Blantons SFTB coming to the USA

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm actually less than excited about this. Not because I don't care for it - I think its great and have really enjoyed every bottle I've had. But rather it has seemed to always be on the shelf on my travels abroad and reasonably priced too (IIRC 75-90 Euro). With it becoming available domestically as a limited release I suspect the international quantities will decline and it will be as rare as BTAC if not more so here, not to mention the boost in price. Yeah, one has to travel (or import) to get it to date, so conceivably it broadens the consumer base for it (but I doubt it will in practical terms). Oh well. I've got a few in the bunker still so will ration them for the foreseeable future.

• I like it 2

Fanostra.. if you travel soon.. pick me one up ?before they go up too much!In my mind it would be like a EHTBP?

Edited by FasterHorses

Yeah, we don't ever see regular Blanton's anymore.  I see it as more of a hypothetical thing, SFTB availability.  The few bottles will go directly down some worm hole into another dimension.

• I like it 4

16 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Fanostra.. if you travel soon.. pick me one up ?before they go up too much!In my mind it would be like a EHTBP?

I wish I were, but given the current state of things I don't know when my next overseas trip will be. RE: the comparison with EHTBP, I've had that only once and haven't cracked my own bottle of it yet so I can't really say. But I just poured myself a SFTB bottled 1-11-2016 at 128.5 proof and its full of flavor and nicely viscous. Like regular Blanton's but turned up to 11!

• I like it 1

7 minutes ago, fanostra said:

I wish I were, but given the current state of things I don't know when my next overseas trip will be. RE: the comparison with EHTBP, I've had that only once and haven't cracked my own bottle of it yet so I can't really say. But I just poured myself a SFTB bottled 1-11-2016 at 128.5 proof and its full of flavor and nicely viscous. Like regular Blanton's but turned up to 11!

I know a restaurant that has it. If I dont land one I’ll have to go but a pour. Depending on how you look at this.. it’s possibly one good thing to come out of 2020... but like Paulo said .. probably never see em stateside.

Yeah, I'd have a better time trying to win the entire BTAC lineup than find this.  

• I like it 2

16 hours ago, PaulO said:

Yeah, we don't ever see regular Blanton's anymore.  I see it as more of a hypothetical thing, SFTB availability.  The few bottles will go directly down some worm hole into another dimension.

Same here.

Price is wacky. Grabbed a bottle years ago and it was worth what it went for then I thought... but $150 is nuts. 

• I like it 1

I have a bottle I paid roughly $120 for 3 years ago. I like it a lot, but I personally like ECBP better. So even if I come across more I'll be leaving it for the next person. 

20 hours ago, fanostra said:

I'm actually less than excited about this. Not because I don't care for it - I think its great and have really enjoyed every bottle I've had. But rather it has seemed to always be on the shelf on my travels abroad and reasonably priced too (IIRC 75-90 Euro). With it becoming available domestically as a limited release I suspect the international quantities will decline and it will be as rare as BTAC if not more so here, not to mention the boost in price. Yeah, one has to travel (or import) to get it to date, so conceivably it broadens the consumer base for it (but I doubt it will in practical terms). Oh well. I've got a few in the bunker still so will ration them for the foreseeable future.

Unfortunately, thanks to secondary pricing and the increase in popularity of auctions in Europe, the whole Blanton's range has dried up in the usual retails spots. So for the time being, it is just as difficult here (overseas) to get as anywhere else.

For context, one of the bigger auctions (Whisky Auctioneer) started it's latest auction today. There are 1148 US whiskey lots in that auction. Of those, 369 are Blanton's products. That's 32%, math fans. 32% of the US whiskey at auction is Blanton's, so retail in these parts is, as Guy Ritchie might write it, 'proper fucked'. 

3 hours ago, beasled said:

Unfortunately, thanks to secondary pricing and the increase in popularity of auctions in Europe, the whole Blanton's range has dried up in the usual retails spots. So for the time being, it is just as difficult here (overseas) to get as anywhere else.

For context, one of the bigger auctions (Whisky Auctioneer) started it's latest auction today. There are 1148 US whiskey lots in that auction. Of those, 369 are Blanton's products. That's 32%, math fans. 32% of the US whiskey at auction is Blanton's, so retail in these parts is, as Guy Ritchie might write it, 'proper fucked'. 

Ugh. That is discouraging to hear. It has been probably 18 months at least since I last picked some up in Germany. I guess its pack to muling grappa and other things on the next trip...

I could not less excited about anything than this. Who the heck cares it will be available stateside finally? It's yet another taterfest for BT products that I have zero interest in.

• I like it 3

13 hours ago, flahute said:

I could not less excited about anything than this. Who the heck cares it will be available stateside finally? It's yet another taterfest for BT products that I have zero interest in.

Now, now Steve. Over the years, lot’s of people complained that most of the Blanton’s bottlings were only available overseas. More specifically, the Gold and SFTB. Folks wished they were sold here in The States. It appears that someone was listening. Just sayin’. ?

Bib! Joe

45 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Now, now Steve. Over the years, lot’s of people complained that most of the Blanton’s bottlings were only available overseas. More specifically, the Gold and SFTB. Folks wished they were sold here in The States. It appears that someone was listening. Just sayin’. ?

Bib! Joe

Not blaming BT here! I should clarify that I do give them credit for listening and bringing these stateside. It's the generally overzealous pursuit of all things BT by the newbies that I'm referring to. These new Blanton's products will be the new "best thing ever" that everyone will be posting victory shots of on social media for all of the attaboys.

1 hour ago, flahute said:

Not blaming BT here! I should clarify that I do give them credit for listening and bringing these stateside. It's the generally overzealous pursuit of all things BT by the newbies that I'm referring to. These new Blanton's products will be the new "best thing ever" that everyone will be posting victory shots of on social media for all of the attaboys.

Understood Steve. I just had to give you a little grief. ;) Galvin0791 sent me a text message yesterday with a copy of the message put out by BT. The final sentence of his message pretty much summarized things. It went something Ike this. “Yeah. Good luck snagging one of those.” I agree.  A slight glimmer of hope is with more taters chasing the Gold and SFTB, regular Blanton’s might become a little more available. 

Biba! Joe

image.gif.37aa24a66cebc1bd697dc862fdf71194.gif

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Understood Steve. I just had to give you a little grief. ;) Galvin0791 sent me a text message yesterday with a copy of the message put out by BT. The final sentence of his message pretty much summarized things. It went something Ike this. “Yeah. Good luck snagging one of those.” I agree.  A slight glimmer of hope is with more taters chasing the Gold and SFTB, regular Blanton’s might become a little more available. 

Biba! Joe

image.gif.37aa24a66cebc1bd697dc862fdf71194.gif

Grief accepted and deserved!

On 8/28/2020 at 11:44 AM, fanostra said:

I With it becoming available domestically as a limited release I suspect the international quantities will decline and it will be as rare as BTAC if not more so here, not to mention the boost in price. 

We have had it here in Australia for several years now, sitting at around $150 AUD ($105 USD).  Since the international release announcement, the price has started climbing to $175 AUD ($125 USD) and it's becoming harder to find.  This did coincide with a change in distributor... it's now being imported by the Sazerac owned Southtrade group, who set the prices for EH Taylor Small batch and Stagg Jnr at $320 AUD ($230 USD).

Cam, I can get EHT Small Batch around $40 USD and Stagg Jr $50+ and I don't buy them.  Even at those price points (or less) there are other items more pleasing to me.  $230 USD is crazy.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.