WT Kentucky Spirit

k-train
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

As far as WT products go, I absolutely love RR10 & RRSiB. I know a lot of folks rave about WTRB & WT101, but I haven’t had them in so long I barely remember whether I liked them or not. I’ve never actually had WTKS at all, and I feel like I never really hear anyone singing it’s praises either.

Here in NC the price for it is regularly set at $55... which is $5 more than WTRB & only $5 less than RRSiB... so I’ve never found it to make much sense over those two from a pricing standpoint, and thus why I’ve yet to try it.

However, it’s now $20 off at certain stores near me, so I’m wondering if $35 for WTKS is a deal I shouldn’t be passing up.

• I like it 1

9 minutes ago, k-train said:

As far as WT products go, I absolutely love RR10 & RRSiB. I know a lot of folks rave about WTRB & WT101, but I haven’t had them in so long I barely remember whether I liked them or not. I’ve never actually had WTKS at all, and I feel like I never really hear anyone singing it’s praises either.

Here in NC the price for it is regularly set at $55... which is $5 more than WTRB & only $5 less than RRSiB... so I’ve never found it to make much sense over those two from a pricing standpoint, and thus why I’ve yet to try it.

However, it’s now $20 off at certain stores near me, so I’m wondering if $35 for WTKS is a deal I shouldn’t be passing up.

If you haven't tried it, $35 is a can't pass price for WTKS.  I  believe it doesn't get as much "love" as WT101 and WTRB because of cost. As a single barrel, each barrel may have a slightly different profile but generally fall within a general profile for the brand.  I find it a little drier than WTRB.  In my area, the prices are WT $22, WTRB, $42, and WTKS $55.  I enjoy all three with a preference of WTKS>WTRB>WT101.  However, price drives my purchase preference to WT101 since I can get two bottles for the price of one.

• I like it 3

I'm one of the few on here who is not a fan of WT 101.  I've tried it on more than 1 occasion and to me it comes off as thin and hot.  That being said, I'm a big fan of WTKS, WTRB and all of the RR iterations.  WTKS for $35 is a definite buy for me.

• I like it 1

It's a single barrel product, so you might get a great one, or a more average one.  If you find one really in your wheel house, march back to the store for backup(s) from that same barrel.  I've read the age on these is eight years, but not on the label.  I say give it a go @ $35.

• I like it 1

Just double checked the price & WTKS is actually now $60 here normally... so the same price as the RR SiB.

Getting it for cheaper than I can get RR10 seems like something I should jump on based on everything that's been said here.

Thanks to all of you for the advice!

As was already stated, clear the shelf.  As an interesting experiment, do a SBS with WTRB and you'll be able to tell the difference pretty quickly.

• I like it 1

As a Turkey head, I love WTKS. As others noted above, it's cost at 101 proof compared to other Turkey products with a higher proof for the same price or less is why you don't hear a lot about KS.

• I like it 1

IWTKS is one of my favorites. Particularly if you can get it in the old “perfume” style bottles. 

• I like it 1

11 minutes ago, StarSurfer55 said:

IWTKS is one of my favorites. Particularly if you can get it in the old “perfume” style bottles. 

My last WT purchase was a few months ago. It was an old WTKS perfume/fan tail bottle. My reasons for buying it were because it was a private selection, and I was waxing nostalgic. :unsure:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

$35 is an incredible price. Because it's a single barrel product, I wouldn't clear the shelf with all bottles from the same barrel without tasting first. If they happen to be different barrels, then buy one or 2 from each different barrel anyway. 

A price like this would be reason to invoke the infamous "parking lot pour" ... don't forget to bring a small plastic cup in the car. Lol

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

A price like this would be reason to invoke the infamous "parking lot pour" ... don't forget to bring a small plastic cup in the car. Lol

Good advice Kepler.  Pro tip there,  for you Rooks. :-))

Thanks to SB, i have used "The Parking Lot Pour " more than once. ;-)). It saved me on both great bottles & bottles that didn't suit me. 

Cheers. 

Edited by Wedelstaedt
Punctuation, thanks Mr. P
  • I like it 2

WTKS for $35 would have me grinning like the Cheshire cat.   At $60,  it's only an occasional indulgence.   But I like WT at 101 proof,  and I guess I believe and enjoy the conceit that this barrel is chosen to be representative of the breed. 

The last bottle I had of the WTKS (the first I'd bought in the new boring bottle) was a disappointment - too dry and one dimensional.    But until they bring back the one true home run they've been denying us for years -  RR10 at 101 proof,  unchill-filtered just as a token of  apology for having taken the stuff away in the first place - I will find myself buying the occasional bottle of WTKS.   

• I like it 2

20 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

My last WT purchase was a few months ago. It was an old WTKS perfume/fan tail bottle. My reasons for buying it were because it was a private selection, and I was waxing nostalgic. :unsure:

Biba! Joe

And it was on the shelf, and you had some money in your pocket, and you were going to buy something, and . . . 

• I like it 2

20 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

And it was on the shelf, and you had some money in your pocket, and you were going to buy something, and . . . 

Hey, nobody’s perfect. :unsure:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

So a few days ago, I was talking with a friend about how I was planning to head to the ABC store near his house this weekend to grab a bottle or two of that discounted WTKS. Fast forward to today, and he comes by my place to grab a stereo receiver... and drops this off for me as well:
966264863_KentuckySpirit-1b.thumb.jpg.c54cfc1d0463f74091b7273ba9a301a7.jpg
I guess they have it marked down to clear out the remaining turkey feather bottles they have in stock. Gonna open it up this evening & if it speaks to me, I'll be grabbing another bottle or two this weekend.

• I like it 3

5 minutes ago, k-train said:

So a few days ago, I was talking with a friend about how I was planning to head to the ABC store near his house this weekend to grab a bottle or two of that discounted WTKS. Fast forward to today, and he comes by my place to grab a stereo receiver... and drops this off for me as well:
966264863_KentuckySpirit-1b.thumb.jpg.c54cfc1d0463f74091b7273ba9a301a7.jpg
I guess they have it marked down to clear out the remaining turkey feather bottles they have in stock. Gonna open it up this evening & if it speaks to me, I'll be grabbing another bottle or two this weekend.

Your friend picked that up recently from the ABC store for the discounted price?  If so, you and/or him should get over there fast!

• I like it 1

I loved the old “fan tailed” bottles.  I have a few of those back in the bunker.

Nice picture!

Edited by markandrex
  • I like it 1

1 minute ago, parksmart said:

Your friend picked that up recently from the ABC store for the discounted price?  If so, you and/or him should get over there fast!

Yeah, he grabbed it today and mentioned that they had about 6 bottles left.  I'm aware of 4 stores here that have each have a few left at that price, so I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be giving them a visit tomorrow.

1 hour ago, JoeTerp said:

Bourbon must not have caught on in NC yet, those have been long gone in VA.

not totally long gone in VA.  I've a few in the larder.  paid $35 for couple and regret not getting more.  that $35 was like many years ago.  that price today is cra-cra.

Edited by B.B. Babington
notes on price

Its been a few years since I've had a WTKS, but I'm in the thread because I too enjoyed the old bottle style.  So much so that I repurposed my last one to be my infinity/solera bottle.  

As far as buying new, the close-proximity in pricing of the Kentucky Spirit versus the Rare Breed in my area has made me defer to the latter.   But I would certainly buy up a couple of WTKS bottles at $35 apiece if I came across it.  

39 minutes ago, BigSkyDrams said:

Its been a few years since I've had a WTKS, but I'm in the thread because I too enjoyed the old bottle style.  So much so that I repurposed my last one to be my infinity/solera bottle.  

As far as buying new, the close-proximity in pricing of the Kentucky Spirit versus the Rare Breed in my area has made me defer to the latter.   But I would certainly buy up a couple of WTKS bottles at $35 apiece if I came across it.  

I also have a fan tail bottle that I use as a decanter. I do a 2 parts WTRB plus 3 parts RR10. it comes to 100.72 proof, so it's basically a more complex version of WT101

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.