Just enjoyed watching Nancy Fraley discuss blending and finishing on Bourbon Pursuit

IamMatt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thanks for the heads up.  I really look forward to hearing Nancy share her knowledge!

Listened to this over the afternoon, and absolutely fascinating information regarding blending from Nancy on her craft.  Clearly, it is more than taking a whiskey and adding a little of this or that, and Voila!, you have a “quality” finished whiskey.  My takeaway is that the process should start early, be meticulously monitored and manipulated throughout, in ordered to create a crafted end product. 

Side note from early in the interview is Nancy’s explanation of the “mingling” v. “blending” issue.  This has been discussed in detail over many years here on SB.  I admire her recognition of the historical bourbon enthusiast’s disdain for the the term “blending”, while providing clear while respectful reasoning why the term “blending” should not be dismissed when talking about the combination of bourbon with other elements.  Nancy is a real pro, and the bourbon world is lucky to have her involved in it.  

Great stuff from Nancy.  

• I like it 1

Agree - I listened while on a long drive and found Nancy fascinating.   I hope the host delivers on having her back soon, we all learn from her vast wealth of knowledge and experience!

• I like it 1

I listened as well. Very interesting stuff.

Edited by marshall9779
  • I like it 1

I listened to to this as well.  I thought it was really interesting.  With a background in pharmaceuticals and chemistry, I thought all the discussion on the barrel influences was fascinating.  Blending is not as simple as one might think (as are many things in life).  

• I like it 1

Hey Fellas, Nancy here. Sorry I'm just now seeing this thread. I've been crazy busy the past few weeks, so unfortunately I haven't really been on SB as of late. 

Many thanks @IamMatt, @geclbxf, @marshall9779, @smokinjoe, @Bourbon Sabbath, @TwoFingers, etc., glad you all enjoyed the Bourbon Pursuit podcast! I have to admit that when we did that interview back in February, I felt so off my game that morning and just wasn't as mentally present as I'd like to have been. And then we seemed to have audio problems with the recording equipment (it sounds like I have a seriously bad lisp! ?).

That said, I'm glad that a few decent nuggets of information apparently slipped through in spite of everything! 

Cheers,

Nancy

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.