Red Spot 15

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

KevinBrinks thread was locked, or I would've just added my question there. I just picked up 5 bottles of Red Spot 15. Only 1-2 are for me. The others are for friends that are huge fans of the stuff. My question is, was this a one time re-release in 18-19 or are there plans for this one to be a recurring release? One of the guys that is getting them as a gift would certainly appreciate the rest of the ones on the shelf if they are going to be a one time release (I do realize the prior history of this label). Thanks for any guidance. 

Don't know that it has been formally stated but my guess is that it will be an onging release just like the Green Spot and Yellow Spot. At 15 years it may not show up as often but I would be surprised if it was one and done.

• I like it 3

15 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Don't know that it has been formally stated but my guess is that it will be an onging release just like the Green Spot and Yellow Spot. At 15 years it may not show up as often but I would be surprised if it was one and done.

This is what I've read in the various pubs, also.  It's a regular line extension - subject to sales velocity, of course.

Thanks fellas..I'll take it down a notch and trust that I'll be able to get it again. Also..some of the reviews say that Redbreast 15 is better overall the the RedSpot. Of course  that's subjective but have any of you tried both? I've got to wait for mine to be muled up to TN. 

Edited by FasterHorses

On 7/15/2020 at 10:01 PM, FasterHorses said:

Thanks fellas..I'll take it down a notch and trust that I'll be able to get it again. Also..some of the reviews say that Redbreast 15 is better overall the the RedSpot. Of course  that's subjective but have any of you tried both? I've got to wait for mine to be muled up to TN. 

I have both but not tried them together.

Yet!

Kind of surprised haven’t done so. Although barrel management is pretty different between the two.

• I like it 1

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Tony Santana said:

Is this available in the States now?  Would love to get my hands on one.

It was briefly and you may find a bottle around but not sure there has been more released since it first came out.

Wine searcher shows it at one store in Massachusetts but that isn’t always reliable.

I saw it in Miami last year & early this year (Total Wine).  Looks like it is available for pick-up in scattered stores (Miami, FL, Danvers, MA) and on some locations states expected to be in stock in October 2020.  Maybe limited stock led to limited distribution the first time out, but hopefully that is expanded.  

• 2 weeks later...

In the last week or so I've seen a couple of retailers in the UK restock this, so hopefully that means it is still being produced and some are on their way over there!

• I like it 1

• 2 months later...

Hey, I found a Red Spot.  Haven't opened it yet.  Planning a Green/Yellow/Red side by side this weekend.

• I like it 5

17 hours ago, Tony Santana said:

Hey, I found a Red Spot.  Haven't opened it yet.  Planning a Green/Yellow/Red side by side this weekend.

We've just had a Blue release... 7 year old cask strength. 

• I like it 1

On 12/11/2020 at 3:00 PM, beasled said:

We've just had a Blue release... 7 year old cask strength. 

Indeed! But sadly no telling when it might cross the pond.

If Blue Spot is seven years with ex bourbon, sherry and Madeira finishing it will be interesting to see how it compares to the current Green Spot which is not age stated but generally alleged to be 7-10 years old with ex-bourbon and sherry cask finishing (traditionally the original Green Spot was an age stated 10 year old). I wonder if they will eventually push it back up to a 10 year age stated whiskey again now that Blue spot has been released.  

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Indeed! But sadly no telling when it might cross the pond.

If Blue Spot is seven years with ex bourbon, sherry and Madeira finishing it will be interesting to see how it compares to the current Green Spot which is not age stated but generally alleged to be 7-10 years old with ex-bourbon and sherry cask finishing (traditionally the original Green Spot was an age stated 10 year old). I wonder if they will eventually push it back up to a 10 year age stated whiskey again now that Blue spot has been released.  

Some have suggested the reintroduction of the Blue will push the price of the Yellow up, as at the moment they are about the same here. Which would be a shame. Would be nice to an age on the Green.

Blue and yellow spot at the same price seems a bit excessive, not to mention highly disappointing. Yellow currently seems to be priced reasonably. Blue should be less although I accept it might not be because prices are generally stupid and getting worse.

• 5 months later...

2021 Update!  Prices in the Beantown area are Green Spot ($61.99), Yellow Spot ($99.99), Blue Spot ($109.99), and Red Spot ($129.99) OTD.  Yeah, we have some Irish whiskey around here - go figure!   🤣

• I like it 1

• 7 months later...
10 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Yellow spot seems to be scarce now.

I haven't seen any "spots" in quite a while. 

1 hour ago, BigRich said:

I haven't seen any "spots" in quite a while. 

Not sure if this is related to someone leaving for Big Canoe, or the effectiveness of penicillin.  Either way, glad to hear it ;) 

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...

Green spots(and the occasional special editions) are occasionally still around (just ask @troyce about the Big Canoe special!). I occasionally see a yellow here and there in Georgia but blue and red have been no where to be seen since they were initially released. I would love to have more blue in particular.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven’t seen any color “Spot” in quite a while! I’m not sure what is going on with them. Of course anything other than Redbreast 12yr is pretty scarce too.

8 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I haven’t seen any color “Spot” in quite a while! I’m not sure what is going on with them. Of course anything other than Redbreast 12yr is pretty scarce too.

I'm not seeing much of the Redbreast 12 yr either.  The only single pot still I see around Atlanta with continued regularity is the Powers John's Lane. 

• 2 weeks later...

I see regular Redbreast 12 (but not cask strength) and the very occasional Yellow Spot around Atlanta. Saw a Blue Spot on Astor for a ridiculous marked up price of around $175. Don't know why it was so expensive as it was originally around $100 (slightly, but only slightly, more reasonable). I like it but not at that price.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.