2020 Four Roses LE SmB

Jazz June
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 9/14/2020 at 1:57 PM, smokinjoe said:

I continue to see the percentages of each recipe referred to by various bloggers, but haven’t seen that info directly from a FR source. The “Paste” article refers to a “media tasting”, so perhaps the info was released there.  

Did a pick today at 4R with Brent Elliot and though he couldn’t remember the exact percentages off the top of his head, what he remembered is very close to what was posted in the Paste article. 

• I like it 2

Update:  Wife and I traveled to Four Roses to pick up my bottle of the 2020 Small Batch Limited Edition Release.  You had to make a reservation as to when you would be there to pick up your bottle.  We went at noon today.  We were the only customers there.  Bottle was $159.99, #83 out of over 14,000.  Autographed by Brent Elliot.  No mention of which specific variations are in this release, nor in what percentages.  Disappointing in that respect.  Also picked up a new 4R glass to enjoy it in.  Photos:

2B212779-2661-432A-9D30-8E9AF7399356_1_201_a.jpeg

0CB3B727-3209-4355-B9FC-C3CAD15A9697_1_201_a.jpeg

D1A92AAF-BB3E-4C69-A779-66A93F25A36D_1_201_a.jpeg

• I like it 16

19 hours ago, Kyjd75 said:

Update:  Wife and I traveled to Four Roses to pick up my bottle of the 2020 Small Batch Limited Edition Release.  You had to make a reservation as to when you would be there to pick up your bottle.  We went at noon today.  We were the only customers there.  Bottle was $159.99, #83 out of over 14,000.  Autographed by Brent Elliot.  No mention of which specific variations are in this release, nor in what percentages.  Disappointing in that respect.  Also picked up a new 4R glass to enjoy it in.  Photos:

2B212779-2661-432A-9D30-8E9AF7399356_1_201_a.jpeg

0CB3B727-3209-4355-B9FC-C3CAD15A9697_1_201_a.jpeg

D1A92AAF-BB3E-4C69-A779-66A93F25A36D_1_201_a.jpeg

Very nice!  The autograph, while not something I covet, is a nice inclusion for the lottery winners.  I think 4R openly said they would be taking recipe off back label starting in 2019 right?  I do think its a shame as those "stats" are nice to have on the back of the bottle.

Love the glencairn as well!

• I like it 1

On 9/24/2020 at 9:41 AM, Bob_Loblaw said:

Very nice!  The autograph, while not something I covet, is a nice inclusion for the lottery winners.  I think 4R openly said they would be taking recipe off back label starting in 2019 right?  I do think its a shame as those "stats" are nice to have on the back of the bottle.

Love the glencairn as well!

At least they still list the recipes and ages on their website. It would be nice if they gave %s but oh well

97F6AF3F-DFE9-49D5-8C8C-A13C95795A59.png

although not official by any means, I saw on Paste magazine the following:

— 12-year-old OBSV — 30%
— 12-year-old OESV — 25%
— 16-year-old OESK — 25%
— 19-year-old OBSK — 20%

has anyone tried it?  I'm curious to hear how it is!  I didn't win the MM or the general public lottery so I have to live vicariously through one of you for now.

• I like it 1

I haven't opened mine yet, but I did receive an email from Four Roses containing a link to a short (5 minute) YouTube video featuring their master Distiller Brent Elliott explaining this year's release.  Interesting to watch and informative:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPqZvsYp3Y0&feature=youtu.be&utm_source=2020+LE+Public+Lottery+-+Winners&utm_campaign=4b42cecde5-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_09_09_06_08_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_486b74a1c9-4b42cecde5-194694426

I'm not usually a big 4R fan but I thought 2019 LESmB was fantastic.  It was probably the best pour I had from last year.  I thought Al Young release was great..had a superb nose.  I had a bottle of the 17.  I liked it.  Was very fruity.  Apparently many cult members didn't care for that one.

The Al Young was particularly good when the hotel was pouring “hometown doubles” as pictured for $16.00. The bottle had mistakenly been placed on the bottom shelf as if it was a standard Small Batch.

IMG_8721.thumb.jpg.cb1ce234ce4491520ae3e5cb21d67ecc.jpg

• I like it 12

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

The Al Young was particularly good when the hotel was pouring “hometown doubles” as pictured for $16.00. The bottle had mistakenly been placed on the bottom shelf as if it was a standard Small Batch.

IMG_8721.thumb.jpg.cb1ce234ce4491520ae3e5cb21d67ecc.jpg

What a find and a hefty pour at that!

• 4 weeks later...

Had my first pour of this last night and thought it was really good. More research needed of course!

• I like it 1

• 4 weeks later...

Opened this today and so far not really a fan.  Kind of a mess of flavors with the oak being a little too dominant.

Praying it develops into something better after some oxygen.

Maybe there’s something wrong with me... 

4B6FB366-07DE-479F-9C95-A1FA38F3C78D.jpeg

7 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Opened this today and so far not really a fan.  Kind of a mess of flavors with the oak being a little too dominant.

Oh man, I love this one. One of my favorites in a long time. Hope it gets better for you.

2 hours ago, 0895 said:

I was underwhelmed by it, but I'm that way about a lot of 4R. ?‍♂️

Just now, Clueby said:

I was underwhelmed by it, but I'm that way about a lot of 4R. ?‍♂️

I'll take yours too then!

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I don't have one. Tried a friend's.

Well shoot. At least you aren't out the price of a full bottle.

Just now, Clueby said:

I don't have one. Tried a friend's.

For that matter, I did too and didn't much care for it then either.

Only opened mine because I'm really hoping I'm eventually wrong.

The wife thought it was good, so there's that. :)

3 hours ago, 0895 said:

3 hours ago, flahute said:

Oh man, I love this one. One of my favorites in a long time. Hope it gets better for you.

I’am with Steve. While they are different I like this one as much as the 2019, and after it was open a day or two maybe a bit more. Not quite to 2012/13 or Al Young level but very good.

3 hours ago, 0895 said:

You said it, not me! ?

Edited by tanstaafl2
  • I like it 4

14 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I’am with Steve. While they are different I like this one as much as the 2019, and after it was open a day or two maybe a bit more. Not quite to 2012/13 or Al Young level but very good.

You said it, not me! ?

I’ll probably do a ‘14-‘20 sbsbsbs.... tasting over the holidays.

More specifically when I’m off work the next day ?.

• I like it 3

I would be happy to offer my hazardous waste disposal services to anyone who is not getting along with their Four Roses LE SmB bottles. 

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was not a big fan with the first pour out of the bottle either, but my second pour a few days later it seemed to have opened up a little bit.  Hoping it contiunes to improve. 

• 2 months later...

Finally got a bottle this week - WOW.   I love it.   Nor normally a 4Rose's guy, but man this makes my top 5 for best releases of the year.   Just hits on every level, and that was the neck pour.   Looking forward to enjoying this bottle.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.