is there a price you would pay for somthing you are not a big fan of?

john E
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was at my TW store today and the price of jack daniels legacy edition 1, the green label bottle, 750 has been clearance priced at $6.49 a bottle. hmmmmmm. i bought one to have for anyone who wants a jack and coke or some other mixed drink. but i was wondering. would it be worth drinking at that price? should i buy more to have for whatever need it may fill?

so, is there a price that you would buy something you are not a fan of because its to good to pass up? if so what is it?

john

If I don't like a whiskey, I don't like it. I wouldn't take it for free.

• I like it 6

I’ve reached a point in my life where Im not drinking anything I don’t want to drink anymore, regardless of reason.

I personally don’t think you should choke anything down just because its cheap.  Especially if you truly dislike it.  I mean if you’re at that point, then I would just drink tap water or cut expenses elsewhere to buy something I like.

For $6.49 per, I would definitely have grabbed a few bottles of 86p JD to have around for whatever.  Id probably even drink some occasionally.  :)

Depends on who I’m buying for. If it’s for friends that just want “whisky” then sure but for me personally I’d just save the money or use it for beer ?.

I'd offer this....

It depends upon how badly you DISlike it.    If you just really do NOT LIKE it it all, why buy it?   

If it's tolerable in a mixed drink like a boiler maker where it really will disappear; and you like boiler makers; well, buy a bottle.

• I like it 1

I’d by the Jack 86 at that price for sure. Mainly because I buy all the whiskey that gets consumed at our family cabin, and if I left a few of those there, they’d get consumed without complaint by my family members and some friends, mainly going into whiskey/cokes. 

I wouldn’t buy it to keep around my own house, mainly due to space. I have a hard time keeping my places I stash with whiskey in the house reasonable with just stuff I actually want 

• I like it 1

For those who are wine aficionados, the concept of “cellar defenders” is well entrenched.  Most of my wife’s friends like to drink wine, but are nowhere near connoisseurs and don’t ever care to be.  I’ve got a large wine refrigerator in our kitchen that (thanks to always hunting for marked down bottles in Costco’s wine department) is full of inexpensive, but still tasty, bottles that she and her friends can go to town on.  

If you’ve got family, friends and/or “frenemies” that like liquor, but don’t buy into the hype of allocated bottles with age statements, then it behooves you to have at least a few different “bunker defenders” that are a level or two above the Kesslers of the world.

• I like it 1

I'm not a big fan of WSR, but I like to have a bottle on hand for guests. I'll only buy it at retail.

I agree with some above that would buy something for less than $10 to use it for a mixer for guests. I wouldn't buy something for myself to consume just because it's low priced. When I can get a bottle of EWB for $10, and it's solid, there's no need to buy something that I like less. 

13 hours ago, flahute said:

I "liked" this then continued reading.  I still agree.  BUT, there are a few really cheap bourbons I like (EWB, 4RYL, Virgin 101 to name three) that I keep around.  Instead of paying $6.49 for JD Green which I can't stand just so I could give it to friends, I buy handles of cheap things I like and share those with friends who are indifferent to brands.  The stuff in them doesn't spoil, and handles take up less space per OZ. than a comparable number of 750s.  Plus, I have decanters for cocktails.

15 hours ago, flahute said:

Preach!

tried a poor last night, as well as a small one right now. I gotta say, it is much better than i expected and not like the black label, at least not what I remember. I hate to say this, but it reminds me somewhat of Hancock's reserve. the mouth feel is very similar and I get a large smell of ripe pear which I get with Hanckock's as well as sometimes with Blantons. now it's not in the same league as those 2, but I gotta say, I feel it is a nice find and I will go back and get a few more for that price.  You never know until you give it a try.

chalk this one up as money well spent. that means that likely my next spur of the moment purchase will be a disappointment. If its not, Im buying a lottery ticket.

Edited by john E

On 7/29/2020 at 9:58 AM, Harry in WashDC said:

I "liked" this then continued reading.  I still agree.  BUT, there are a few really cheap bourbons I like (EWB, 4RYL, Virgin 101 to name three) that I keep around.  Instead of paying $6.49 for JD Green which I can't stand just so I could give it to friends, I buy handles of cheap things I like and share those with friends who are indifferent to brands.  The stuff in them doesn't spoil, and handles take up less space per OZ. than a comparable number of 750s.  Plus, I have decanters for cocktails.

Duly noted sir! I try to do the same. The bunker clunkers are what I end up using in cocktails and it works but I also know my cocktails taste better with whiskey I actually like. That's why I won't buy something I don't like for cocktails even if it's insanely cheap. Once a bottle like is my possession my OCD takes over and I can't rest until I finish it off!

• I like it 3

Not so long ago, you couldn't find 50% isopropyl alcohol at any price, so a cheap bottle of 100 proof rotgut might have been a bargain!

But on the OP's subject, JD is so popular that I might buy a bottle on the cheap to share, trade, or gift with friends.  But overall, I'd rather put the money towards a bottle I like.

I'm in agreement with the others here that I wouldn't buy something I really don't like just because of price, but in this case I would have probably dropped for a few bottles.  Not so much as cellar defenders (great term, btw) but to experiment with in infusions, syrups and other mad scientist exploits that require "practice" and probably go down the drain once the technique is mastered enough to try it on the good stuff! 

As an example, I'm seriously considering creating some crazy clarified milk punch.  I'd love to play around and see how it turns out without dropping a lot of coin to perfect my technique.

Edited by Cornmuse

Life's too short to drink bad whiskey.    Thankfully,  I don't get too many clunkers,  and when I do I start a new solera bottle,  and try to concoct a drinkable pour.    My current bourbon solera started with a true stinker,  but at this point tastes better than anything on my shelf.    Of course,  the stinker's percentage of the current gem is likely 5% or less by now.   

• I like it 1

There are definitely some categories of items that I would never buy - flavored whiskey, or blended (with grain neutral spirit) "whiskey".  I don't even want a free taste.

That deal on the JD, I'd probably get a couple. 

If I were into making cakes or cookies with bourbon, I would try to find something as cheap as possible because I think it's a waste to cook with really good whiskey.  

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, fosmith said:

If I were into making cakes or cookies with bourbon, I would try to find something as cheap as possible because I think it's a waste to cook with really good whiskey.  

I completely disagree.  While I wouldn't use an expense bourbon, any alcohol that you would cook with (bourbon, brandy, wine, beer, etc) should also be something that you would drink.  Otherwise you are setting up your cooking for failure. 

• I like it 3

5 hours ago, fosmith said:

4 hours ago, BigRich said:

I completely disagree.  While I wouldn't use an expense bourbon, any alcohol that you would cook with (bourbon, brandy, wine, beer, etc) should also be something that you would drink.  Otherwise you are setting up your cooking for failure. 

I go both ways (big surprise, eh?:D).  Wife makes bourbon balls for Christmas every year.  Through trial and error, we have learned that some of the house styles which have "special" profiles (like peanut @ 80 proof, banana in the flagship brand, copper note) sometimes throw off the flavor of the balls.  Using something inoffensive, undistiguishable, and downshelf blends right in while top shelf/high proof throw the balance off.  OTOH, we have a favorite marinade for charcoal grilled pork loin based on bourbon which tastes best without overwhelming the pork if it is a bonded.  A proof much above that tends to make the pork taste vinegary - go figure - while a cheap one or one with "issues" like Old Crow either cooks away adding nothing or turns the marinade bitter.

Trial and error - just like training one's palate.  We must have gone through two dozen pork loins over two weeks perfecting THAT one.  MAHvelous.  EDIT - Oh, yeah - the failures got chopped up and mixed together with a bourbon-based BBQ sauce at the end of the process and frozen in lunch-sized pulled pork portions.  Not as flavorful as pork shoulder but not bad.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 3

On 7/31/2020 at 3:19 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

I go both ways (big surprise, eh?:D).  Wife makes bourbon balls for Christmas every year.  Through trial and error, we have learned that some of the house styles which have "special" profiles (like peanut @ 80 proof, banana in the flagship brand, copper note) sometimes throw off the flavor of the balls.  Using something inoffensive, undistiguishable, and downshelf blends right in while top shelf/high proof throw the balance off.  OTOH, we have a favorite marinade for charcoal grilled pork loin based on bourbon which tastes best without overwhelming the pork if it is a bonded.  A proof much above that tends to make the pork taste vinegary - go figure - while a cheap one or one with "issues" like Old Crow either cooks away adding nothing or turns the marinade bitter.

Trial and error - just like training one's palate.  We must have gone through two dozen pork loins over two weeks perfecting THAT one.  MAHvelous.  EDIT - Oh, yeah - the failures got chopped up and mixed together with a bourbon-based BBQ sauce at the end of the process and frozen in lunch-sized pulled pork portions.  Not as flavorful as pork shoulder but not bad.

Soooo.  I'm dying to know.  What do you use in your marinade, and what does your bride use in those Bourbon balls????

7 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Soooo.  I'm dying to know.  What do you use in your marinade, and what does your bride use in those Bourbon balls????

Watch for these as "new" posts under cooking with bourbon or whatever that thread is.  I gotta go find the recipes, and the binders are in the kitchen.

• I like it 1

On 7/31/2020 at 9:50 AM, BigRich said:

Even after you COOK it? Hmm not so sure about that...

Edited by Kepler
well I also wouldn't use a nasty undrinkable whiskey in cooking if that's what you mean.

It depends on the whiskey.  I would by a cheap, marked down bourbon from a big distillery before I would buy the same from a micro distillery.  We have a local micro distillery that makes whiskey that is so bad that I would not buy it at any price and if offered it for free, would turn it down.

• I like it 1

I would buy stuff I don't know if I like at the right price.  At the grocery store they had a empty row where they were discontinuing Jefferson's Reserve  for $19.99.  I would pass at $40 but might try it at $20. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.