nd release.

6 hours ago, BDanner said:

I'm in a control state...I checked the NC ABC website and there was a slight increase from 36.95 to 39.95 in MSRP between the 1st and 2nd release.

It jumped at least $5 in my area...from $35 (some places had it for a few dollars less) to approximately $40. 

• I like it 1

• 2 months later...

Is this 13 year the third release? Wife picked it up for me today

38 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Is this 13 year the third release? Wife picked it up for me today

Yes, it just dropped.  

• I like it 2

• 1 month later...

Wow...the 2nd release of 13year just took a $14 price jump in MSRP in NC ABC system. Went from $36 to $50. Glad I snagged a couple before that happened. Looking forward to the release of the 8year Bourbon from Dickel. It is in the system for $33.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/15/2021 at 9:20 AM, BDanner said:

Wow...the 2nd release of 13year just took a $14 price jump in MSRP in NC ABC system. Went from $36 to $50. Glad I snagged a couple before that happened. Looking forward to the release of the 8year Bourbon from Dickel. It is in the system for $33.

If the third release is as "good" as the second along with a significant price jump then I am definitely a non buyer. Second release was pretty underwhelming. And when compared to the first release it was even more underwhelming.

• I like it 1

I bought around 2 (12pack) cases of the 1st batch, I think they were around $33. I bought 1 bottle of batch 2 and no more. The 1st batch is pretty special for the price. 

• I like it 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

2nd batch was still in our ABC stores till about month ago.  still plenty of 3rd batch available in spite of my best efforts to grab all of it.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.