Buffalo trace wheated Kosher????

john E
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

FYI, Im working part time at the local TW store. retirement got boring. anyway....

came into work and found an empty case box of buffalo trace wheated. every bottle was sold by the time I came in (the label chasers took em all in 10 min after opening). It sounded interesting and the box was labeled as kosher.

Does anyone have any info on the wheated? just curious.

john

Edited by john E

Buffalo Trace uses the wheated mash bill for the different versions of Weller, and Van Winkle (except the rye).

They only distill this recipe around one month a year, so it's a small portion of their overall production.

Social media has really hyped this up.  Demand is greater than supply. 

6 hours ago, john E said:

FYI, Im working part time at the local TW store. retirement got boring. anyway....

came into work and found an empty case box of buffalo trace wheated. every bottle was sold by the time I came in (the label chasers took em all in 10 min after opening). It sounded interesting and the box was labeled as kosher.

Does anyone have any info on the wheated? just curious.

john

https://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/our-brands/kosher-whiskey.html I think the only thing different from Weller is the slight proof difference and some technicality that a Rabbi oversaw the barrels as they aged somehow. 

9 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

https://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/our-brands/kosher-whiskey.html I think the only thing different from Weller is the slight proof difference and some technicality that a Rabbi oversaw the barrels as they aged somehow. 

And the cleaning of the bottling line before actual bottling of the Kosher whiskey started.  ?

Spoiler

I have the letter from Buffalo Trace and the Certification from the Chicago Rabbinical Council that was in the cases. I ain't that smart on my own.  ?

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 3

It's Weller with a 7 year age statement and bottled at a unique proof.    There's also a Kosher rye,  which is BT's Kentucky style rye with a 7-year age statement and a unique proof.

I've been sippin' em both at the Jersey shore this weekend.

5 minutes ago, Jazzhead said:

It's Weller with a 7 year age statement and bottled at a unique proof.    There's also a Kosher rye,  which is BT's Kentucky style rye with a 7-year age statement and a unique proof.

I've been sippin' em both at the Jersey shore this weekend.

And your erudite opinion is . . . . . . . .  ???   ?

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, GeeTen said:

And your erudite opinion is . . . . . . . .  ???   ?

They're both excellent.    (There are actually 3 versions -Kosher Wheat Recipe Bourbon,  Kosher Rye Recipe Bourbon,  and Kosher Straight Rye.   I haven't tried the Rye Recipe Bourbon.)

It appears that these were all barrels  specially picked and set aside over seven years ago; so they can they all bear age statements.    Our local Bootleggers has had 'em on special for $30.99 for over three weeks now.    I first got a bottle of Wheat Recipe because I haven't seen a bottle of Wellers in Jersey or Pennsy for years.    It's silky and sweet like a good wheated bourbon should be,  .   I don't have a Weller to do a comparo with,  but it's at least as old as the Weller Antique but at 94 proof rather than 107 (which I personally prefer, especially with a wheater. )   

I generally drink rye recipe bourbons but dig the occasional wheater.    It's ideal for the beach and is at the perfect proof to be drank straight with no adulteration.   As for the rabbi's blessing,  I'm grateful for it because I too profess humiltity before the Lord for the gift of man's artistry applied to the grains borne of His fertile soil.   

The following week I went back for another bottle and also picked up the Straight Rye.    That's in my wheelhouse -  just barely a rye with a sweet corn counterpunch.    I went back for more of the Rye and it was gone,  so I settled for a  third bottle of the Wheat Recipe to bunker.    There remain more to be had  for those near Atlantic City,   but I do not counsel delay.  .    

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 4

Glad you liked it but I had the rye recipe and it tasted like standard BT at best. A fairly middling version of BT at that. I was underwhelmed to say the least and have no interest in chasing down the other two. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Glad you liked it but I had the rye recipe and it tasted like standard BT at best. A fairly middling version of BT at that. I was underwhelmed to say the least and have no interest in chasing down the other two. 

I didn't get the rye recipe for the same reason you did -  I figured it would be little different from regular BT.   But for folks like me in Pennsy and New Jersey,  Weller's an impossible dream,  so I'm more than pleased to find  the Kosher Wheat Recipe at a proof I find ideal.   

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.