So how do you monitor your intake?

Wrangler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm new to Bourbon as a drink to be enjoyed.  Many years ago, if I was drinking Bourbon I probably didn't even know or care that it was Bourbon.  If I was drinking hard liquor, it was in shot form and done quickly and usually wasn't an enjoyable experience.

Well, now that I've discovered Bourbon, I really enjoy drinking it and comparing the many varieties available.

This being said, I've crossed the line a little bit a few times recently.  Remember, I've been a beer drinker for the most part for most of my life so I'm used to drinking one after another.  This doesn't work so well with Bourbon.  Lol!

So how do you control your intake?  Do you set a number of pours as your limit or do you go by feel?  I think it's dangerous for me to go by feel as right up until I'm not good, I'm good.  Ha!  Seems to happen in an instant.  BOOM!  You're over the limit!

Advice please!

Set yourself up with predefined limits. Follow through and don't exceed those limits.

Personally,  i limit myself to 2x 2oz pours per night, twice a week, with the exception of vacation/holidays. I won't exceed those amounts, but also may be well under. Know that you don't need to drink out of obligation or habit. Take your time and savor the pour. I sometimes take a good hour to hour and a half to go through a single pour.

If you find yourself craving more or not able to keep to your goals constantly, take a step back and ask yourself if this great hobby is becoming a problem.

Additionally,  consider taking a dry week a few times a year as well, just to make sure things aren't sneaking up on you.

• I like it 1

I just usually monitor my intake by how much pours out of the bottle before I tilt it back up to stop it.  Other than that I drink when and how much I feel like at that time.  Normally that is only one or two pours, but circumstances often call for more...or less.

• I like it 1

Some of these high proof pours definitely sneak up on you. Some things also drink so "smooth" you don't notice (I"m looking at you 1792 BIB). I try to limit to 2 pours of around 1.5 to 2 oz ea. maybe 2 or 3 times a week. As others said...sometimes more, sometimes less.  You definitely have to consider proof of what you are drinking, whether you add ice or water, drink out of the freezer, etc.

• I like it 1

Honestly.... these days I don't really care about my intake. I should, but depression and anxiety kill any common sense I once had. I find myself going through a bottle every 3 days. This is NOT what you want to be doing.

• I like it 1

Occasionally I'll have too much. You can normally tell by an odd post. But for the most part I have other things that I enjoy more then whiskey. Like my daughter, building stuff, and even going to work. Well the last one not so much, but I do like the money it makes. If I find myself not paying enough attention to something really important, I take days off from drinking all together. It doesn't happen often. But every couple of years it does. For example I've backed down on consumption just this last week, because I'm starting to design a platform deck for the property. Not because I was drinking too much. But because I can't do them both at once.

• I like it 1

I think Cleobulus said it best, "Cherish not a thought"...or maybe it was one of his other sayings.

• I like it 1

I monitor my intake precisely and carefully. Most of what I drink is fairly high proof, usually around 120 proof and up to the mid-130s. I very carefully measure out my drink (always neat) and calculate the alcohol impact by multiplying the ABV times the amount of ounces. For example, three ounces of a 60% bourbon creates an actual alcohol impact of 180. I have learned my limits and stay below them. Bourbon and Rye do help me get to sleep, but I have to be capable of getting into the bed first in order to make that work. I also sip VERY slowly, at a rate of roughly an ounce and a half per hour.

• I like it 1

I think you find most people will underestimate or underreport their consumption of alcohol. food, or just about anything when discussing in a public forum. 

I also believe a lot of people's consumption has gone up during the pandemic. 

This said you need to set your limits.  I try to measure my pours and shoot for a 14 oz limit per week.  This is the equivalent of a 750 ml bottle every two weeks. Some weeks I fall below and some weeks I shoot past.  

I think the most important thing is to be aware and adjust if you feel like you are overdoing things.  How can you tell?  If you have regrets the next day.  I really do agree with taking breaks. It is also important to account for wine and beer.

• I like it 5

I quit trying to control my intake when I first married.  I quickly realized that I wasn't in control of anything, so what the hell.

But, I have learned a few things over the years...

I pour big, so I don't have to get up as frequently.  I've found that to be VERY helpful, especially when my legs may have gone completely numb one or two hours ago, but since I didn't have to get up... well, I didn't notice !  ;)

But, when I do (have to get up).......

0 to 1 wobble(s) = green light/good to go (for another pour, or four)! 

Two wobbles = yellow light (finish this one, then maybe a light, low proof pour... but, it's really time to start thinking about shutting it down).

Three wobbles and/or a total fall down/face plant =  Do not pass go! Do not collect $200!  Man your ass up, and finish the pour in the glass (yes, that is a requirement), then take no less than 4 Advil, drink no less than 10 oz of water, and crawl your ass into bed!   :blink:

When you awake the next morning, immediately make an at least 12 oz., double shot Bloody Mary.  With this, eat no less than 2 eggs combined with some form of animal meat that provides an adequate grease saturation level for your blood stream (yes, I'm looking at you Mr. pork products such as bacon, country ham and/or sausages)! 

This, combined with at least another 12 oz of water and/or orange juice, will alleviate any extreme hangover and/or dehydration issues, and allow one to proceed with a (relatively) normal day!  :)

• I like it 7

Thanks for the replies folks.  Yeah, the other night I remember going out to the Wife's Jeep, checking the rad. fluid then kind of fast forwarding to getting in bed.  I don't care for that.  Wife said I was fine just a little bit loose.  That hasn't happened to me in years so it kinda concerned me.

I'll take the appropriate steps to avoid this in the future.

Like I said, I've been a beer drinker my entire adult life so one after another is going to be a hard habit to break but I'll figure it out.  I was good until the other night, I guess I just got a bit cocky or caught up in it.  Now that I can actually, mostly, taste it, I kinda crave it.  Lol!

A long time, well experienced alcoholic who became a substance abuse counselor told me that her previous lifestyle's anti-hangover thing was two ibuprofen, at least a pint of cold water, and a multiple vitamin before bed. The closer one gets to retirement, the sillier that will sound. It became much easier to stop any alcohol consumption at least four hours before bed time.

That being said, unless there's just a tad left over, less than half an ounce in the bottle, I put the brakes on at 3 oz.

• I like it 2

18 minutes ago, Wrangler said:

Thanks for the replies folks.  Yeah, the other night I remember going out to the Wife's Jeep, checking the rad. fluid then kind of fast forwarding to getting in bed.  I don't care for that.  Wife said I was fine just a little bit loose.  That hasn't happened to me in years so it kinda concerned me.

I'll take the appropriate steps to avoid this in the future.

Like I said, I've been a beer drinker my entire adult life so one after another is going to be a hard habit to break but I'll figure it out.  I was good until the other night, I guess I just got a bit cocky or caught up in it.  Now that I can actually, mostly, taste it, I kinda crave it.  Lol!

Don't work on cars while drinking whiskey.   That's important.  Don't hurt yourself!

• I like it 1

Some days I don’t drink. Some days I drink just a little. Some days I drink a little more. Then there’s the fairly infrequent days when I just don’t give a ?. ? ??? 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

6 hours ago, 0895 said:

Don't work on cars while drinking whiskey.   That's important.  Don't hurt yourself!

Was just a fluid check, no running engine no electricity and no whirling digit removers.  ?

Here's my advice, Wrangler...

First BE An Adult!    Be Responsible for Yourself, Use Good Judgement, and don't consume more on any occasion than you're prepared to do. 

In pursuit of that goal a few strategies come to mind...

-Smaller pours if you're considering an extended session

-Use a smaller glass, maybe

-Pace yourself (you don't always need to be tipping that glass whenever your mouth is empty... enjoy some nosing and examination of the color, legs, etc.)

-You're allowed to set yourself a limit, such as tonight I will only consume 3-drinks, this afternoon I'll just have single cocktail, or tonight I'll only taste a couple luscious exemplary Bourbons but truly enjoy the experience...

I guess it ultimately comes down to self-control, Wrangler.     Most of us have it sometimes, some of us have it seldom; nobody seems to have it all the time... Heeee-he!

• I like it 1

I only drink on the weekends.  Limit it usually to two 2oz pours/cocktails a night.  If I'm out somewhere for a long time, get-together, party, or whatever, I keep it at a drink an hour.  No need to be stupid to ruin something as great as bourbon.  

Slow and steady wins the race...

• I like it 1

Wrangler, you and I may be in a similar place, so I can relate.  I've been mindlessly drinking bourbon for 40 years but only started exploring it in the last 9 months.  Because I am still exploring and learning, I tend to want to try some every evening, sometimes comparing 2 or 3 different bottles.  But I try to limit myself to about 3 oz a night, and, as said, I have to be careful with higher proofs.  If I overdo it, I can tell the next morning, and will usually lay off for a day.

I am also going to get some smaller glasses.

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

I only drink on the weekends.  Limit it usually to two 2oz pours/cocktails a night.  If I'm out somewhere for a long time, get-together, party, or whatever, I keep it at a drink an hour.  No need to be stupid to ruin something as great as bourbon.  

Slow and steady wins the race...

This reminds me of something Chuck Cowdery said. “Remember, it’s a marathon, not a sprint.”  How true. How true. Enjoy.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Good stuff.  Last night I had two pours and that was it.  One Larceny and one WT Rare Breed.  BOOM!

• I like it 1

Making cocktails is a fun way to slow down the consumption rate.

Regarding the water, I like to have a nice big glass of ice water next to my whiskey and rum at all times. It works a lot better to hydrate between sips than to try and make up for lost time at the end or next morning.

Another thing is to try not to have too much "bargain whiskey" around. When a bottle costs me 25 bucks, it's something I feel more justified to "plow through", as opposed to slowly savor and respect.

• I like it 3

I'm a big fan a hard rule supplemented with some softer guidelines.  For one, I do not drink anything Monday-Thursday.  Two, no more than 3 "drinks" on an evening (I put that in quotes because if I'm at home I'll often pour more than the 1.5oz standard of spirits or 5oz glass of wine, but the point is whatever vessel I'm using can only have something poured into it a maximum of three times -- not that I always need to reach three, but if I do, I know that's the endpoint).  Three, don't pour anything fresh after about 9:45 p.m. (even earlier if I'm sipping on Sundays); no sense further imbibing if I'm just going to quaff it and fall asleep.  Four, don't start too early, the later the better, in fact; I find if I start sipping right after work or in the afternoon on the weekend, it becomes increasingly harder to abide #2 above.  Five (and this is more of a niche-occasion rule than one of general applicability), if I am at a function or gathering professionally, semi-professionally (e.g. work party), or with people I don't know that well, keep the drinks to two, no more, possibly fewer; keeps the head clear to socialize, will not be met by judgment, and doesn't impact ability to drive if necessary.  

However, the foregoing (other than number 5) are probably more in the way of the "softer guidelines," because the only real hard rule that I make sure I follow is this: strive for strict adherence to those rules for 90% of the time.   No one's perfect, and different moods, occasions, and circumstances will call for different things, but if I can be consistent at least 90% of the time to limiting myself by the aforementioned principles, then I can't  fault myself for those rare occasions where they are not followed. 

Also this: 

2 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Regarding the water, I like to have a nice big glass of ice water next to my whiskey and rum at all times. It works a lot better to hydrate between sips than to try and make up for lost time at the end or next morning.

Another thing is to try not to have too much "bargain whiskey" around. When a bottle costs me 25 bucks, it's something I feel more justified to "plow through", as opposed to slowly savor and respect.

Both excellent points.  Sipping water before, during, and after drinking alcohol is crucial, and water is a nice way to slow down the experience and cleanse the palate a bit between sips.  And knowing that something costs a bit more (regardless of how it would fare if I were tasting it in a double blind comparison) keeps me honest in making sure I'm getting my moneys worth.

Edited by BigSkyDrams
removed word that made a logical inconsistency
  • I like it 1

6 hours ago, BigSkyDrams said:

I'm a big fan a hard rule supplemented with some softer guidelines.  For one, I do not drink anything Monday-Thursday.  Two, no more than 3 "drinks" on an evening (I put that in quotes because if I'm at home I'll often pour more than the 1.5oz standard of spirits or 5oz glass of wine, but the point is whatever vessel I'm using can only have something poured into it a maximum of three times -- not that I always need to reach three, but if I do, I know that's the endpoint).  Three, don't pour anything fresh after about 9:45 p.m. (even earlier if I'm sipping on Sundays); no sense further imbibing if I'm just going to quaff it and fall asleep.  Four, don't start too early, the later the better, in fact; I find if I start sipping right after work or in the afternoon on the weekend, it becomes increasingly harder to abide #2 above.  Five (and this is more of a niche-occasion rule than one of general applicability), if I am at a function or gathering professionally, semi-professionally (e.g. work party), or with people I don't know that well, keep the drinks to two, no more, possibly fewer; keeps the head clear to socialize, will not be met by judgment, and doesn't impact ability to drive if necessary.  

However, the foregoing (other than number 5) are probably more in the way of the "softer guidelines," because the only real hard rule that I make sure I follow is this: strive for strict adherence to those rules for 90% of the time.   No one's perfect, and different moods, occasions, and circumstances will call for different things, but if I can be consistent at least 90% of the time to limiting myself by the aforementioned principles, then I can't  fault myself for those rare occasions where they are not followed. 

Also this: 

Both excellent points.  Sipping water before, during, and after drinking alcohol is crucial, and water is a nice way to slow down the experience and cleanse the palate a bit between sips.  And knowing that something costs a bit more (regardless of how it would fare if I were tasting it in a double blind comparison) keeps me honest in making sure I'm getting my moneys worth.

Thank you!  That's perfect!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.