Mini Barrel Batch #2 - Rye

marshall9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I can’t necessarily say why, but I’m not crazy about keeping it confined like that in a small sealed space.  I was thinking maybe taking it with you into the bathroom when you shower.  Let the steam from the hot water juice it up a bit.  Just spit ballin’ here, though...

37 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I can’t necessarily say why, but I’m not crazy about keeping it confined like that in a small sealed space.  I was thinking maybe taking it with you into the bathroom when you shower.  Let the steam from the hot water juice it up a bit.  Just spit ballin’ here, though...

Thought about that too. 

Bourbon in a barrel interacting with oxygen is important to aging so I think keeping it cooped up like that will hinder or at least change what would normally happen.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2021 at 3:38 PM, marshall9779 said:

Don’t know if this is advisable or not but not sure why I didn’t of it until now. So my house is sitting at about 30% humidity right now with the cold dry weather. That is with a humidifier on my furnace but not sure how much it actually helps. With my house that dry I started thinking about how much evaporative loss I’m having. I remembered I have a big airtight container I had used as a humidor previously. The barrel fits minus the stand. I put it in there with a dish of distilled water to bring the humidity up. Will probably leave that in for a week or so to allow the wood to absorb a bunch. I will replace the dish with some 65% Bovedas humidity packs. Not sure how much loss this will save over the next almost two months that I plan on aging it but figured I would do it. Anyone have any comments on whether or not I should continue with this plan?

6F8C9C3E-5012-44B7-8B81-F1AA797D4F37.jpeg

No idea what will happen.  Never hurts to experiment though!

19 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

No idea what will happen.  Never hurts to experiment though!

So I’ve had it in there for a week or so. I put a digital hygrometer from my humidor in there. It got up to about 80% humidity with a dish of distilled water in it with it latches shut. Left it like that for a few days then stuck in some 65% Boveda packs for a few days but humidity wanted to stay at about 70%. Took the packs out and with just the moisture from what is evaporating from the barrel it keeps it at about 70%  with  the lid just sitting on top not latched. The barrel is creating its own humid environment. I have been opening up and fanning some fresh air in every couple days.

Edited by marshall9779

• 3 weeks later...

Pulled a bottle at 5 months this past weekend. Has picked up just a tiny bit more color. It’s less sharp on the nose and palate with a little more caramel sweetness.

3F2D14DE-FDB1-4BC7-9A50-733AC1EA23E9.jpeg

• I like it 2

• 4 weeks later...

Bottled the remainder at 6 months. Ended up with 3 so that makes a total of 5 750ml bottles from this barrel. Means I least about 1.25 L but I probably tasted about 250ml of that so lost about 1L to evaporation. I tasted the 5 month vs the six last night. Maybe a barely noticeable difference in color. The nose on the six is a little softer and rounder with just a hint of burnt brown sugar that the five month is lacking. Basically the same differences in the palate and finish as well. Really happy with how it turned out.

8EC5A336-1F92-4051-9EC1-52B48A4FDFD3.jpeg

917A5611-BE2F-4850-8BEF-0A461852C31C.jpeg

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.