What’s on the menu????

fishnbowljoe

It got pretty chilly this week, so I decided to make the seasons first batch of chili. Clever huh? ?  In trying to be a little more health conscious, I used ground turkey. I also used tomatoes that our daughter in law canned from her garden, instead of tomato sauce and diced tomatoes. It turned out pretty darned good if I do say so myself. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

I took brats out of the freezer to thaw in the fridge.  They should be cooked and done by 4:25 PM in time for Colts vs. Bears.  I have Oktoberfest items for sides too.

I love to make chili.  I start a day ahead, soaking dried beans, then cook in crock pot, adding everything else in stages after the beans are soft. ? 

• I like it 2

I was planning on making borscht today. Which I already double meat for the wife. However she asked for more meat in the recipe again today. I'm not even sure if you can call it borscht anymore. 10x meat means half a ham, and two kielbasa with some beets. We are having this artery clogging abomination of awesome alongside some pierogies. I'm having a modest pour of WT 80 while cooking.

IMG_20201004_164722.jpg

I almost made chili, but decided on ham and bean soup instead. Great Northern beans, ham cubes, water, and a big ham hock as a flavor enhancer. 6 hours in the slow cooker...done!!

• I like it 5

44 minutes ago, geclbxf said:

looks great!   Are those homemade pierogi?

I wish, but no, I didn't have that kind of time. Just the generic ones fried in butter.

4 hours ago, Mattk said:

I wish, but no, I didn't have that kind of time. Just the generic ones fried in butter.

well they look great!   Hope you enjoyed

• I like it 1

On 10/5/2020 at 5:36 AM, Phil T said:

I almost made chili, but decided on ham and bean soup instead. Great Northern beans, ham cubes, water, and a big ham hock as a flavor enhancer. 6 hours in the slow cooker...done!!

One of my favorite meals i can feed 4 people on for 2 meals x 3 days and still have scraps for 5 dollars.

• I like it 1

We've been doing 3 Hello Fresh meals a week.  Its cut way down on our grocery store visits and its been good for portion control.  It's not the cheapest option but its not terrible.  With shipping it works out to about $10 per plate. The quality of the food and freshness has been pretty good.  Its nice making something with some unique ingredients (fig jam for example) that you don't have to buy an entire bottle of something to try.  It comes with everything you need except salt, pepper, and butter and oil if required. I got our first week free with a promo and got a 2nd week free when the delivery was 24 hours late.

This week's dinners are Bayou-Style Crispy Tilapia with Remoulade, Paprika Potato Wedges, and Mixed Greens, Honey-Butter BBQ Pork Cutlets with Mashed Sweet Potatoes, and Lemony Green Beans, and Crispy Parmesan Chicken with Garlic Herb Couscous and Lemon Roasted Carrots.

If anyone is interested in trying it I can send you a discount code.

Lunch at the Park to watch Braves on Jumbotron.  It’s been too long since having a delicious dog and a beer at the park, even if the game really isn’t here.  It was still great.  ?

971C0422-C328-4A91-A491-BD3D85627F0A.jpeg

• I like it 4

• 3 weeks later...

Mrssmokinjoe whipped up some Stone ground grits, with butter, salt, and pepper.  Topped with a fried egg, and a couple pieces of bacon on the side for brunch.  ?

This is just what I need to get going on moving and stacking that cord of wood...

...or, a nap...  ?

D5998A76-ED4F-44B0-9440-2C37E0786F40.jpeg

• I like it 3

It was a cold and rainy fall day here in Maryland. So I got started sipping early, and often I'll admit. On this episode of drunk cooking, "guinness braised tenderloin", brought to you by Rittenhouse. I drunk better when cook.

IMG_20201025_172551.jpg

• I like it 2

No trick or treating here, so my son and his family came over today. Lunch was Kentucky Legend ham, scalloped potatoes, and green beans. Supper was white chicken chili from the crockpot. Chocolate cake for desert.

With no trick or treating, the grandkids get to go home with a boatload of candy. That’s with us keeping  a bunch at our house for ‘em.  ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

• 1 month later...

This evenings supper is baked potatoes and Lima beans, alongside pork chops that were slow cooked  in the crockpot with Lowry’s Honey Bourbon marinade. Mmmmm, mmmmm good! ???

Biba! Joe

I'm smoking a side of salmon this afternoon to be accompanied by loaded baked potatoes and sauteed asparagus.

• I like it 2

23 hours ago, BigRich said:

I'm smoking a side of salmon this afternoon to be accompanied by loaded baked potatoes and sauteed asparagus.

That's a Seattle staple right there.

On 12/19/2020 at 1:16 PM, flahute said:

I'm slowly breaking in a new grill/smoker so I'm all over the place the last month.  Hot dogs, pork tenderloin, salmon, etc.  I'm going to smoke my rib roast this year for Christmas instead of roasting it.  I've got high hopes for that one. 

• I like it 2

12 minutes ago, BigRich said:

I'm slowly breaking in a new grill/smoker so I'm all over the place the last month.  Hot dogs, pork tenderloin, salmon, etc.  I'm going to smoke my rib roast this year for Christmas instead of roasting it.  I've got high hopes for that one. 

Christmas dinner in the BigRich household looks to be epic this year.

• I like it 1

On 12/18/2020 at 12:57 PM, BigRich said:

On 12/19/2020 at 12:16 PM, flahute said:

Just smoked about 10 pounds (8 pieces) of Scottish Salmon bellies on Sunday.  Early impressions are that it came out FANTASTIC!  5 will be delivered as Christmas gifts for family we will not see.  2 for us during the week (first one already gone) and last one will be put on of Christmas Eve with my BIL.  

I've done several batches of this recipe and when I have the freedom to tend to the smoker all day really does turn out great.  I overbought and had to put two other pieces in the oven as they were cured and pellicle formed.  Similar texture, but the flavors are just not there.  Will probably mix with some cream cheese, greek yogurt, lemon juice and green onions and make a simple spread out of those.  

• I like it 2

My wife has been making hot cocoa fudge, and her infamous mini chocolate cheesecake cakes for us to have for Christmas. I get to lick the bowls and be taste tester. MM in my glass tonight. I must say that it pares rather well with the fudge and cheese cakes. ??

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Both of my boys live away (Louisville & Atlanta) and couldn’t make it home for Thanksgiving.  They both were tested ( their choice) and came home for Christmas.  Lat night was a full Thanksgiving dinner and tonight was Turkey parole and taquitos.  Dang my wife can cook!  May the ghost of Christmas present visit you all this season.

• I like it 3

Christmas Eve is typically either Chinese or seafood for dinner.  This year we opted for a “low country boil”. I ran out this morning and grabbed 5 lbs of snow crab, 5 lbs of shrimp, 2.5 lbs of andouille, 6 ears of corn and fingerling potatoes.  Add some clam juice, bay leaves, a few lemons and a lot of Old Bay and I might be drooling on my tablet.  

• I like it 2