What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Fall 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Cheers to Friday indeed. I start vacation today.  Knob Creek PS in the glass!

Ok this KC store pick has been maybe my favorite of all KC PS I've owned for the past 5 years or so.  So it's a heavy hitter in my book, a syrupy brown sugar bomb for sure.

But as much as I love this bourbon I just had to pour something a little "special" since it's the start of vacation for me after a long slog through spring and summer.

Col. EH Taylor BP will hit the spot perfectly.  This one is the 128.1 proof from 2017. 

• I like it 4

Dog woke me up at two-thirty in the morning so  I just got back from a night survey of the beach.   Wide awake now,  and sipping a Peerless.   Mellow as silk. 

I haven't bought a second bottle of their rye,  but gladly  re-upped for the bourbon.    It reminds me a lot of Few bourbon,   balanced, corn-forward and drinkable .   And, like Few,  I prefer their  bourbon to their rye.    The big difference is proof -  the Few is session whiskey,  the Peerless is 110 proof, but you'd never know it.  As I said, mellow as silk.   Or, maybe, it's just like the old song, let's see what a little moonlight will do. 

Edited by Jazzhead

6 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

Dog woke me up at two-thirty in the morning so  I just got back from a night survey of the beach.   Wide awake now,  and sipping a Peerless.   Mellow as silk. 

I haven't bought a second bottle of their rye,  but gladly  re-upped for the bourbon.    It reminds me a lot of Few bourbon,   balanced, corn-forward and drinkable .   And, like Few,  I prefer their  bourbon to their rye.    The big difference is proof -  the Few is session whiskey,  the Peerless is 110 proof, but you'd never know it.  As I said, mellow as silk.   Or, maybe, it's just like the old song, let's see what a little moonlight will do. 

We always have a peerless barrel pick on the bar, both bourbon and rye.   I sometimes take newbies there because they are very approachable but layered in flavor.  It is really expensive, but worth it many ways.  I love that fact that you can still buy the rye anywhere.   Hard to send a friend out for the great bottles that are cheaper that we know  will not be on the shelf when they go to buy.   Like old expensive reliable??

Little outdoor Bears and Bourboning. I opted to start with a very nice WTKS pick. Really good, and I wondered aloud why I never buy it. 

Moved onto a RRSiB pick and, oh yeah, that’s why I never buy the KS. At roughly the same price I’m just almost always gravitating to the RR.

1404F78E-C4D4-4DDB-91F1-A5E620A8C991.jpeg

8D5F43BF-7D7F-4E8A-9681-485B7E236A6C.jpeg

• I like it 3

Found these samples while cleaning up and decided to have a bit of Sunday fun.

Brings back fond memories of when I used to be able to order stuff from the U.K. 

They are all a bit different from each other.

Evan Williams Single Barrel 

2003, 2004, & 2008.

E47C85ED-A115-4EFC-825F-8B6DF3337483.jpeg

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 2

Not drinking this weekend as we took road trip to North Carolina to pick up a new puppy.  We have been without a pet since w lost our last beagle  10 years ago.   We all miss having a dog about and we love hunting breeds.  We wanted a small beagle so we looked about for a reputable breeder.  This male should top out  at 15 lbs.  Looking forward to many enjoyable hours  with this one.

image.jpg

• I like it 6

15 minutes ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Not drinking this weekend as we took road trip to North Carolina to pick up a new puppy.  We have been without a pet since w lost our last beagle  10 years ago.   We all miss having a dog about and we love hunting breeds.  We wanted a small beagle so we looked about for a reputable breeder.  This male should top out  at 15 lbs.  Looking forward to many enjoyable hours  with this one.

image.jpg

Awesome.  Dawgs are the best.  

6 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Awesome.  Dawgs are the best.  

They aboslutely are.   If you want to know the meaning of unconditional love, just lock you spouse and your dog in the trunk of your car on a hot Summer day.  Come back in hour and see which one is glad to see you when you open it up.  ?

Although we did have cats for a while and I like those as well.  They are just very different from dogs.  We had them until both my wife and I developed severe allergies to them.  I had someone ask me if I was a cat or dog person, my response was “why do I have to choose?”  

17 minutes ago, StarSurfer55 said:

I had someone ask me if I was a cat or dog person, my response was “why do I have to choose?”  

Exactly.

I grew up with both, and enjoy both, but our current lifestyle/schedule/unfenced yard doesn’t really work for a dog.

So, we live vicariously through my neighbor’s dog and we have these two goofballs...

88AB0D1D-02D4-452D-837E-2E4B3D3A9C57.jpeg

• I like it 3

37 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Exactly.

I grew up with both, and enjoy both, but our current lifestyle/schedule/unfenced yard doesn’t really work for a dog.

So, we live vicariously through my neighbor’s dog and we have these two goofballs...

88AB0D1D-02D4-452D-837E-2E4B3D3A9C57.jpeg

Love your goofballs!!

We have cats too. One of them is a little dog like in that it likes to chase balls.

I grew up with dogs and love them but like you schedule and unfenced yard makes it tough to have one. My wife volunteers at an an animal shelter and gets her dog fix that way.

12 minutes ago, flahute said:

Love your goofballs!!

We have cats too. One of them is a little dog like in that it likes to chase balls.

I grew up with dogs and love them but like you schedule and unfenced yard makes it tough to have one. My wife volunteers at an an animal shelter and gets her dog fix that way.

Yep, we had three tuxedo cats and loved them. Very different personalities for each one.  One thing that I learned was that cat susceptibility to catnip is genetic. Of the three cars that we had, two were of the same genetic stock and got high as kite off catnip. The third one was not affected by catnip. One cat would hold the catnip filled toy between his front paws and stick his nose in it.  We called the toy his doobie. It was hilarious to watch.  

1 minute ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Yep, we had three tuxedo cats and loved them. Very different personalities for each one.  One thing that I learned was that cat susceptibility to catnip is genetic. Of the three cars that we had, two were of the same genetic stock and got high as kite off catnip. The third one was not affected by catnip. One cat would hold the catnip filled toy between his front paws and stick his nose in it.  We called the toy his doobie. It was hilarious to watch.  

Did not know that about the genetics!

Love the cat behavior with it. Our cats have a catnip cigar. It's lost most of its potency at this point but boy was it fun while it lasted.

Yep  for some cat genetic lines, it really lights them up. I also learned that catnip is in the mint family. So I guess for some cats it really is some righteous herb?

• I like it 1

Ended the weekend with an ECBP C919. It was tasty, but I feel like I’ve had better batches, as it doesn’t blow me away in any one dimension. Prior batches I’ve had have had the most incredible texture on top of deep flavor, and this one just isn’t quite hitting that level. I’m now working on a WT101, and i gotta say, it hits the spot!

Drinking some standard 4RSiB and am happy to report that after a couple years of inconsistency that it appears to be back!

This is my second recent bottle - different barrels - and both have been excellent.

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

image.jpg

We are a dog family and have an affinity for beagles.  We had 13" female who lived to 17 years old.  We still miss her.  Her max weight was around 20 pounds.  We bought a 15" female two years ago.  She is around 40 pounds.  She comes from a champion hunting bloodline.  However, we don't hunt her.  She just polices the yard during the day and sleeps on the couch until bedtime.  

Resized_20200927_211528.jpeg

• I like it 1

11 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

We are a dog family and have an affinity for beagles.  We had 13" female who lived to 17 years old.  We still miss her.  Her max weight was around 20 pounds.  We bought a 15" female two years ago.  She is around 40 pounds.  She comes from a champion hunting bloodline.  However, we don't hunt her.  She just polices the yard during the day and sleeps on the couch until bedtime.  

Resized_20200927_211528.jpeg

What a great dog. Looks like a real sweetie. I have always had an affinity for the 13” beagles. There wags a bloodline for 9 inch beagles but it died out in the 1300s. If you see someone offering “ Pocket” beagles,walk away as those dogs are crossed with something else. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.