Bourbon balls (although rhum agricole works, too)

Harry in WashDC
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Bourbon Balls (also works with a good rhum Agricole)

This dates from 1973;  my wife's best friend gave her this recipe.  It gave them both an excuse to go out and buy their first food processors - ROBOT COUPE was the brand.  We weren't married, then, but I remember my reaction - "You spent HOW MUCH? for that?"  Almost ended our budding relationship.

One cup crushed Vanilla Wafers

One cup 10X (uh, powdered) sugar

1 ½ cups chopped pecans

2 tablespoons cocoa

2 tablespoons light corn syrup

¼ cup bourbon (100 proof or less)

Run the nuts through a food processor until finely chopped but not pureed and set aside.

Run the wafers through the processor.  Combine the wafer crumbs with the sugar and with one cup of the ground nuts and the cocoa.  Stir them to mix somewhat.  Add the syrup and bourbon and mix thoroughly. A soft spatula and some hand squeezing works well.  When mixed, form bits into balls of whatever size you prefer and roll them in the remaining chopped nuts.  Sometimes we roll them in a little bit of powdered sugar, too.  Chill and then store in covered tins.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
spilling
  • I like it 3

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

This dates from 1973;  my wife's best friend gave her this recipe.  It gave them both an excuse to go out and buy their first food processors - ROBOT COUPE was the brand.  We weren't married, then, but I remember my reaction - "You spent HOW MUCH? for that?"  Almost ended our budding relationship.

1 ½ cups chopped pecans

2 tablespoons cocoa

Run the nuts through a food processor until finely chopped but not pureed and set aside.

Run the wafers through the processor.  Combine the wafer crumbs with the sugar and with one cup of the ground nuts and the cocoa.  Stir them to mix somewhat.  Add the syrup and bourbon and mix thoroughly. A soft spatula and some hand squeezing works well.  When mixed, form bits into balls of whatever size you prefer and roll them in the remaining chopped nuts.  Sometimes we roll them in a little bit of powdered sugar, too.  Chill and then store in covered tins.

Thanks for sharing Harry!  Definitely need to try this.  I LOVE bourbon balls, although I have to admit the recipe I've used for years is such that I don't make them often because they are such a pain (takes 2 days, and maybe 4-5 hours in total).  

3 hours ago, GaryT said:

Thanks for sharing Harry!  Definitely need to try this.  I LOVE bourbon balls, although I have to admit the recipe I've used for years is such that I don't make them often because they are such a pain (takes 2 days, and maybe 4-5 hours in total).  

This recipe is pretty foolproof AND forgiving.  Wife makes BATCHES of cookies of all kinds for the Holidays, and the bourbon balls are made a couple times a year.  I got involved years ago when a batch tasted off, and I diagnosed "wrong bourbon".  SOmething on the sweeter end like VOB 100 is best.  When using EWW, I add a tablespoon of simple syrup.  Hardest part is the portion size when rolling.  We bought a set of melon ballers to speed up the scooping.  Start to finish is only a couple of hours including getting all the stuff assembled on the counter, chopping and processing, putting balls on cookie sheets and sticking them in the fridge, placing product in tins with waxed paper sheets (6X6" squares bought in bulk) between the layers, AND rinsing off all utensils, bowls, and counters.  It is a two to three person job, but a niece or teener can be the third.  This also allows for break-taking by me or the niece/teener - wife is obsessive so NEVER stops.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 1

Thank-you Harry,

I will get around to making these.  I cook a lot at home, and have a heavy duty commercial blender.  I'll probably go with the VOB 100 too (since I like it anyway).

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, this is near-identical to my own preferred recipe, which surely doesn't go back to 1973 :) I use the same ingredients but eyeball them. I can say with high confidence that these make some good bourbon balls. I always use KC.

On 8/1/2020 at 6:11 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

1 ½ cups chopped pecans

2 tablespoons cocoa

These look like great gifts! Thanks for sharing! 

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.