Anybody try Little Book chapter 4?

RWBadley
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I saw this down at a local.

I haven't seen much about it, a couple reviews online seem to think it's pretty good. It contains some young brown rice whisky, some high rye af 5-6 years old and some straight bourbon at 7 years. 

Seems interesting but it is over the 100$ price point. 

Cheers,

RW

I haven't seen too much about this one.  I really loved LB3 last year but that was a more normal blend of high aged high proof products.  The young Brown Rice bourbon was an odd choice.  Hopefully it's good, but I really didn't care too much for LB1 or LB2.

11 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

I haven't seen too much about this one.  I really loved LB3 last year but that was a more normal blend of high aged high proof products.  The young Brown Rice bourbon was an odd choice.  Hopefully it's good, but I really didn't care too much for LB1 or LB2.

I am in the same camp.   Loved 3 - was one of the better bourbons I had last year.    The blend for 4 is just out there.  Going to go the bar pour route first.

• I like it 1

It's very rye forward, yet with a distinctive Beam note running through it. Took quite a bit of water and time to show itself, but the folks that I've brought samples to have been pleasantly surprised. I still have an open Chapter 2 that I need to pit it against. Prices have ranged from $75 to $90.

38 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

It's very rye forward, yet with a distinctive Beam note running through it. Took quite a bit of water and time to show itself, but the folks that I've brought samples to have been pleasantly surprised. I still have an open Chapter 2 that I need to pit it against. Prices have ranged from $75 to $90.

Thanks for the notes. I would absolutely buy at $75. Unfortunately it’s $130-140 around here which makes it an easy pass this year. 

To add onto what others have said LB3 was incredible and this summer I went out and secured a few extras. 

11 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I tried it (and bought one) a couple of days ago. Solid bourbon with definite rye influence as Dave notes although for me I didn’t find that much water was needed. Maybe a drop or two to see how it impacted the flavor. At $75-80 it’s a decent buy. At $120-130 I am ok with just one. It is a 7yo standard Beam (I would guess) and an 8yo “high rye” rye whiskey (or so I read somewhere which suggests it is not just older Overholt) so perhaps not a standard Beam rye. 

I don’t find it as interesting as the past two releases as best I remember. Clearly a side by side by side is in order!

863F638F-3DDF-4AE3-8443-4B99AAACBC5A.jpeg

FDCC6E88-1BE8-4ADF-A267-14D913ED0312.jpeg

Sounds like a solid pass for me since I don't like Beam at anything sub 9 years old.

Baker's used to be amazing at 7 yrs old but that's all shot to hell with the single barrel variation.

19 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I tried it (and bought one) a couple of days ago. Solid bourbon with definite rye influence as Dave notes although for me I didn’t find that much water was needed. Maybe a drop or two to see how it impacted the flavor. At $75-80 it’s a decent buy. At $120-130 I am ok with just one. It is a 7yo standard Beam (I would guess) and an 8yo “high rye” rye whiskey (or so I read somewhere which suggests it is not just older Overholt) so perhaps not a standard Beam rye. 

I don’t find it as interesting as the past two releases as best I remember. Clearly a side by side by side is in order!

863F638F-3DDF-4AE3-8443-4B99AAACBC5A.jpeg

FDCC6E88-1BE8-4ADF-A267-14D913ED0312.jpeg

I was reading something somewhere else (that now I can't find to link) that the rye was actually the recipe they used for Booker's Rye. 

3 hours ago, BigRich said:

I was reading something somewhere else (that now I can't find to link) that the rye was actually the recipe they used for Booker's Rye. 

That would seem to fit with what I read. The Bookers rye had a higher rye content (65% or so?) than standard Beam rye or Old Overholt.

On 9/3/2020 at 3:26 PM, BigRich said:

On 9/3/2020 at 7:24 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

That would seem to fit with what I read. The Bookers rye had a higher rye content (65% or so?) than standard Beam rye or Old Overholt.

Going from memory off the top of my head (granted, a very dangerous endeavor for me) I seem to recall that Beam claimed the Booker's Rye recipe was lost or not documented.  Am I just mis-remembering?

9 hours ago, Kepler said:

Going from memory off the top of my head (granted, a very dangerous endeavor for me) I seem to recall that Beam claimed the Booker's Rye recipe was lost or not documented.  Am I just mis-remembering?

There was buzz around when Booker’s rye came out that it was a one time batch, as it was the only barrels Booker had produced of that recipe. I don’t think anyone from Beam ever actually confirmed that the recipe was lost. 

This article from 2018 had an interview with Fred Noe says they still have the recipe. If you read the whole article it’s a little confusing/contradictory though. As of 2018, Fred said they had not produced any barrels that were the same as Booker’s Rye. However the same article sites a different Beam Suntory source saying they have laid down barrels from the same mashbill. So based on this article, it would seem that yes they have produced some rye from the same mashbill, but it would have been watered down to a lower barrel entry proof, unlike the Booker’s rye. Who knows though, this is just once source. 

https://www.gobourbon.com/the-next-batch-of-jim-beams-bookers-rye-hasnt-been-barreled-yet/

For the record, I really like me some Booker’s Rye, like, a lot. For my friends and family that like whiskey my collection is pretty much all fair game. But I’ll admit I start to get a nervous twitch when someone starts to get close to my last remaining half-full bottle of this stuff.....

• I like it 1

On 9/2/2020 at 9:17 AM, Marekv8 said:

LB4 MSRP is $125, so those are relative values.

On 9/4/2020 at 11:00 PM, Kepler said:

Yes, your memory is accurate.  When Booker's Big Time Rye batch was released, The official Beam press release stated, Booker Noe distilled & laid down the Barrels without documenting his recipe. The speculation amin 2016 was it was higher in Rye than the standard "barely legal Beam Rye."

Cheers

Edited by Wedelstaedt
Added clarification
  • I like it 1

• 3 months later...

I like Chapter 4.   It's different,  and I like it better than Bookers.    If it were priced the same as Bookers,  I'd bunker another one.   But at $130,  it's a one and done for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Sipping this again tonight.  I'm about two-thirds done by now,   and it is airing out nicely.   I have no frame of reference for the rice bourbon that makes up a portion of the mashbill,   but I like the way it reduces the "peanut funk"  of the standard Beam (certainly the usual Bookers),  with what I can only describe as a bit of crispness.    It's better integrated now than when I first opened the bottle.   Overall grade?   Worth it!

I collect the Little Books rather than the Bookers;  I am fascinated by the possibilities and potentials of blending and dig the conceit of a single guy (Freddie)  with access to the best barrels,  just coming up with something new every year.    Some are better than others,  and the price is too high (this should be priced the same as Bookers),  and while the esoterica of different Bookers batches is not uninteresting to me,   I still have more fun discovering potentials in new concepts.  

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 3

• 11 months later...

Anybody pick up Chapter 5? Curious if you like it. Doesn’t seem too unique and that’s what I’ve enjoyed about previous chapters. 

17 hours ago, MM818 said:

Anybody pick up Chapter 5? Curious if you like it. Doesn’t seem too unique and that’s what I’ve enjoyed about previous chapters. 

I commented earlier in the thread that I wanted to try CH 4 at a bar, and I did - liked it well enough to buy it!

I like 5 better than 4.   Probably my 2nd favorite next the CH 3.   Agree with MM that it is overpriced, but I am also a sucker for a vertical for my friends to try.

Just my .02

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, MM818 said:

I've seen it a couple of times, but still haven't sprung for it because of the price.   It really shouldn't cost more than Bookers, IMO.   I hesitate to say it's jumped the shark, though, because all the previous Chapters I've tried have been excellent.

• I like it 1

On 12/30/2021 at 3:27 PM, Jazzhead said:

I've seen it a couple of times, but still haven't sprung for it because of the price.   It really shouldn't cost more than Bookers, IMO.   I hesitate to say it's jumped the shark, though, because all the previous Chapters I've tried have been excellent.

pricing has jumped the shark - but the juice is always top notch!

• 2 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.