Dewars White Label - Old bottle

Bill in Washington
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have an unopened bottle of Dewars White Label in a metal presentation box.  While there are no dates anywhere, I believe that this has sat untouched for roughly 30 years.  Can anyone suggest what this is worth and where I would go to get it into the hands of someone who would appreciate it?  

IMG_1940.JPG

IMG_1942.JPG

IMG_1943.JPG

The Rules for this site don't allow for sale, resale, trade, etc. of spirits  on the site as it is illegal to do so.  Federal law restricts the sale and and resale of distilled spirits by unlicensed persons.  Most states have similar laws although SOME do allow a person with distilled spirit to resell it to a licensed commercial establishment.   The Federal agency responsible for implementing the applicable Federal laws and regs is the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (AKA the TTB) which is located in the Department of the Treasury.  Its FAQs for distilled spirits discusses this in FAQ S13 (link below).

I suggest you check with Washington state authorities to see whether you can lawfully sell/resell this and to whom.  OR, ask you local liquor store OWNER (not clerk - many clerks don't know their own stock, let alone the "rules").

Good luck.

"S13: If State law provides for the sale of collectors’ bottles of spirits to bars and liquor stores for the purpose of resale, without requiring a state wholesaler permit, what are the Federal law implications?"

LINK - https://www.ttb.gov/distilled-spirits?view=category&id=89

Well, welcome to the site.  We aim to please!  Or at least entertain.B)  While you are here, spend some time browsing through the old topics and the history.  LOTS of good info.  Several of us have discovered "dusty" versions of bourbon, other American whiskey, and "other" whiskies over the years.  Many of us just drank them, usually with friends but not always.  There was that "fifth" of Old Crow (my father's favorite as long as he had Tab to mix with it (BLEEAHH!) ) that my brother found in the old homestead and drank all by himself.

There's even a section on scotches if that's your preference although most of us are pretty non-picky late at night about what we sip on.

Enjoy and feel free to ask questions if you have them..

Edited by Harry in WashDC
added an "l" to "fee" so it says "feel"

It looks like the label says 86 proof.  At some point it changed to 80.

You could contact the company too see if they could provide more information.  The metal box will also help date it.

This was not rare or expensive whisky to begin with.  It's interesting, but probably not worth more than an average bottle of blended Scotch today.  Modern version of Dewar's can be had under $20.

It would make a cool gift to the right person, or open it.

On 10/1/2020 at 9:31 AM, PaulO said:

This was not rare or expensive whisky to begin with.  It's interesting, but probably not worth more than an average bottle of blended Scotch today.  Modern version of Dewar's can be had under $20.

It would make a cool gift to the right person, or open it.

This. Harry covered the important stuff.

Not likely to be worth very much. If you found it or paid a small amount for it or were gifted it then open it and try it. Or if you don’t want it give it to a friend who does like Scotch. They will no doubt thank you and appreciate it. 

if you did happen to pay a lot for it then, well, we all make mistakes...

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.