quality bourbon for gift??

Master_Photog
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Looking for recommendations on a quality bourbon in the $100 range as a gift for a friend.

Something that I don't see at Kroger or Meijer or Walmart.  I'd like something unique, not seen everyday and at least 7 years old.

Thank you!

The difficult part of $100 bourbon (IMO) is that a lot of bottles at that price point aren't worthy of that price. I personally would rather have two $50 bottles, but I get that doesn't seem as special to some.

If someone was dead set on getting me a $100 bottle I'd choose Knob Creek 15 or Four Square Nobilliary. It's a 14yr rum that's aged in bourbon barrels. It's honestly my favorite bottle currently. 

• I like it 2

Those qualifications make it tough to recommend anything without knowing more information. Items fitting those descriptions are either priced near a secondary number, or are very hard to acquire. 

Would you have any direction as to what you would like other than those qualifiers?

10 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

Those qualifications make it tough to recommend anything without knowing more information. Items fitting those descriptions are either priced near a secondary number, or are very hard to acquire. 

Would you have any direction as to what you would like other than those qualifiers?

Personally, I enjoy Russell's Reserve 10 yr, WT 101, a cask strength Four Roses, Barrell Bourbon 14 year.

I'm not particularly fond of Bookers, Woodford Reserve (although I do like the Double Oaked), Michter's, Old Forester, Elijah Craig.

Someone just posted about purchasing an OF 1920 & OF 100 proof two pack from Costco for $69.99. Might be worth a look see.

Biba! Joe

Is your friend already a bourbon drinker/aficionado?  Do you know what he has in his collection/bunker?

Beyond that info, my stock answer to questions like these is give a dusty or two (i.e. bourbon produced/bottled from several decades or more ago).  Unless they’re of an advanced age, a lot of bourbon drinkers won’t have had bottles from the 80s and earlier.  Invariably, they’ll appreciate both the history and the different flavor profiles.

22 minutes ago, parksmart said:

Is your friend already a bourbon drinker/aficionado?  Do you know what he has in his collection/bunker?

Beyond that info, my stock answer to questions like these is give a dusty or two (i.e. bourbon produced/bottled from several decades or more ago).  Unless they’re of an advanced age, a lot of bourbon drinkers won’t have had bottles from the 80s and earlier.  Invariably, they’ll appreciate both the history and the different flavor profiles.

Yes, he is a bourbon drinker and I unfortunately do not know what his stash contains.  When we go out for dinner, he knows what he likes and generally orders a neat, higher end bourbon.

The Hotaling's 11 year is of consideration as well.  Anchor distilleries products are definitely unique to this part of the country.

Edited by Master_Photog

I'd probably do a Lot B for retail of $90. Or a CEHT BP for $89. Or maybe a ETL for $39.99.

Of course the obvious problem is where/how do you go into a LS and buy them for MSRP? :) 

• I like it 1

A good gift bottle is something that he wouldn't or couldn't get for himself.  Blanton's, Stagg Jr.,  or CEHT are harder to find bottles that I think would make a good gift.  Or, an older batch of Booker's 

45 minutes ago, Curtis Reed said:

Little Book Chapter 3 for $99

If it's still on shelves where you are, this is the correct answer. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Curtis Reed said:

18 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

If it's still on shelves where you are, this is the correct answer. 

Bingo. Best idea yet. If you can still find it.

• I like it 2

It seems like he has the experience to discern a complex, high proof, aged pour.

Based on that, I second the LB recommendation.  If you can’t find that,  I’d go for one of the Barrel Boubon expressions.

• I like it 2

On 8/5/2020 at 2:39 PM, Master_Photog said:

Looking for recommendations on a quality bourbon in the $100 range as a gift for a friend.

Something that I don't see at Kroger or Meijer or Walmart.  I'd like something unique, not seen everyday and at least 7 years old.

Thank you!

I live in the Indy area.  If you are giving bourbon in the $100 price range as a gift for a friend, can I be your friend? ?

I think several of the suggestions above are great.  I believe the new Remus Repeal is out probably at Crown or BIg Red.  You can check with the local store manager.  Joseph Mangus and Murray Club are other options. You can actually find either at the Kroger in Carmel or Market District.  If on the East Side, the Rural Inn might have some nice options.  You could PM them on Facebook to see what they might have that is unique.

10 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I live in the Indy area.  If you are giving bourbon in the $100 price range as a gift for a friend, can I be your friend? ?

I think several of the suggestions above are great.  I believe the new Remus Repeal is out probably at Crown or BIg Red.  You can check with the local store manager.  Joseph Mangus and Murray Club are other options. You can actually find either at the Kroger in Carmel or Market District.  If on the East Side, the Rural Inn might have some nice options.  You could PM them on Facebook to see what they might have that is unique.

Guru, thanks!

I've had quite a few PMs since my inquiry too.  Due to the narrow scope of my search, there are some members willing to share what they have that are no longer in stores and/or are much harder to find.  This has been very helpful.  A private sale will more than likely have to happen than finding something locally at a retailer.

On 8/7/2020 at 11:02 PM, Curtis Reed said:

I'm certain Curtis Reed has THE Definitive Answer among the currently available options.   Find a Little Book, Chapter 3, and your giftee will thoroughly enjoy it, even if he already has one.    I've yet to hear anybody not loving this one.

• I like it 2

Ended up with a grab bag, not sure which one to gift, as I'll enjoy the others at my convenience.

HP.jpg

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Master_Photog said:

Ended up with a grab bag, not sure which one to gift, as I'll enjoy the others at my convenience.

HP.jpg

Give the New Riff as first choice and Johnny Drum as second. Definitely keep the ECBP and Barrell.

My two cents...

• I like it 1

21 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Give the New Riff as first choice and Johnny Drum as second. Definitely keep the ECBP and Barrell.

My two cents...

New Riff it is (the gift), I cracked the Johnny Drum as I was pretty sure the ECBP and the Barrell 14 year was staying with me.

The Johnny Drum might just be the most delicious bourbon I've had at that price!  The first pour out of the bottle was outstanding.

Yep, it’s solid for sure. Most sourced stuff from Willett is good, albeit overhyped and priced. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.