Happy birthday Gavin Brown

Flyfish
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, if I could focus on the OF label I would know his name was George Garvin Brown. Geezers should never trust their memory. 

I saw the flyer but I'm nowhere near L'ville so nothing from.  Looking forward to hearing notes.

10 minutes ago, kawboyz11 said:

Picked one up at retailer in Lexington, KY area for $129.99 plus tax. 

How is it?

8 hours ago, geclbxf said:

How is it?

Just opened it about an hour ago. I enjoy it but I definitely think retail is a little high in terms of value. I feel like last year's birthday bourbon was better but this is still a solid bourbon. This year has lots or caramel and coconut flavors and of course the slight banana that Old Forester is typically known for. 

1 hour ago, kawboyz11 said:

Just opened it about an hour ago. I enjoy it but I definitely think retail is a little high in terms of value. I feel like last year's birthday bourbon was better but this is still a solid bourbon. This year has lots or caramel and coconut flavors and of course the slight banana that Old Forester is typically known for. 

They are very rare, but those bourbons with the coconut note hiding in there are some of my all time faves!  ?

On 9/5/2020 at 5:58 PM, smokinjoe said:

They are very rare, but those bourbons with the coconut note hiding in there are some of my all time faves!  ?

I believe Jackie Zykan described this years OFBB release as a "tropical explosion" flavor wise in two different podcasts.  One recent and one from several months ago.  Do not think she said coconut specifically, but it would certainly fit the bill.

I am not actively on the hunt for this one and agree that the price to value is not necessarily there.  I have enjoyed a lot of spectacular OF bourbons and not sure any year of OFBB were the best ones.  

On 9/10/2020 at 2:41 PM, Bob_Loblaw said:

I believe Jackie Zykan described this years OFBB release as a "tropical explosion" flavor wise in two different podcasts.  One recent and one from several months ago.  Do not think she said coconut specifically, but it would certainly fit the bill.

I am not actively on the hunt for this one and agree that the price to value is not necessarily there.  I have enjoyed a lot of spectacular OF bourbons and not sure any year of OFBB were the best ones.  

I haven't heard the podcast you referenced but I would tend to agree with her assessment. The coconut note I picked up isn't particularly strong but definitely present. As you said, value to price isn't great with the OFBB. I was happy to find it at retail but retail is now pushing the upper limit of what many people (drinkers, not collectors) will want to pay. Have had a few Old Fo barrel strength single barrels that have been very good recently. 

On 9/12/2020 at 12:46 PM, kawboyz11 said:

I haven't heard the podcast you referenced but I would tend to agree with her assessment. The coconut note I picked up isn't particularly strong but definitely present. As you said, value to price isn't great with the OFBB. I was happy to find it at retail but retail is now pushing the upper limit of what many people (drinkers, not collectors) will want to pay. Have had a few Old Fo barrel strength single barrels that have been very good recently. 

Thanks for the heads up. Frankly I’d prefer the barrel proof over OFBB.

• I like it 2

• 1 month later...

I was just offered a change to buy a bottle at my local liquor store. 

the price out the door would’ve been $272. 

thought about it all evening but am going to pass on it. 

not enough great reviews out there of it for the cost. 

• I like it 1

49 minutes ago, ptman2000 said:

I was just offered a change to buy a bottle at my local liquor store. 

the price out the door would’ve been $272. 

thought about it all evening but am going to pass on it. 

not enough great reviews out there of it for the cost. 

I think that’s a wise choice. I’ve had many years of OFBB releases, and I don’t think I’d pay that much for any of them personally

• I like it 1

21 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

I think that’s a wise choice. I’ve had many years of OFBB releases, and I don’t think I’d pay that much for any of them personally

100% agree. I broke down and bought one this year when I said I wasn’t going to. 

It has dropped another year in age and it is one of the lower proof bottlings. It is profoundly full of blandness in flavor and yet they have the audacity to charge more for it this year at least in my market. In my opinion $72 is too much, much less $272 (which is at least twice retail!).

3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

100% agree. I broke down and bought one this year when I said I wasn’t going to. 

It has dropped another year in age and it is one of the lower proof bottlings. It is profoundly full of blandness in flavor and yet they have the audacity to charge more for it this year at least in my market. In my opinion $72 is too much, much less $272 (which is at least twice retail!).

Yow that is very unsatisfying to hear. I used to be one of the outliers that really liked OFBB when others didn't. I haven't had the shot at it recently and it sounds like I'm not missing anything. BF seems to be one of the distilleries that has no problem upping prices on mediocre bourbon. 

• I like it 1

Given my like for a couple of OF’s offerings, their Birthday Bourbons aren’t on my favorites list. I had a couple early on that were just okay. The next couple I tried weren’t very good at all. The only time after that I even bothered to look at one was when BF changed the bottle. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

I have been super lucky the past couple of years and happened to win 2 store lotteries on OFBB at MSRP.  I also got another one at MSRP through my local store strictly due to my customer loyalty status and nothing else.  I agree with others on here that OFBB is not worth the extra secondary upcharge. I really love the taste of OFBB but if I don't score a bottle at MSRP this year, I will be fine with drinking OF1920 at $50 all day long.  To taters everywhere I say:  Don't sweat it!

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, Kepler said:

I have been super lucky the past couple of years and happened to win 2 store lotteries on OFBB at MSRP.  I also got another one at MSRP through my local store strictly due to my customer loyalty status and nothing else.  I agree with others on here that OFBB is not worth the extra secondary upcharge. I really love the taste of OFBB but if I don't score a bottle at MSRP this year, I will be fine with drinking OF1920 at $50 all day long.  To taters everywhere I say:  Don't sweat it!

We are completely aligned on this.

• I like it 1

17 hours ago, Kepler said:

1920 is really hard to beat.

In a blind I was part of, 1920 beat '16 OFBB almost unanimously amongst 10 people.

41 minutes ago, 0895 said:

1920 is really hard to beat.

In a blind I was part of, 1920 beat '16 OFBB almost unanimously amongst 10 people.

Well there it is.  I've never done a direct blind SBS myself but it doesn't surprise me.  Sounds like a fun future exercise though!  115 proof does usually have a bit of an advantage versus 97 proof in blinds however.

On 10/18/2020 at 2:59 AM, Kepler said:

I am not entirely sure OFBB is worth MSRP anymore. In fact I am pretty sure it is not.

3 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I am not entirely sure OFBB is worth MSRP anymore. In fact I am pretty sure it is not.

I'd like to be able to make an assessment but alas, none to be had.

2 minutes ago, flahute said:

I'd like to be able to make an assessment but alas, none to be had.

Come on over!

3 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Come on over!

An Atlanta visit to hang out with the GBS crew is definitely in the long term plans!

• I like it 1

18 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Probably right, but do you want to apply that rule to all bourbon these days?

47 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Probably right, but do you want to apply that rule to all bourbon these days?

These days there seem to be more I do want to apply it to than I don’t. Of course that comes with the luxury of a substantial excess of whiskey already in my possession!

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.