What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Fall 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

6 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

This is the time of year at that!  How far up in Michigan are you?

We are on the northeast side oF GR? I am struggling to find a local worth working with in the early stages of delving into this bourbon insanity.

This weekend we’ll head up to Petoskey to ski and I already warned the wife I’m hitting a ton of LS along the way! Haha...

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, markandrex said:

Decided to head to Lawrenceberg this evening with some RR SP. Watching George C. Scott  in A Christmas Carol by the the light of the tree with the wife.    A far better life than I deserve.

Sounds like a great night to me!

• I like it 1

After that 1920 rounded my edges, I had a good long conversation with my friend who turned 40 today. 

I’ve  known him longer than anyone outside of my immediate family. He’s been my brother for almost 30 years. I hope that most of you have a friend like that too. 

So in honor of my brother, I thought a pour of the oldest whiskey I own was in order. Heck, I’ve known Mike even before this booze was distilled.

77A6D3EB-0F19-4884-8C13-B712B61CB09A.jpeg

Edited by Rhettro
  • I like it 7

On 12/22/2020 at 5:48 PM, bayouredd said:

Yep, It's The Holidays...

Had my first pour at 1:30 this afternoon. Shameful I know but I'm over it now. Had the Bulleit Blenders Select. While the pour was ok, I'm just not digging this one. I would rather the 10yr by a bunch.  Been bustin' butt in the kitchen prepping for the weekend so I'm just getting to my second pour now. The 4r Sib is hittin'...

That reminds me.  Does anyone have an idea which 4R recipe(s) the Bulleit Blender's Select might contain?

On 12/21/2020 at 10:45 PM, Clueby said:

I'm having the last of the OWA PS I tried last night and it's better tonight. I can tell a noticable difference on palate and nose. 

20201221_194139.jpg

Nice bottle.  But the elf figure in the background is a little bit creepy looking, kind of like puppet in a horror movie. 

• I like it 2

Really enjoyed some Maker's 101.  The wheated bourbon flavors made me want to follow that with another wheater but with some additional age or complexity. So I poured myself some Old Fitz 9 yr BiB, this one is the earlier 9 yr within the decanter series. 

This is a mighty fine bourbon....

• I like it 3

13 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Me thinks I shall join you. The Eagle has landed! ?

Biba! Joe

Probably a pretty popular club we're starting ....

14 hours ago, CPBourbon said:

We are on the northeast side oF GR? I am struggling to find a local worth working with in the early stages of delving into this bourbon insanity.

This weekend we’ll head up to Petoskey to ski and I already warned the wife I’m hitting a ton of LS along the way! Haha...

We live in the Indy area but usually hit Western Michigan and the Upper Lower Peninsula a couple of times a year.  I have a good friend with a house on Bear Lake.  The cruise up US 31 takes us through some cool towns along the Lake.  Occasionally, we will cruise M-22.  We love Traverse Bay and Petoskey.  We rarely head up to Mackinac or the Upper Peninsula anymore .  It is beautiful country but there is so much to do without having to drive so far.  

I haven't had much luck in my bourbon hunts in Michigan.  I found a decent store in South Haven and another decent store in Traverse City.  

16 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

A false start to the holiday weekend.  Boss let us go early.  Unfortunately, I got called back in due to an issue.  I was able to resolve relatively quickly but it took me into the evening.  No matter.  I have now had a few pours and might imbibe in another.  I am just that kind of guy.  I work hard and play hard.  

Started with a small pour of New Riff to finish off the bottle.  Followed by a nice pour of MM101.  Then a decent pour of OF100.  Dare, I enjoy another pour so early in the holiday weekend?  

Too late to influence you but the answer is always yes!

16 hours ago, markandrex said:

Decided to head to Lawrenceberg this evening with some RR SP. Watching George C. Scott  in A Christmas Carol by the the light of the tree with the wife.    A far better life than I deserve.

I love that version of A Christmas Carol! We will be watching it as well.

3 hours ago, Bourbon Boiler said:

Probably a pretty popular club we're starting ....

You are joining the club that Joe is already president of. Just wait until he gets started on the Wellers!

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, CPBourbon said:

I can’t agree with this more! Our oldest is 29 and our youngest is 14. I often say their brains fall out at age 12 and don’t grow back until age 23. But I love to have a drink with my oldest. It truly is one of my most enjoyable things in life. 

There is an inverse to this you might enjoy, a quote from Mark Twain:

“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.”

• I like it 1

Decided to stick to the wheater/rye thing for Christmas. Well, I did the wheater for a couple of days, now it's time for the rye. Been sitting on this for a couple of years, so...

Everyone have the merriest of Christmas and a joyous, healthy New Years!!!

Peace to all...

20201224_134817.thumb.jpg.c0e362c6a0333c77f5b569be46670ef0.jpg

• I like it 6

3 hours ago, flahute said:

Too late to influence you but the answer is always yes!

I knew the answer before I asked the question!  However, I decided to sit out a final pour.  It is a long weekend so I wanted to pace myself.  Plenty of good bourbon to enjoy this weekend.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, bayouredd said:

Decided to stick to the wheater/rye thing for Christmas. Well, I did the wheater for a couple of days, now it's time for the rye. Been sitting on this for a couple of years, so...

Peace to all...

Merry Christmas to you as well.  That looks like a pretty good bottle to enjoy on Christmas.

7 hours ago, bayouredd said:

Peace to all...

4 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Merry Christmas to you as well.  That looks like a pretty good bottle to enjoy on Christmas.

The bottle itself even looks like Christmas!

On 12/23/2020 at 10:15 PM, Kepler said:

Nice bottle.  But the elf figure in the background is a little bit creepy looking, kind of like puppet in a horror movie. 

He is one of a bunch she has spread around the house. I agree they are pretty creepy!!  He wouldn't let my Christmas Eve pour go.

20201224_231052.jpg

20201224_231144.jpg

8 minutes ago, Clueby said:

He is one of a bunch she has spread around the house. I agree they are pretty creepy!!  He wouldn't let my Christmas Eve pour go.

20201224_231052.jpg

20201224_231144.jpg

Oh gosh thats even creepier.  You're gonna give me nightmares on Christmas Eve! 

Christmas Eve and having a pour of the new GTS that me and a local lady split because it’s the only one the we came across around us this year. 
I‘m sure this may be an unpopular opinion but I’m not impressed. Very one sided bourbon this year. Not bad but definitely not worth hunting down another one. 
I’m glad I was able to get a THH this year, now that’s a good one. 
4AE0981A-F9E8-4771-96F3-AB1E53F7E1B8.thumb.jpeg.7fb9b273f487a86fa998575f536d2723.jpeg

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, Clueby said:

12 hours ago, Kepler said:

Oh gosh thats even creepier.  You're gonna give me nightmares on Christmas Eve! 

I’ll stick with my Minions and Peanuts items. ?

Biba! Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.