2004 Bourbon Festival Events

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I HATE getting dressed up, no less in a rented monkey suit. hot.gif Also, when I think of the money saved by NOT going to the Gala (ticket price x 2), and all of the other things I could buy with the money saved (bourbon), it's basically a no-brainer for me.

Anyway, the gazebo is more my speed! I can have a Tourette's breakdown there, and nobody will mind; in fact, I've known some people who've joined right in! lol.gifsmilielol.gif You folks know who you are! wink.gif

Bob

Yup, those are the same reasons I have never gone either Bob. Too much money to get dressed up like a penguin on what should be an enjoyable vacation. Especially after driving 12+ hours straight!

Do I ever agree. I promised myself that I would never wear a Tux,but both my boys made me wear on to their weddings.{ it was the women I am sure}. The Four Roses discussion is worthwhile, and you can learn a lot. Plus the distillary is really interesting.

Also, when I think of the money saved by NOT going to the Gala (ticket price x 2), and all of the other things I could buy with the money saved (bourbon), it's basically a no-brainer for me.

When we saw the price of the Gala, we had the exact same thoughts. Plus, I ain't rentin' no tux, and Tina is not the type to shop for maternity formal wear! We'll be hangin' at the gazebo and be very happy to be there. toast.gif

Having said that, is there anyone here who would like to comment on what the Gala has to offer? How is it hanging with the big wheels of bourbon? Any interesting Gala tales to tell?

I have attended the Gala for the past two years and have had a wonderful time. We are going again this year. If anyone else plans on going look for me. (I'm not hard to spot. I don't need to rent a tux!!)

1.JPG3.JPG

I'm of two minds on the gala.

One side looks at how much fun it would be to get spiffied up, slap on some Hai Karate, and pay the cost for a memorable night in which I would unquestionably meet many interesting new people. I might even meet the special woman of my dreams there and waltz the night away. smile.gif

The second side of me says to hang out at the Gazebo, drink every bourbon I can get my hands on, have those artistic enough to paint a tux onto my naked bloated carcass and have them roll me to the Gala in a wheelbarrow and sit outside singing Stephen Foster tunes off key until the cops pick me up. crazy.gifskep.gif

Actually there is the third side also who tells the first one to wake up to the real world, the second to sober up and act like I deserve to be around the wonderful people at SB.com, and the real me to save the money for more bottles of STAGG! toast.gif

I have attended the gala twice. I only put on a tux a few times a year, so I enjoy it. (Although, no matter how well I get fitted, I still look out of place "cleaned up") My wife loves it. This is a concession to her putting up with me the rest of the Festival. The food is fair, the music OK. The sampling is the real fun. Going from booth to booth, sampling, meeting new folks, greeting old friends and collecting glassware.

Its like the commercial.

Tux $80

Dress, shoes, Bag, Makeup, etc $300 or so

Tickets $300

Tiltin' one back with Jimmy Russell, Preston VanWinkle, Elmer T., Parker, Craig, Dalton, Henderson etc. - Priceless

I don't think its a value. Its an extravagance.

I usually bale early and get back to the Gazebo by 11 or so.

By then, things are just starting to warm up.

I'm with Dale (NeoTexan) Do it, if its your thing.

toast.gif

I just placed my order for Cooking School, Flappers and Dappers and The Gala.

While perusing the Photo Gallery on the KY Bourbon Festival Website, there's a photo of our own Forbes and Spouse at the Gala.

Hope to see you there.

toast.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Peggy and I are just getting into the spirit of the festival coming up. We'll be there Friday through Sunday. Still have not set all of our plans in that we are bringing along some friends this year.

I don't think we will be doing the gala the year but are still talking about the Jazz event. This one still open?

The top event for us each year has been the fun at the gazebo. What are those plans? Will this be going both Friday and Saturday night?

Hope to see all the straightbourbon.com folks.

Todd

It's hard to call anything involving the gazebo "planned," but I think you can count on a crowd there Friday and Saturday nights, at least.

• 1 month later...

Ya learn something everyday grin.gif...

This was published in the Courier Journal, Louisville, Ky.

I have seen Dan driving that trolley but didn't have a clue as to "the rest of the story" grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I was under the impression that it "belonged" to Heaven Hill...not so grin.gif Heaven Hill and Dan Bennett grin.gif

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

post-20-14489811732466_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

hi jeff, i'm going to try and go to my first ky bourbon festival this 2005. Is it really great and fun as they say it is and can you recomand a affordable place to stay.

Jerome - I went to the Fest for the 1st time last year (04) and found a cheap little mom&pop motel very close to the grounds. Very reasonable. I will try to find the name of it and forward to you, right after I book my reservations.

Anybody else - What is the gazebo we keep hearing about? I'm assuming it is the gazebo at Beam Outpost? I would love to go this year. The spirit garden was something of a disappointment. Met lots of wonderful people, but selection was thin compared to what I had anticipated and it just semmed like there was nothing going on during the late evening hours, so I ended up sitting on the porch at the motel sipping bottles bought locally and enjoying the beautiful Kentucky night sky. Still a good time was had by all. drink.gif

I'm assuming it is the gazebo at Beam Outpost?

That's a big negative there Dave.grin.gif We're referring to the gazebo behind the Best Western General Nelson. There are plenty of pictures of it here, dig around a bit.

Hope to see you there in September!

I was wondering if someone that isn't aware of the gazabo bash gets the gazabo before one of the straighbourbon crew does? What do you do if they don't like drinking..........pay off, physical removal, hope they just agree to give it up, or just find somewhere else to go?

Has this ever occured?

Brandon, there is little chance of that happening as we pretty much dominate the hotel bookings during BF but I guess it could. Last BF Bobbie (the hotel manager) opened the breakfast/meeting room for our use and even supplied some finger foods for us. I am guessing that as long as we stay the happy, courteous and respectful group that we have been and don't become a nusience, and as long as Bobbie stays on as manager, this will probably continue.

From my experience though, there is usually someone from our group in the Gazebo for most of the day and evening during BF whether they are just sitting and enjoying the fine Kentucky weather or just waiting for someone to head off to an event. And with the exception of one incident involving a disrespectful, probably underage Eminem clone, pretty much everyone that shows up is welcome including all the other guests at the hotel.

As for non-drinkers, why would they plan something during Bourbon Fest if they were Teetotalers? You wouldn't plan a Waffen SS reunion in Tel Aviv would you?

In the end, if something like this did happen, we are a civilized and resourceful group and would handle the situation as such. Any altercation with other guests would probably wear out our welcome there and therefore not be in our best interests. I think we would just find somewhere else to start the party and then move to the Gazebo when the others had abandoned it. After all, if you're not drinking bourbon during bourbon fest, why would you want to sit up late?

Well, it seemed to me last fall that either the 'foreigners' joined in or left after odds got to be about 12:1 in favor of the SB.com'ers. And that happens rather quickly.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.