What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Fall 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

We did our weekly/bi-weekly shopping today. Along with our normal staples, and a few odds and ends we don’t buy very often, we picked up some Xmas presents too. In the liquor department, the shelf was full of liters of BT. Didn’t need any, but bought one just ‘cause. “Know what I mean Vern?” ?

The back of our van was pretty full, and my wallet is now pretty empty. ?

Biba! Joe

I picked up OF 150th batch #1 and I’m having a bit of buyers remorse. I ended up paying $140 for it which is actually a little under the msrp but it’s a bottle that I told myself I wasn’t interested in when I read the press release for it a few months ago. The store owner grabbed it from the back room and handed it to me as he walked back to the front counter. My fate was sealed at that moment. It’s not like I’m going to hand it back...

BB4F329D-50DC-4542-AEA9-70EC39F5C502.jpeg

• I like it 2

2 minutes ago, webfoots said:

I picked up OF 150th batch #1 and I’m having a bit of buyers remorse. I ended up paying $140 for it which is actually a little under the msrp but it’s a bottle that I told myself I wasn’t interested in when I read the press release for it a few months ago. The store owner grabbed it from the back room and handed it to me as he walked back to the front counter. My fate was sealed at that moment. It’s not like I’m going to hand it back...

I don't believe you will have any remorse once you try it - its really good.

17 minutes ago, webfoots said:

Sounds like both of you may have, or does have, your go-to guy.  This is the type of thing that illustrates what cultivating a relationship with a liquor store means.  ??  

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, Kyjd75 said:

So my next door neighbor asked if I would bourbon shop for her for Christmas bottles for her husband (I did the same last year for her).  I agreed, of course, and today picked up the following:  16 year old Knob Creek private selection from Packages and More (from my stash as a gift); Little Book 4; and Four roses SmB LE 2020.  Hopefully these will do.

5DF9F31F-C57C-486D-BD90-C4D702D322B3_1_201_a.jpeg

Wait, you found a '20 4RSmBLE and it's going to your friend's wife to give as a gift?  You must be a great friend.  You're a better man than me ... unless I found two bottles I admit I'd have to keep that one for myself. ?

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, Kyjd75 said:

So my next door neighbor asked if I would bourbon shop for her for Christmas bottles for her husband (I did the same last year for her).  I agreed, of course, and today picked up the following:  16 year old Knob Creek private selection from Packages and More (from my stash as a gift); Little Book 4; and Four roses SmB LE 2020.  Hopefully these will do.

5DF9F31F-C57C-486D-BD90-C4D702D322B3_1_201_a.jpeg

Let me know when the house on the other side of you goes up for sale.

Also, it did cross my mind.... how exactly is she paying you?

?

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, Kepler said:

Wait, you found a '20 4RSmBLE and it's going to your friend's wife to give as a gift?  You must be a great friend.  You're a better man than me ... unless I found two bottles I admit I'd have to keep that one for myself. ?

Ha!  No kidding.  But I indeed did already have a bottle of the 4RSmBLE 2020 (lottery at 4R) so when I found this bottle available, I grabbed it.  They are very special neighbors, and sadly she is suffering from a terminal illness, so this may be her last Christmas with her family.  I hit my sources to find what I did.

• I like it 13

1 hour ago, Kyjd75 said:

Ha!  No kidding.  But I indeed did already have a bottle of the 4RSmBLE 2020 (lottery at 4R) so when I found this bottle available, I grabbed it.  They are very special neighbors, and sadly she is suffering from a terminal illness, so this may be her last Christmas with her family.  I hit my sources to find what I did.

May you be blessed for your selflessness...... ?

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, Kyjd75 said:

Bless you and your neighbors!

• I like it 2

My wife had to go out shopping to grab a few things we didn’t get yesterday. Even though we bought a liter  of BT yesterday for $27.99, she grabbed a 750 of BT for me today on sale for $21.99. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

6 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

My wife had to go out shopping to grab a few things we didn’t get yesterday. Even though we bought a liter  of BT yesterday for $27.99, she grabbed a 750 of BT for me today on sale for $21.99. ?

Biba! Joe

Keeper!!!!

On 11/24/2020 at 2:28 PM, Bob_Loblaw said:

First bottle I’ve ever gotten of this.  

@WhiskeyBlender Any chance you could give some notes and thoughts on Batch 31?

18D0FB75-738A-47C1-A07C-442103E8022F.jpeg

@Bob_Loblaw, sorry I'm just now seeing this. I'm visiting my sister in FL right now, so unfortunately I don't have access to my own bottle of Cigar Blend batch #31. However, below I have attached my official tasting notes that are posted on the Magnus website. @Radioyada, I'll also attach the official tasting notes that I made up for batch #32. I admittedly get a little carried away in trying to be creative with these kind of tasting notes. In actuality though, batches #31 and 32 are fairly similar, since they both come from the same "coupe mere," or mother blend. 

Another side note: the only real cask finishing note that you will find on Cigar Blend is the Armagnac cask finish. Since I use a very small portion of the regular Jos. Magnus Triple Cask (Oloroso, PX, and Cognac) to make Cigar Blend (these days only 1 to 3% of the entire blend), legally we have to say that it is also finished in Sherry & Cognac. In practice, it is ONLY finished in Armagnac barrels. All of the Bourbon components right now are between 12.5 to 20 years old. 

At any rate, I'm thrilled you Gents managed to snag a bottle. Hope you enjoy! 

Cheers,

Nancy

Cigar Blend Bourbon Batch #31: James Bond

59.63% ABV 

Coming in at a bold 59.63% percent alcohol, Batch #31 is a master of many things, with sophistication, suave and a wealth of exotic flavors in tow. Of the batches in this release, it is the most evenly-balanced bourbon from the coupe, with an intense nose of dried apricots, the almond notes of Spanish turrón, raw clover honey, egg custard with Madagascar vanilla beans, oatmeal cookie dough with raisins, graham crackers, Asian pears, crushed orange Muscat grapes, spicy pipe tobacco and a touch of polished leather. This batch complements a range of cigars and poker games. 

Cigar Blend Bourbon Batch #32: Wing Man

63.47% ABV  

As the second highest proof Cigar Blend Bourbon batch to date, “Wing Man” holds its own next to its bigger brother, Batch #33. With vintage Armagnac showing through, “Wing Man” displays matured aromas of grilled hazelnuts, cocoa nibs, cinnamon stick, Italian tiramisu cake, fig pudding, aromatic pipe tobacco, prunes in Armagnac syrup, devil’s food chocolate cake with chocolate icing, dried autumn leaves, old cellar, muddled mint, apricot jam on heavily-browned toast, home-made fruit cake, rye, Jamaican allspice, nutty “rancio” notes, and candied orange peel, with a very long finish. While sharing some similarities with Batch #33, “Wing Man” soars high with a personality all its own.

• I like it 4

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

4 hours ago, geclbxf said:

Keeper!!!!

Yeah she is. I had to run out this afternoon to pick something up at Menard’s. I also had some bidness to take care of at Binny’s, and a gift card burning a hole in my pocket. I ended up grabbing another MM101. Got home, and my wife just smiled and said she was glad she grabbed the BT this morning instead of an MM101.  ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

Dang, I must live in the wrong part of the state; those prices on BT, and you always come up with Weller, too. The cheapest I can find any BT for right now around here is $27.99/750ml.

Hey, even I get lucky sometimes. The last couple of purchases of Weller’s came from out of state. Sam’s Club for the BT liters. Meijer for the BT 750’s. I grabbed the BT from Sam’s cause they’d been out for a while. I’ll probably get one whenever I’m there as long as they have them in stock. Gonna lay in as much as I can, whenever I can because if all goes well, I’ll be retired by this time next year.?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

Haven’t bought it yet, but just received word I was one of a few customers to win a little contest at my local for the ORVW 10yr. Don’t know the price yet, but they do a regular markup over state wholesale price, so won’t be gouging. Last years was sold for $80, so I expect it will be in that neighborhood.

Are there better bourbons for under $90? Probably. Am I excited to get it nevertheless? Yes. Will I enjoy the heck out of drinking it? Absolutely. 

• I like it 7

On 11/29/2020 at 4:42 PM, WhiskeyBlender said:

@Bob_Loblaw, sorry I'm just now seeing this. I'm visiting my sister in FL right now, so unfortunately I don't have access to my own bottle of Cigar Blend batch #31. However, below I have attached my official tasting notes that are posted on the Magnus website. @Radioyada, I'll also attach the official tasting notes that I made up for batch #32. I admittedly get a little carried away in trying to be creative with these kind of tasting notes. In actuality though, batches #31 and 32 are fairly similar, since they both come from the same "coupe mere," or mother blend. 

Another side note: the only real cask finishing note that you will find on Cigar Blend is the Armagnac cask finish. Since I use a very small portion of the regular Jos. Magnus Triple Cask (Oloroso, PX, and Cognac) to make Cigar Blend (these days only 1 to 3% of the entire blend), legally we have to say that it is also finished in Sherry & Cognac. In practice, it is ONLY finished in Armagnac barrels. All of the Bourbon components right now are between 12.5 to 20 years old. 

At any rate, I'm thrilled you Gents managed to snag a bottle. Hope you enjoy! 

Cheers,

Nancy

@WhiskeyBlenderThank you Nancy! My turn to apologize for the delay. Been battling a nasty bout of the flu since Saturday. Negative for COVID, so that was good but man this bug kicked my ass. 

How many different batches do you generally get out of each “coupe mere?” So the process is to first start with a large blend and then each batch is finished/tweaked Separately?

Very interesting to hear about the Armagnac finish being so dominant. What flavors/notes do you think the small % of Sherry/Cognac finish add to the final product? 

• I like it 3

ETL100 for $699 at a LS... Guy is usually at state min but this shocked me.

EDIT: Did not buy this... Thought I was in the "Liquor Store HUH? moments"...

Edited by jnewberg

3 minutes ago, jnewberg said:

Since this is in the Purchased forum, you bought it?

9 minutes ago, jnewberg said:

that's why it's still there a year after release

Regular 4R single barrel, regular Weller Reserve family size, OTD for $98.  Nothing spectacular but I'm liking it.

Jesus I hit the wrong thread... I thought this was the Huh? thread... Hahahaha... I feel like an idiot for posting that in this thread... My bad...Lol

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.