Alright, you guys decide!

Wrangler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Going on vacation tomorrow at about o-dark-thirty.  Heading South and West into Oregon, near the ocean.  Not a lot of plans but we're going to be staying at a KOA park in a cabin for a few days.

I'm only taking a Bourbon glass with me, no Bourbon.  Before anyone says anything, I'm taking extra clothing and sundries too.  Lol!

SO, your task is to decide what Bourbon I shall buy in the next day or so.  So don't take too long with this, 'cuz I'm a thirsty man.  I'm  a noob so most anything goes.  I've tried several to date but want to color a bit outside the lines for this one.

Let's set the $$ limit to about $80, no more so figure Oregon liquor tax into your suggestion.  

The ones I've already got or have tried to date:  Maker's Mark, Bulliet (not the Rye), Jim Beam white label (not BIB), Evan Williams black label, Knob Creek 9, Devil's Cut, Rebel Yell wheated and Larceny.  For the record, I like every one I've tried so far.  Some I like more than others.

What does the Straight Bourbon brain trust say?  Don't worry, whatever you decide on, chances are, I'll like it just fine.

PS: Save the "taste is subjective" lecture, I know that already.  I want this to be an adventure! ? ?

I would say try some things from other distilleries. Maybe Buffalo a Trace or a eagle Rare. Not sure how hard those are to find do you. Or Elijah Craig, Four Roses Small Batch, could try some Woodinville which is from Washington. Just throwing some stuff out there.

• I like it 1

I’d say a handle of EWBIB or WT101.  This would allow sharing and cocktail mixing with new campground friends and everyone can have a good time. 

• I like it 2

Not sure that there is any sales tax in Oregon. I don't recall paying any on a couple of bottles I bought when I was out there last year. (Unless it's already baked into the sticker price.) 

• I like it 1

Oh, and for a recommendation, the Oregon state stores always seem to have CEHT SmB for around $45.  Good stuff at a good price. 

WT101, something from the BT distillery if you can find it, an Old Forester product(86pf, 100pf, 1910, or 1920).

• I like it 1

15 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Buffalo Trace!  

+1. ?

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Wrangler said:

Let's set the $$ limit to about $80, no more so figure Oregon liquor tax into your suggestion.  

Ah, shopping at the old "Green Front Dairy" eh?  When I was in high school (Corvallis Senior High, Class of 1966), all the sales for spirits were from the  Oregon state liquor stores with a huge green sign out front - thus the nickname.  And as of 4 years ago, maybe (my 50th reunion), NO state sales taxes (still) on brown spirits, IIRC.  Check their website for availability near your campground (WT101 is a great choice, IMHO).  And please stay out of the downtown Portland warzone - drinking a peaceful dram by the fire at the lake is far better than getting in the middle of a firefight, again IMHO.  ?

Have a wonderful time in God's country and remember, it's pronounced "ORYGUN!".   ?

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 1

2 hours ago, Swamp55 said:

Oh, and for a recommendation, the Oregon state stores always seem to have CEHT SmB for around $45.  Good stuff at a good price. 

Forgive me but what is CEHT SmB?

35 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Ah, shopping at the old "Green Front Dairy" eh?  When I was in high school (Corvallis Senior High, Class of 1966), all the sales for spirits were from the  Oregon state liquor stores with a huge green sign out front - thus the nickname.  And as of 4 years ago, maybe (my 50th reunion), NO state sales taxes (still) on brown spirits, IIRC.  Check their website for availability near your campground (WT101 is a great choice, IMHO).  And please stay out of the downtown Portland warzone - drinking a peaceful dram by the fire at the lake is far better than getting in the middle of a firefight, again IMHO.  ?

Have a wonderful time in God's country and remember, it's pronounced "ORYGUN!".   ?

Yes, I got the Orygun thing down.  I'm from a long line of drunk Arkansas Hillbillies and that's how I've heard it all my life.  Lol!

51 minutes ago, Wrangler said:

Forgive me but what is CEHT SmB?

Col. E. H. Taylor Small Batch from Buffalo Trace.   ?

• I like it 1

23 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Col. E. H. Taylor Small Batch from Buffalo Trace.   ?

Ok, ok, that's the ONE!  I'm gonna search for it and if I don't find it, I'll go WT101.  

Are we all in agreement?

• I like it 2

56 minutes ago, Wrangler said:

Ok, ok, that's the ONE!  I'm gonna search for it and if I don't find it, I'll go WT101.  

Are we all in agreement?

Sounds like a plan.  I would add Buffalo Trace as well even if you can find EHT.  It would be a fun comparison to try the same mashbill from BT together.

• I like it 2

54 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Sounds like a plan.  I would add Buffalo Trace as well even if you can find EHT.  It would be a fun comparison to try the same mashbill from BT together.

Ok, I gotta admit, that's a really good idea.  Mayhaps I'll get both!

4 hours ago, Wrangler said:

Ok, I gotta admit, that's a really good idea.  Mayhaps I'll get both!

And you should get out of there for under $80 (no sales tax) for both!   Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?  But remember, take everything we say with a "grain of salt" - we're such enablers . . . . . . . .  ?

• I like it 1

Try something completely different.  Get a bottle of bourbons, sure.  But leave about $20 and get a bottle of Lot 40 Canadian rye.  Your horizons will expand.

• I like it 1

I would add 4R single barrel to that list and OGD Bottled in bond. 
IF you see Early Times bottled in bond that is a MUST you may not see it again, ever and if you do it may  be very different.

+1 ( or whatever we are up to)  on WT 101 or Rare Breed.

cheers and have fun!!

Ok, this is what I ended up with. 

20200717_180801.thumb.jpg.17090d7ddcb8e49096b0aea86c30b6ba.jpg

Haven't tried this one yet. 

20200717_180725.thumb.jpg.04327225e1feb9af8fd07e20fe0ea14f.jpg

But this one is pretty good so far. After a couple, I'll report back. Oh, I got otd for a touch over $72 too!

• I like it 4

Could only bear one glass of the WT.  Will try again tonight after a glass of OG.

On 7/16/2020 at 4:02 PM, mal00768 said:

One of these 3:

1. WT101

2. WT101

3. WT101

Those are great choices.  Another option would be WT101

• I like it 3

On 7/16/2020 at 4:02 PM, mal00768 said:

One of these 3:

1. WT101

2. WT101

3. WT101

With a budget of $80 he could have a handle of all three.

• I like it 3

If it were my money, that’s exactly what I would have bought. Yes the RB is high octane, give it time, add a drop or two as the “ tuning” of barrel  proofers is its own learning experience ( its is NOT a given that they need it, the whiskey  will tell you).

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.