What Bourbon Did You Pass On Today (Fall 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

6 hours ago, parksmart said:

(though Elisabeth Shue can look me up any time she wants)

If this happens you totally need to spill the details.

22 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

So, you have more than enough in your bunker to last a lifetime. You’re trying to be more picky in what you buy. You’re trying to drink more and buy less. What are the chances other folks here might have a paddle in that same canoe? Row, row, row your boat.............?

Biba! Joe

22 hours ago, Mattk said:

If you two cut back on buying the "what bourbon did you purchase" forum will take a sudden and noticable drop in posts

19 hours ago, parksmart said:

I know, I know.  Preaching to the choir.....

Hey, I’m guilty too. I admit it. However, with retirement a real possibility for me in the not too distant future, at least I have an excuse. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

On 11/29/2020 at 3:48 AM, parksmart said:

Took some willpower not to get at least one......

1DA7FA78-EB0D-4450-AB04-EA26F716F89F.jpeg

I’ve never seen 15 knob creek in the wild. It’s kind of frustrating. 

Went to stock up on food at the grocery store last night. The emperor, I mean governor, might limit our retail spaces to 20% in the coming days. The liquor section at this store has improved during the pandemic. I don’t know if that’s coincidence or getting bottles that would otherwise go to restaurants.  Noticed these behind the case at $50/bottle. Neve heard of them. Quick search on the net says it’s 7 year old juice. Anyway, my scope of purchase is so narrow these days it was an easy pass. 

EEFE3D7F-D2AC-496E-ACC4-9AD69E1E90FC.jpeg

1 hour ago, MM818 said:

Went to stock up on food at the grocery store last night. The emperor, I mean governor, might limit our retail spaces to 20% in the coming days. The liquor section at this store has improved during the pandemic. I don’t know if that’s coincidence or getting bottles that would otherwise go to restaurants.  Noticed these behind the case at $50/bottle. Neve heard of them. Quick search on the net says it’s 7 year old juice. Anyway, my scope of purchase is so narrow these days it was an easy pass. 

I would’ve definitely grabbed those at that price.  

3 hours ago, parksmart said:

I would’ve definitely grabbed those at that price.  

I would have too!   We never even see regular BT on the shelf, LOL

10 hours ago, MM818 said:

The wheated has a really nice mustiness to it.  Both are decent and worth trying, but I would definitely buy another wheated if I could find one.

Neither is really better or worse than their standard counterparts, just different.

I passed MMCS and EW BIB both on sale.  I told myself, I just recently picked up several other items, and have a closet full of whiskey.  The hard part is only a deal for multiple bottles.  Still thinking about it.

3 hours ago, 0895 said:

The wheated has a really nice mustiness to it.  Both are decent and worth trying, but I would definitely buy another wheated if I could find one.

Neither is really better or worse than their standard counterparts, just different.

Hmm interesting. I have not seen one of these.  Does anyone know if this is the standard BT wheated mashbill?

Today I again passed on Still Austin bourbon (the "musician" bottle). I keep getting more and more tempted by this, even though I need another new bourbon like I need a hole in my head.  This usually indicates  I will cave soon, usually within 30 days if history repeats...

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Hmm interesting. I have not seen one of these.  Does anyone know if this is the standard BT wheated mashbill?

No clue on the mashbill, but it does say 7 years aged on the back label.

Honestly I think it tastes more like Elmer T Lee than any Weller.

?‍♂️

Edited by 0895

7 minutes ago, 0895 said:

No clue on the mashbill, but it does say 7 years aged on the back label.

Honestly I think it tastes more like Elmer T Lee than any Weller.

?‍♂️

It gets more interesting by the minute. 7 year age-stated BT wheater at 94 proof  for 50 bucks.  On paper, seems like a decent alternative to OWA and the white label (cypb I think)...

Edited by Kepler
P.S. and if it tastes similar to ETL, that's even better
  • I like it 1

9 hours ago, Kepler said:

It gets more interesting by the minute. 7 year age-stated BT wheater at 94 proof  for 50 bucks.  On paper, seems like a decent alternative to OWA and the white label (cypb I think)...

I wouldn’t say it’s as good as OWA or CYBP.  I wouldn’t even say its a direct substitute for Weller Special reserve.

I would almost describe it as a mixture of ETL and Weller.

It has that musty earthiness that I typically get from ETL, Hancock’s, & Blanton’s, but with a hair more sweetness.

It tastes like everything familiar from BT, mixed together.

• I like it 3

Passed on a store pick of the new Old Forester barrel proof single barrel.  $90 for a non-age stated Old Forester ... No Thanks.  The local noob taters were flipping out for it though. 

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Passed on a store pick of the new Old Forester barrel proof single barrel.  $90 for a non-age stated Old Forester ... No Thanks.  The local noob taters were flipping out for it though. 

I'm going suggest you should have taken a chance. I participated in a pick with my local and it's a dang phenomenal bourbon. I bought a case.

^^^^ what he said.

Probably one of the best things I’ve bought this year.

I do agree it’s priced a bit high though.

the other day I passed on Little Book ch4 @ $175, and those crazy bottles from the Van Winkle family for the low low price of ORVW($700), Lot B($800), and PVW15($1400), I saw a few other high end bottles behing the counter but didn't even bother to ask the price because I already knew they were going to be even higher than the pricing on the tater market.

7 hours ago, 0895 said:

^^^^ what he said.

Have to agree with the last few comments, I picked up a few curbside at the distillery in Louisville and they are incredible.   The price is a shock compared to what we are used to from OF and BF - but I like it much better than birthday.

17 hours ago, Kepler said:

My appreciation of OF products is running neck and neck with WT these days. I would gladly pay the $90 for a barrel proof offering. Wish I could find some around Atlanta. 

15 hours ago, flahute said:

I'm going suggest you should have taken a chance. I participated in a pick with my local and it's a dang phenomenal bourbon. I bought a case.

I just tried barrel samples for a pick as well. They were all I/1 I think and the same age. They were good. They were about 5.5 years though, and I wish they’d give some slightly older options

21 hours ago, flahute said:

18 hours ago, 0895 said:

^^^^ what he said.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

But wondering was yours age stated?  This one was not.  At that price, sorry but I expect an age. I have limits for how far they can push things and for me it crosses the line. I'm sensitive to OF products, almost all of them need more time in the barrel and the only ones that haven't (that I've experienced anyway)  are those that carry a nice 10-12 statement.  I love the birthday. And at a lower price I'm a big fan of 1920, which is still a little youngish but I accept that at $50.

45 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Thanks for the feedback guys.

But wondering was yours age stated?  This one was not.  At that price, sorry but I expect an age. I have limits for how far they can push things and for me it crosses the line. I'm sensitive to OF products, almost all of them need more time in the barrel and the only ones that haven't (that I've experienced anyway)  are those that carry a nice 10-12 statement.  I love the birthday. And at a lower price I'm a big fan of 1920, which is still a little youngish but I accept that at $50.

It was not age stated but because I was on the pick I knew the age and it was less than 5yrs. That's normally too young for me but the OF stuff that ages in the heat cycled warehouses tends to be an exception. Despite the young age this ended up being one of the best bourbons I tasted all year long. Seriously.

• I like it 1

Passed on two different 1792 FP PS bottling.  Just too much stuff already, and would rather spend my money on either dusties or LEs going forwards.

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, parksmart said:

Passed on two different 1792 FP PS bottling.  Just too much stuff already, and would rather spend my money on either dusties or LEs going forwards.

Is it the same as this?

0-E1-ED660-B84-C-462-E-A020-C08-B1574774

Local TW store got 11 cases of it. Not a huge 1792 fan so I passed as well. 

12 hours ago, flahute said:

It was not age stated but because I was on the pick I knew the age and it was less than 5yrs. That's normally too young for me but the OF stuff that ages in the heat cycled warehouses tends to be an exception. Despite the young age this ended up being one of the best bourbons I tasted all year long. Seriously.

Agreed.  When I toured I picked up a SB that was a blend of 6-8 years that was aged in this warehouse and it is unreal, so much coffee and chocolate and punches above its 90 proof.  True, I would love to see an age statement, but at the end of the day, if it's good bourbon, it's worth it.

That being said, I'd be a toss-up for the OFBP.  If I had the cash to blow, I'd pull the trigger but right now I'm on a budget ?.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.