Wild Turkey Masters Keep Bottled in Bond

AndyD
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have been looking at the abbreviations list while reading the forums and that list from 7/17 has WTMK as one of the abbreviations.  I did a quick search under that abbreviation and found this:  https://www.straightbourbon.com/community/search/?q=wtmk&quick=1

That search brought up 159 results. 

Looks like I would love to try a 2 oz pour.  What do you think of it?

58 minutes ago, AndyD said:

Can’t believe there is no thread for this one yet.

I absolutely confused.  Is there a Wild Turkey Masters Keep release that is "bottled in bond"?  The only WTMK I thought I had missed is the Cornerstone Rye, and I decided not to pursue it because (a) rye whiskey is a secondary obsession, (2) I was late to the party on its release so likely would have to buy it on the secondary market which (i) is illegal, (ii)  is confusing to me, and (iii) unreasonably expensive for what I am drinking, and (C) RYE WHISKEY GIVE ME HEARTBURN IF I DRINK IT LATE AT NIGHT!!!

I didn't see this post until after 9 PM local - that's too late.  SO, back to OGD BIB.

9 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I absolutely confused.  Is there a Wild Turkey Masters Keep release that is "bottled in bond"?  The only WTMK I thought I had missed is the Cornerstone Rye, and I decided not to pursue it because (a) rye whiskey is a secondary obsession, (2) I was late to the party on its release so likely would have to buy it on the secondary market which (i) is illegal, (ii)  is confusing to me, and (iii) unreasonably expensive for what I am drinking, and (C) RYE WHISKEY GIVE ME HEARTBURN IF I DRINK IT LATE AT NIGHT!!!

I didn't see this post until after 9 PM local - that's too late.  SO, back to OGD BIB.

The next iteration of WTMK after the Cornerstone Rye from last year Is a 17yo BIB Bourbon and it is starting to roll out now. I would guess availability will be limited, flippers will be out in droves and black market bottles will be stupid expensive.

Well, MORE stupid expensive than it already is...

Edited by tanstaafl2
  • I like it 1

8 hours ago, AndyD said:

Can’t believe there is no thread for this one yet.

Apparently, there’s not much to say about it...  ?

Ohio has it listed on OHLQ for $199.99, but not showing any availability yet.

Well, one disappointing thought occurs right out of the gate....

Diminished Wild Turkey at any age is . . . well, still diminished Wild Turkey, no?    I mean NOT 101-proof?     Just not the same at a mere 100-proof, eh?   

Kidding!   I don't imagine I could distinguish it from a-half percentage point difference, and probably few could.   

I have not owned any; but, haven't some other MK releases been even lower ABV?    Wasn't there one a few years ago that was barrel-proof at something in nineties?

10 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Can't go wrong with that...

3 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Well, one disappointing thought occurs right out of the gate....

Diminished Wild Turkey at any age is . . . well, still diminished Wild Turkey, no?    I mean NOT 101-proof?     Just not the same at a mere 100-proof, eh?   

Kidding!   I don't imagine I could distinguish it from a-half percentage point difference, and probably few could.   

I have not owned any; but, haven't some other MK releases been even lower ABV?    Wasn't there one a few years ago that was barrel-proof at something in nineties?

The very first one was a 17yo at 86.6 pf (I think that is a proof WT has traditionally used in the past) which was supposedly near the cask strength. I recall reading that it had proofed down naturally to around 89 in the barrel. Why they cut it further just to achieve a “traditional” proof from the past is beyond me!

Then again cutting any whiskey is an unforgivable sin to me!

• I like it 4

13 hours ago, Phil T said:

Ohio has it listed on OHLQ for $199.99, but not showing any availability yet.

I have a friend who has already bought a bottle in Ohio

It hit MN about 2 weeks ago.  

It’s definitely an interesting pour.  Heavy on cherry luden and oak.  Very unique among the other LE releases this year.

On 7/13/2020 at 10:37 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

(a) rye whiskey is a secondary obsession,

B.  False

On 7/17/2020 at 7:43 PM, 0895 said:

B.  False

It's become my primary obsession in the last 6 months. I'll buy every cornerstone I find. 

• I like it 1

26 minutes ago, TimeWillTell said:

It's become my primary obsession in the last 6 months. I'll buy every cornerstone I find. 

Wish it was still sitting around, but it all got gobbled up (pun intended) here within a few days.

Just put on the market here in PA but only available in Chester county so no hope there.

23 hours ago, 0895 said:

Wish it was still sitting around, but it all got gobbled up (pun intended) here within a few days.

I lucked into 2 recently. 1 I bought and 1 gifted to me. Maybe I'll luck into a 3rd!

• I like it 1

Picked one up today. Looking forward to trying it. I’ve heard some really positive feedback on this release from a few sources. 

• 3 weeks later...

This still hasn’t landed in my area, but I have all of the previous ones, so I’ll be looking to pick up at least one of this release...maybe two if I can find them. I was only able to find one of last years release, and with this one being even more limited, I’ll be happy if I can snag at least one. 

17 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

This still hasn’t landed in my area, but I have all of the previous ones, so I’ll be looking to pick up at least one of this release...maybe two if I can find them. I was only able to find one of last years release, and with this one being even more limited, I’ll be happy if I can snag at least one. 

It's really good. Grab what you can.

• I like it 1

Managed to get one after my store owner gave the distributor a bit of what for when we didn’t get any initially. He got two for his trouble and one went to me! Very good but spendy as is to be expected these days. Doubt I will see a second one.

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Managed to get one after my store owner gave the distributor a bit of what for when we didn’t get any initially. He got two for his trouble and one went to me! Very good but spendy as is to be expected these days. Doubt I will see a second one.

In your opinion, is it worth the $175 and change?

1 hour ago, PhantomLamb said:

I am not a WT fan in the slightest, but after getting to try a taste of this release yesterday I would buy this with no hesitation. It is very good. 

• I like it 1

On 8/14/2020 at 11:25 AM, PhantomLamb said:

Value is a very subjective thing. If I want to try it that is the cost I have to pay. The whiskey is excellent but is it $175 excellent? Very hard to say. At around $100 I would say it is worth it. $175 seems steep for just about anything to me. 

• I like it 3

On 8/14/2020 at 10:25 AM, PhantomLamb said:

24 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Value is a very subjective thing. If I want to try it that is the cost I have to pay. The whiskey is excellent but is it $175 excellent? Very hard to say. At around $100 I would say it is worth it. $175 seems steep for just about anything to me. 

I really like how Tanstaafl2 put it, and I agree.

Is it worth $175?  Only if you're a turkeyhead.  When you compare it to something like RRSiB at $55, KCSiB store picka at $45 to 50, WT101 at $20ish, Rare Breed at $40-50, no it certainly is not.

But there are so many great bourbons out there (including most sought after LE's) that can't truly  hold up to that stringent  test. 

I'm a turkey head so I bought a bottle and I don't regret it in the least. I'm looking for one more.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.