What’s on the menu????

fishnbowljoe

Just thought I'd share a trick I developed a few years back. When doing a duck confit stuffed mushroom, it helps to cook them in a muffin tin. Otherwise the mushrooms have a tendency to flatten, and filling gets spilled. With the muffin tray they sink into the cups and actually become an even tighter vessel for the duck, caramelized veggies, and cheese.

IMG_20210214_164344.jpg

• I like it 2

On 2/14/2021 at 7:00 PM, Mattk said:

And finished product

IMG_20210214_184645.jpg

IMG_20210214_184756.jpg

Okay, this is just more beautifuller than my food. Beautifuller may not be a real word but in this case; Yep it is!!! Major Kudos!!! 😋

• I like it 1

On 2/13/2021 at 9:59 PM, MM818 said:

Smoked the chicken breasts at low heat to get the smoke flavor and then finish in the convection oven so the skin is enjoyable. Roasted the vegetables. Looking forward to getting back to normal so the highlight of my weekend isn’t meal preparation. 

1030B244-E6BE-44EC-A3FB-F63F55593DBA.jpeg

Prep is rough, but the actual cooking is a highlight of my weekends!!!

And you, my friend, nailed it!!!

Loving the photos guys, thought I would chip in. 

Tonight I will be cooking Toad In The Hole, a traditional British dish. Pork sausages cooked in a crispy batter (think Yorkshire Pudding if you've ever had/seen that) served with some veg (sautéed cabbage, broccoli, peas) and smothered in a gravy (I keep gravy from previous roast dinners, this one was a lamb). 

Here's a previous effort. Of course I will be having this with a dark beer and probably something stronger after. 

image.thumb.png.0aa7b7d9515a55ab904a0a590a0c01c8.png

• I like it 4

53 minutes ago, beasled said:

Loving the photos guys, thought I would chip in. 

Tonight I will be cooking Toad In The Hole, a traditional British dish. Pork sausages cooked in a crispy batter (think Yorkshire Pudding if you've ever had/seen that) served with some veg (sautéed cabbage, broccoli, peas) and smothered in a gravy (I keep gravy from previous roast dinners, this one was a lamb). 

Here's a previous effort. Of course I will be having this with a dark beer and probably something stronger after. 

image.thumb.png.0aa7b7d9515a55ab904a0a590a0c01c8.png

Dang, don’t that look good!

• I like it 1

17 minutes ago, troyce said:

looks great except for the damn peas!

Prefer “goober peas” do we? :huh:

Biba! Joe

My son and grandkids are coming over tomorrow. My chili is on the menu for lunch. 😋 Mmmmm boy!  ;)

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, beasled said:

Not a fan eh?!

I personally like the pea purée you guys slide in there with the fish n chips. 

46 minutes ago, MM818 said:

I personally like the pea purée you guys slide in there with the fish n chips. 

Mushy peas we call that. Good stuff! 

Edited by beasled
  • I like it 1

You know, I hate those peas on this side of the pond but I really quite enjoy them

on the British Isles.  Whole different animal.  Just like chocolate.

I love making pizza but I stink at stretching dough. I also need a few hundred degrees out of my oven. I’m not sure I got the pizza stone hot enough. Prosciutto and arugula. Washed down with some Chianti. 

9040EA52-A87C-482B-88C7-E7CAD1F5A780.jpeg

2 hours ago, MM818 said:

I love making pizza but I stink at stretching dough. I also need a few hundred degrees out of my oven. I’m not sure I got the pizza stone hot enough. Prosciutto and arugula. Washed down with some Chianti. 

That’s not liver and fava beans I see on there, is it?  🤪

On 2/21/2021 at 1:43 AM, MM818 said:

Two thoughts from me.. first, maybe try rolling the dough using a rolling pin, at least to start with, I'm terrible at stretching dough but find I can get a decent-ish shape from it.

Second, have you thought about the frying pan/skillet method? So you roll out the dough, put the base into a pan, add the toppings, then heat the base from below (on a hob/grill) on a medium-high heat (at least until the base starts to brown), then cooking the top under the broiler on full heat (broiler would be what us Brits call the grill, but let's not get into that...). 

A light brushing of oil in the pan helps the base cook and not stick too much, I find.

Here's my most recent effort, done using a frying pan/skillet. 

image.thumb.png.acc10d53eab6f4cdb4d43346c0b3102f.png

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, beasled said:

Two thoughts from me.. first, maybe try rolling the dough using a rolling pin, at least to start with, I'm terrible at stretching dough but find I can get a decent-ish shape from it.

Second, have you thought about the frying pan/skillet method? So you roll out the dough, put the base into a pan, add the toppings, then heat the base from below (on a hob/grill) on a medium-high heat (at least until the base starts to brown), then cooking the top under the broiler on full heat (broiler would be what us Brits call the grill, but let's not get into that...). 

A light brushing of oil in the pan helps the base cook and not stick too much, I find.

Here's my most recent effort, done using a frying pan/skillet. 

image.thumb.png.acc10d53eab6f4cdb4d43346c0b3102f.png

That’s a good looking pie!

I try not to use a pin because everywhere I read advises against it. 

I’m curious about the dough you’re using. I’m working through a bag of King Arthur.  I want to try 00 flour or possibly mix 00 w KA. If I understand correctly I don’t have the heat available that 00 flour needs. 

My oven can get to about 525 degrees.  If I let the stone preheat for about an hour I can get the char on the bottom & a little on the sides. 

I also have a pizza crisper but I haven’t used it yet. I’m also looking at outdoor portable pizza ovens but I don’t know if I need to go there for this little hobby. 

Basically, I just need to get back to Naples. 

4 hours ago, MM818 said:

That’s a good looking pie!

I try not to use a pin because everywhere I read advises against it. 

I’m curious about the dough you’re using. I’m working through a bag of King Arthur.  I want to try 00 flour or possibly mix 00 w KA. If I understand correctly I don’t have the heat available that 00 flour needs. 

My oven can get to about 525 degrees.  If I let the stone preheat for about an hour I can get the char on the bottom & a little on the sides. 

I also have a pizza crisper but I haven’t used it yet. I’m also looking at outdoor portable pizza ovens but I don’t know if I need to go there for this little hobby. 

Basically, I just need to get back to Naples. 

I use the pin to get me started with the shape and then stretch. It might be a no-no in Italy but until I learn I'm just glad it comes out round. 

I use '00' flour but have had decent enough results just with strong white flour. 

In terms of temp my oven doesn't go above 485 so it's not really good enough, hence the pan method. 

Once the weather improves I will be firing up the bbq as last year I picked up a pizza ring which converts the Weber into an oven, and last time the temps were 900+ easily. Eager to try out my latest dough with it!

image.png

Edited by beasled
  • I like it 1

On 2/20/2021 at 7:37 AM, beasled said:

Not a fan eh?!

I love most peas and beans.  Could eat them every day , but green peas just don't appeal to me.

• I like it 1

My daughter asked for sushi today, and I didn't feel like driving the whole way to a sushi spot. So I hit up an local asian market instead. Did us up three different types of salmon rolls.

IMG_20210226_200856.jpg

• I like it 5

On 2/23/2021 at 5:05 AM, beasled said:

I use the pin to get me started with the shape and then stretch. It might be a no-no in Italy but until I learn I'm just glad it comes out round. 

I use '00' flour but have had decent enough results just with strong white flour. 

In terms of temp my oven doesn't go above 485 so it's not really good enough, hence the pan method. 

Once the weather improves I will be firing up the bbq as last year I picked up a pizza ring which converts the Weber into an oven, and last time the temps were 900+ easily. Eager to try out my latest dough with it!

image.png

I have been looking at outdoor pizza ovens.  Then you post a picture of this. I had no idea something like this existed. What a brilliant idea!!

On 2/26/2021 at 7:47 PM, Mattk said:

My daughter asked for sushi today, and I didn't feel like driving the whole way to a sushi spot. So I hit up an local asian market instead. Did us up three different types of salmon rolls.

IMG_20210226_200856.jpg

This is Awesome! I’ve been practicing rolling as well recently and it’s been a bit hit thus far. 

Baltimore Pit Beef. First time both making and eating. Used eye of round rubbed overnight. Smoked to 110 (90 min) then finished on grill to 122ish. Pulled and rested hitting a high of 131 IT. 

Piled onto a roll with thinly sliced onions and a generous amount of Tiger sauce (Mayo, horseradish, lemon juice, minced garlic) 

Both wife and mother were a tad dubious about just a “roast beef sandwich” with the wife commenting that she would prefer BBQ sauce. Two bites in “you know, this is actually pretty good” and by halfway through were singing it’s praises. Unfortunately, I didn’t get a picture of the sandwiches before everyone dug in! 

B1E4D491-1BA1-47C9-B850-E12B97383371.jpeg

• I like it 4

3 hours ago, Phil T said:

I have been looking at outdoor pizza ovens.  Then you post a picture of this. I had no idea something like this existed. What a brilliant idea!!

Indeed it is. It works very well too!