Wheater funk!

Wrangler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

What is it?  Can someone explain it to me?  I like Maker's Mark, MM 46, Larceny and Rebel Yell but I'm afraid maybe I like the funk???  Please help!

Sorry Wrangler I'm not sure I understand the question. Certainly older aged expressions like Rebel Yell 10 Year and private select versions of Larceny can have some "barrel funk" but I've never experienced it with younger whiskies like Maker's Mark and M46.  Certainly not with any non-age stated Weller variations (although you didn't mention Weller by name but is certainly the most famous of the wheaters). 

What is this you speak of?

If your referencing... that sweet syrup mellow flavor.... I’m with you. I’ve always enjoyed my weller pours. 

I've never heard of wheater funk. Larceny has a funk but it's the only one.

8 hours ago, flahute said:

I've never heard of wheater funk. Larceny has a funk but it's the only one.

+1       I love wheaters, but I can’t seem to get a “feel” for Larceny anymore. When it was first introduced, I had a couple of bottles that were okay. Since then, and including the bottle I presently have open, the bottles I’ve had have only been “so-so”. YMMV

I’ve had a number of other wheaters over the years. Wellers, Old Fitz, Van Winkles, WW and MM among them. Of course Wellers are my favorite. Some folks say wheaters have a tendency to taste a little lighter and sweeter than ryed bourbons. I tend to believe that for the most part, although I have had a few wheaters over the years that have had their fair share of spiciness. I’ve also had a few low rye bourbons that I could’ve sworn we’re wheaters. Regardless of all that, I can’t say that I’ve ever detected a wheater funk. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, Wrangler said:

What is it?  Can someone explain it to me?  I like Maker's Mark, MM 46, Larceny and Rebel Yell but I'm afraid maybe I like the funk???  Please help!

Can you provide a little more description?  By funk, do you mean an earthy or musty characteristic?  I have had some bourbon, not just wheat bourbons, that reminded me of a wet barn or walking in the woods after a rain.  Wet firewood that hasn't been burned yet might be another description.  It wasn't the prevalent characteristic but more of something along the continuum of the flavor experience.  It normally was picked up at the nose and the initial sip.  It never detracted from my enjoyment.  I always chocked it up to the yeast or some floral hints from the barrel.

• I like it 1

I'm also not familiar with any wheater funk. Wet hay and horse blanket is what I think of when I hear funk. This is based on nose and taste of some saisons and other farmhouse ales. 

I'll have to try some wheaters tonight to see if I can pick up what you're puttin' down. 

18 hours ago, Kepler said:

Sorry Wrangler I'm not sure I understand the question. Certainly older aged expressions like Rebel Yell 10 Year and private select versions of Larceny can have some "barrel funk" but I've never experienced it with younger whiskies like Maker's Mark and M46.  Certainly not with any non-age stated Weller variations (although you didn't mention Weller by name but is certainly the most famous of the wheaters). 

What is this you speak of?

I have no idea.  I've heard several YT reviewers refer to a "wheater funk" but I have no idea what it is.

6 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Can you provide a little more description?  By funk, do you mean an earthy or musty characteristic?  I have had some bourbon, not just wheat bourbons, that reminded me of a wet barn or walking in the woods after a rain.  Wet firewood that hasn't been burned yet might be another description.  It wasn't the prevalent characteristic but more of something along the continuum of the flavor experience.  It normally was picked up at the nose and the initial sip.  It never detracted from my enjoyment.  I always chocked it up to the yeast or some floral hints from the barrel.

I've no idea.

28 minutes ago, Wrangler said:

I have no idea.  I've heard several YT reviewers refer to a "wheater funk" but I have no idea what it is.

I've no idea.

So, I assume when you say "funk" you mean that there is something different about wheaters that you like but you can't put your finger on it?  Fair enough.  Bourbon is highly subjective.  You may taste baking spice and I make taste cinnamon.  Neither of us are right or wrong.

I had a pour of Makers Mark Cask Strength tonight and it was spicy as all get out.  So spicy that I switched to a high rye (30%) bourbon for a cooler pour.  I assume the "spicy" was really more oak and cinnamon but who knows.  I just know it was to spicy for me...tonight.  Next time, it might be just right.

2 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

So, I assume when you say "funk" you mean that there is something different about wheaters that you like but you can't put your finger on it?  Fair enough.  Bourbon is highly subjective.  You may taste baking spice and I make taste cinnamon.  Neither of us are right or wrong.

I had a pour of Makers Mark Cask Strength tonight and it was spicy as all get out.  So spicy that I switched to a high rye (30%) bourbon for a cooler pour.  I assume the "spicy" was really more oak and cinnamon but who knows.  I just know it was to spicy for me...tonight.  Next time, it might be just right.

No.  I have NO idea what the "funk" even is!  I feel like I should for some reason.  Lol!  I like wheated Bourbon, that's for sure!

Just now, Wrangler said:

No.  I have NO idea what the "funk" even is!  I feel like I should for some reason.  Lol!  I like wheated Bourbon, that's for sure!

Friend, I highlighted the part of your post that is the most important.  You like it.  

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Wrangler said:

I've no idea.

These YT dumbasses just like to hear themselves talk, and they think they’re being clever when actually they have nothing of content and worth to say.   You don’t know what “wheater funk” is, no one here knows what “wheater funk” is, and those jags don’t know what “wheater funk” is, either.  It’s made up crap.  These dorks couldn’t review a rock.  

• I like it 14

13 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

These YT dumbasses just like to hear themselves talk, and they think they’re being clever when actually they have nothing of content and worth to say.   You don’t know what “wheater funk” is, no one here knows what “wheater funk” is, and those jags don’t know what “wheater funk” is, either.  It’s made up crap.  These dorks couldn’t review a rock.  

Later I'll take a pour on the rocks and then review the ice.

The only funk I know is from rum, never experienced any "wheater funk", sounds like a made-up term?

7 hours ago, Mattk said:

Later I'll take a pour on the rocks and then review the ice.

That is an excellent idea!  I may follow suite.  Now I got ideas for my new YT Bourbon reviewing channel!!

5 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

The only funk I know is from rum, never experienced any "wheater funk", sounds like a made-up term?

I'm beginning to believe this as well.

22 minutes ago, Wrangler said:

That is an excellent idea!  I may follow suite.  Now I got ideas for my new YT Bourbon reviewing channel!!

I'm beginning to believe this as well.

I get quite a fresh cut grass and mushrooms off some of the early willet ryes. Which I refer to as the willet funk. It is in fact similar to some of the noses I get from rhums.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.