I'm so lucky!

Wrangler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm not new to drinking.  I've been of drinking age well over 30 years.  Most of my drinking, in my youth, was for one reason and one reason only, to get ripped.

That has changed for me, like some others, over the years.  Now I enjoy my booze and I'm not looking to get trashed.

Lately, as you may know, I've gotten "into" Bourbon.  That's why I'm here.  The lucky part?

Well, I really prefer cheap Bourbon.  It's not that mid to upper shelf stuff doesn't taste better, it's just not enough for me to justify the extra $$.  It's not that I don't like the premium stuff, I like it just fine but my sense of smell and taste is muted due to an illness back in 2019 so I don't get the nuances most of you do.

That being said, I guess I'll have to stay out of "flavor profile" discussions.  Lol!

Anyone else a cheap Bourbon lover?  Anyone else have the same olfactory incumbrance as me?

So far, my faves are Jim Beam and Evan Williams.  I'll try others as time goes on.  Don't worry, I'll try some mid shelf Bourbons as well.  I've some Maker's Mark and Knob Creek in the licker cabinet as I type this.

20200715_074514.jpg

I enjoy them from $15 - $200.  The JB Distillers Cut, Repeal Batch, Old Tub, EW BIB, Ezra Brooks, Heaven Hill (might not be available in your area), JTS Brown BIB,  Fighting Cock 103, Old Grandad BIB are all quality pours that won't break the bank.  I'm sure I missed a few and no doubt people will add to this list.

• I like it 3

I like some variety in my pours, and as my palate has evolved, I'm finding myself more and more drawn to the oakier notes that come with age, so I certainly like to slip in some higher end stuff from time to time, particularly when I'm in a mood to really sip, savor, and pontificate on the flavor.  That said, as far as everyday/inexpensive bourbons go, I could drink only WT101 for the rest of my life and perfectly satisfied.  It just presses all the right buttons for me.  

• I like it 4

11 minutes ago, BigSkyDrams said:

I like some variety in my pours, and as my palate has evolved, I'm finding myself more and more drawn to the oakier notes that come with age, so I certainly like to slip in some higher end stuff from time to time, particularly when I'm in a mood to really sip, savor, and pontificate on the flavor.  That said, as far as everyday/inexpensive bourbons go, I could drink only WT101 for the rest of my life and perfectly satisfied.  It just presses all the right buttons for me.  

WT 101 is on the short list for me as are some that CardsandBourbon mentioned.  Thanks guys!

With any luck, sort of, I'll have my olfactory senses back to 100% in the near future.  It has improved some over the last six months but it's been frustrating to say the least as I like to smell and taste things I drink and eat.  Lol!

• I like it 2

There's a reason these brands have dominated Bourbon sales for decades. And with modern techniques and a close eye to grain quality they have gotten even better and more consistent. American whiskey is the best in the world and for us in the US very affordable. Drink up!

• I like it 3

As to your (and my!) enjoyment of more than a few lower-shelf Bourbons: YAY!    You are looking at the hobby in the way that your palate can determine tastes/smells (whether or not that's a limiting factor), how you use your wallet, and your preference for what you like.   All makes perfect sense to me.

As to limited ability to detect some of the nuances...

I think I'm finding a little less over the last few (dozen?) years than I once could; or at least having fewer really deep and rich tasting experiences than I once remember (though memory is maybe colored a bit, too?).   But, I still find most of what I think is probably there.   I say this based upon my barrel-selection tastings with a couple different groups over the last 10-years or so.    At my age (I think I have 20-years or more on you) I bet I'm not the taster or sniffer I was, nor the one I wish I was (but never was).    That said, I still find loads of enjoyment taking my time and analyzing what I pour, though I don't do that with every pour (that could begin to seem like work).   

I hope that helps you look at your situation rationally, and enjoyably, Wrangler... though it sounds like you already are!

• I like it 1

I focus less on the subtleties and more on balance, length and fullness of flavor.  Wild Turkey 101, Evan Williams Bottled in Bond and Old Grand Dad 114 are some of my favorite bourbons at any price and all go for under $30.  

Anyway, welcome to the forum and enjoy your exploration of bourbon, aka your bourbon journey. 

• I like it 3

4RSmB and regular Buffalo Trace serve me well on many an evening over here in the UK

• I like it 2

I guess I'm lucky too.

I gravitate toward the bottled in bond brands.  This is quality product from the legacy distillers.  

??

• I like it 4

I rarely spend more than $40 for a bottle these days. I like the pricey stuff just fine, but I can't justify spending too much on booze anymore. My three main stays are OGD BiB, WT 101, and George Dickel 12.

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.