What’s on the menu????

fishnbowljoe

This year we decided to support a couple restaurants that are shut down to indoor dining but who were offering pre packaged Christmas meals.

For Christmas Eve we had a prime rib and stuffing dinner from the restaurant that's part of the downtown athletic club I belong to.

Today we are a having a lasagna dinner from one of our favorite local Italian places. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, flahute said:

This year we decided to support a couple restaurants that are shut down to indoor dining but who were offering pre packaged Christmas meals.

For Christmas Eve we had a prime rib and stuffing dinner from the restaurant that's part of the downtown athletic club I belong to.

Today we are a having a lasagna dinner from one of our favorite local Italian places. 

THIS, is righteous Christmas spirit!!

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, flahute said:

My man!!!!!

Well done.

Looks medium rare to me. :lol:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

It was a sunny 34° today. But the wind just cut through me.  It's gonna be a Skyline 5 way and FR OBSV kind of evening. 

5 hours ago, Phil T said:

It was a sunny 34° today. But the wind just cut through me.  It's gonna be a Skyline 5 way and FR OBSV kind of evening. 

Oh hell yes to the Skyline.

It’s been a very mild winter so far, with virtually no snow. Until two nights ago. Cold, windy and we received between 6” and  7” of snow. That was all the excuse I needed to make my first batch of chili for the season today.😁 

Bib! Joe

• I like it 1

Cold boiled shrimp to start with some St. Elmo’s cocktail sauce.  The  main course will be some ribeyes that have been seasoning for a week with a local rub, baked potatoes and roasted brussel sprouts.  

• I like it 2

Being a Southerner, I need to have Black-eyed peas on New Years Day.  So I fix a Hoppin John evey year.  Basically it is red beans and rice with Black-eyed peas substituted for the red beans.    My hack is that I use  a good Andouille sausage in mine (my preference is Savoie's).  Also made cast iron skillet cornbread (and yes, I prefer yellow corn meal).  We could debate the merits of yellow vs white corn meal but the moderator would have to move this to the religion thread.

FEAC27C8-9291-4BA9-B784-B852D24B34C3_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.06d613624671c2b4460f791e621f02db.jpeg

• I like it 6

Smoked a "Poor Man's" brisket,  beans and bread.  I doctored up a can of beans, and left it under the roast, to catch the drippings. This was also my first attempt at "made from scratch" bread, which turned out really, really good.

20210102_190347.jpg

20210102_182917.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 5

On 12/31/2020 at 4:19 PM, markandrex said:

Cold boiled shrimp to start with some St. Elmo’s cocktail sauce.  The  main course will be some ribeyes that have been seasoning for a week with a local rub, baked potatoes and roasted brussel sprouts.  

I’ve heard about that cocktail sauce. 🥵 It’s sad that even though I was born and raised in Indianapolis, I never ate at  the famous St. Elmo’s Steakhouse. 😕

Biba! Joe

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I’ve heard about that cocktail sauce. 🥵 It’s sad that even though I was born and raised in Indianapolis, I never ate at  the famous St. Elmo’s Steakhouse. 😕

Biba! Joe

I found it at Meijer if you happen to have one locally.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

I have a friend with a very large garden. I get fresh horseradish from her all the time. But, if I can't,  I get it from Meijer. It is a brown root (incase you wonder, horseradish  is a root vegetable) in the produce section,  usually right by the ginger root. Peel the root like you would a potato and then run it through the food processor.  But watch out, it will rip your eyes out!! So good!! 

The fresh horseradish is the key to St. Elmo's legendary cocktail sauce.

Resized_20200718_092746.jpeg

Edited by Phil T
  • I like it 2

On 1/2/2021 at 11:58 AM, StarSurfer55 said:

Being a Southerner, I need to have Black-eyed peas on New Years Day.  So I fix a Hoppin John evey year.  Basically it is red beans and rice with Black-eyed peas substituted for the red beans.    My hack is that I use  a good Andouille sausage in mine (my preference is Savoie's).  Also made cast iron skillet cornbread (and yes, I prefer yellow corn meal).  We could debate the merits of yellow vs white corn meal but the moderator would have to move this to the religion thread.

FEAC27C8-9291-4BA9-B784-B852D24B34C3_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.06d613624671c2b4460f791e621f02db.jpeg

I have to admit, the food threads/posts are my favorite of any on SB.com...

The regional favorites/delicacies that are made and posted about, always fascinates me. I had never heard of a Hoppin John until Jeff posted this.  Google is my friend.  Sounds delicious!! Our traditional New Years Day meal is pork and kraut on a bed of mashed potatoes.  Years ago I would use pork loin, but lately I have been using smoked sausage. Leftovers last about 1 day....GONE!!!

And, I always like seeing that people use their cast iron cookware. I have quite the collection of Favorite cast iron and use it often.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Phil T said:

The regional favorites/delicacies that are made and posted about, always fascinates me. I had never heard of a Hoppin John until Jeff posted this.  Google is my friend.  Sounds delicious!! Our traditional New Years Day meal is pork and kraut on a bed of mashed potatoes.  Years ago I would use pork loin, but lately I have been using smoked sausage. Leftovers last about 1 day....GONE!!!

And, I always like seeing that people use their cast iron cookware. I have quite the collection of Favorite cast iron and use it often.

Food threads are always a winner in my book.   I love to cook and have gotten some great ideas over the years from these types of threads.

We would be lost without our cast iron....

• I like it 1

On 1/5/2021 at 2:25 AM, Phil T said:

PhilT:

Glad you like the recipe.  The other tradition that are common in the South for NYD is to eat Cabbage (which you are covering with the Kraut).  The old phrase was Cabbage for money and Black eyed peas for health in the New Year.  Frankly, it has worked fairly well for me over the years.  I have found that adding a spicy and smokey sausage really adds to it.  As a chef friend said to me once:"when you cook, you follow a  recipe.  When you bake, you follow a formula."    I think this sums it up pretty well as you can modify a recipe fo fit your taste.  I encourage everyone to explore their recipes and find that modifications that make the disk work for them.

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

PhilT:

Glad you like the recipe.  The other tradition that are common in the South for NYD is to eat Cabbage (which you are covering with the Kraut).  The old phrase was Cabbage for money and Black eyed peas for health in the New Year.  Frankly, it has worked fairly well for me over the years.  I have found that adding a spicy and smokey sausage really adds to it.  As a chef friend said to me once:"when you cook, you follow a  recipe.  When you bake, you follow a formula."    I think this sums it up pretty well as you can modify a recipe fo fit your taste.  I encourage everyone to explore their recipes and find that modifications that make the disk work for them.

More sausage helps everything.

• I like it 1

I knew a young lady from Oaxaca Mexico.  She told me there was one American food she tried, and really liked.  I asked, what was that?  She said "biscuits and gravy". 🙂

• I like it 4

My Primo Grill takes about 45 min to prep. No worries when it's bourbon o'clock...

ribeye.thumb.jpg.ef0eef518a0bb1f79abb8c5022a098a9.jpg

Ribeyes seared beautifully, Publix assembled the kabobs/I seasoned them with olive oil, salt & pepper, added over easy eggs & fries and go!!!

• I like it 5

Back home after a long week, home cooked comfort food is on the menu. I put together beef stew in the slow cooker. It should be ready by 6:00 pm which will give me plenty of time to make the mashed potatoes. Seems like mashed go with just about all our winter comfort foods!

• I like it 1