What’s on the menu????

fishnbowljoe

4 hours ago, MM818 said:

You could tell that the Open Championship was played in some heat. 

leeks…over here they’re mainly used in stocks or immersion blended into a soup. At least for me. Good to see them get some grill time! 

I watched The Open, congrats to Morikawa! Our temp gage hit 42c in the sun, so it must have been hot to play in. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I made a pot of gumbo in the slow cooker.  The meat I used was a combination of grilled chicken breast and andouille smoked pork sausage. 😊

• I like it 2

LOL, great minds....

Made a big batch of gumbo as well.  I used andouille, chicken tenders, and leftover pulled pork from my last smoked boston butt.  So far, it has been one of my best gumbo efforts.  Easy dinner when I come home from work, and all I can think about is the first drink of Happy Hour.  Usually, that story ends with no real dinner and just some snacks and another drink.  Not this week.  Of course, the heat index this week is above 105dgf, so not the best time for the gumbo...😓

• I like it 3

The slow cooker/crock pot can be a great option on those hot days - does not heat up the house. 

• I like it 2

Way too hot outside today, had to grill something quick and simple.

Cheeseburgers, grilled onions, thick cut bacon, toasted brioche buns.

34BE36DA-8E43-4CE0-B697-6452BBA7F3FA.thumb.jpeg.e4cb585f673fdfe633371067dccd7e75.jpeg930FB4F6-1051-4ED5-89DE-6046E38F23CB.thumb.jpeg.c61e67d40a7b7ce93bda086fe7c35268.jpeg

• I like it 4

Made another round of corned beef brisket. Also made some sourdough bread, so it seemed rude not to combine the two. 

20210813_133207.thumb.jpg.0e52dd54db34f345e508587d5347a975.jpg

• I like it 7

On 8/13/2021 at 7:48 AM, beasled said:

Made another round of corned beef brisket. Also made some sourdough bread, so it seemed rude not to combine the two. 

Wow! Homemade sourdough!! Jealous. And looks great!

• I like it 1

On 8/13/2021 at 8:48 AM, beasled said:

Winner, winner, corned beef dinner (sandwich)!!!

• I like it 1

On 8/13/2021 at 8:48 AM, beasled said:

Oh, yum!

• I like it 1

The Anaheim’s are everywhere right now. 

Roast them on the grill. Pull them and enclose them in a container to let steam. Peel the skin, cut out the membrane and remove seeds, load with jack cheese. A little egg bath and flour. Light fry in the pan. Delicious and the house smells awesome. 

F36C55EB-0EE4-476D-82B2-F4C9BDC841C0.jpeg

• I like it 7

Some strip steaks, baked potatoes,  and broiled green beans. These baked pots were crazy good. I'm in a food coma. No bourbon but I had some Founder's Highball Drifter (bourbon barrel aged) while grilling and some Crios Tannat wine with dinner. It's an Argentinian wine...softer than a malbec. Not my thing but Mrs. Clueby liked it.

20210822_154059.jpg

20210822_170438.jpg

• I like it 4

• 3 weeks later...

Sea bass and veggies on the Weber. 

The lemon stopped the sea bass from sticking to the grill. Genius! 

20210907_181504.jpg

20210907_184133.jpg

• I like it 5

• 1 month later...

I made a big pot of borsch in the crock pot.  Prepping the beets is a lot of work.  Then there were all the other vegetables to cut up.  Nothing came from a can, but organic beef broth came from a carton. 

My dad has been a little under the weather.  I plan to take him some today or tomorrow.

This is what his mother used to make.  I think I nailed it, deep red color and all.

As a child, I was afraid of of it.  My grandmother proudly showed me tubs of dirt in their basement filled with the beets they grew, being stored for the winter.  

Now, I know better.  Beets are supposed to be some kind of super food. 🥣

• I like it 1

This weekend I will be making a Carbonnade a la Flammande.  I really like Carbonnades.  It is a Belgian Beef Stew heavy with onion and garlic and uses a beer (I use a Guinness) in the recipe.  I don't care for Irish stews as I detest the texture of cooked carrots  (it is odd that it is texture not taste that is sometimes off putting).  I will take pics and post later.

Frankly, I like the one pot recipes as they are usually hearty and easy to make (i often refer to them as peasant food).  I tend to migrate to chilis, gumbos, and have even made a Brazilian dish called Waggoner's Rice (heavy with bell pepper and black pepper).

• I like it 4

Tonight's menu is coq au vin avec pomme puree et haricot verts.  It will be eaten with copious about of Burgundy wine tonight.  

2 hours ago, BigRich said:

Tonight's menu is coq au vin avec pomme puree et haricot verts.  It will be eaten with copious about of Burgundy wine tonight.  

And reading French literature, yes?

D0147D29-1F81-486C-8C6D-7A1EEDB5FCE4.jpeg

• I like it 7

14 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

This weekend I will be making a Carbonnade a la Flammande.  I really like Carbonnades.  It is a Belgian Beef Stew heavy with onion and garlic and uses a beer (I use a Guinness) in the recipe.  I don't care for Irish stews as I detest the texture of cooked carrots  (it is odd that it is texture not taste that is sometimes off putting).  I will take pics and post later.

Frankly, I like the one pot recipes as they are usually hearty and easy to make (i often refer to them as peasant food).  I tend to migrate to chilis, gumbos, and have even made a Brazilian dish called Waggoner's Rice (heavy with bell pepper and black pepper).

I love the crock pot.  My favorite is a Hamilton Beach with three different sizes of ceramic crock that lift out.  A number of years ago, I switched over to always using dried beans for chili or other bean recipes.

As to the Irish Stew, I've read that in Ireland, a lot of people do not add carrot, some do.

And, I have a huge collection of cook books.

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

For what it’s worth, it was about damn perfect last night.  I finished the evening with some cognac and went to bed a happy man.

• I like it 1

On 10/15/2021 at 5:52 PM, smokinjoe said:

Brings back memories of middle school.  A friend was all shook up about some magazine his neighbor showed him.  He pronounced it like "oy".  🤣

• I like it 1

Got my Carbonnade made this weekend.  Turned out very good.  I am reminded by a Belgian friend that when he was in college and running low on money he could always get Carbonnade at the local pub for  very little money.  Typically, it would be served over Fried potatoes (kinda a Belgian version of Poutaine)IMG_1809.thumb.jpeg.55817936a699961b8976ea82914bdd17.jpeg

• I like it 3

12 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Got my Carbonnade made this weekend.  Turned out very good.  I am reminded by a Belgian friend that when he was in college and running low on money he could always get Carbonnade at the local pub for  very little money.  Typically, it would be served over Fried potatoes (kinda a Belgian version of Poutaine)

That looks great. When I saw your first post I had to Google what it was!

I took leftover smoked pot roast and added some onions and peppers and made a gravy with some porter.  About to have that over some brown rice.

20211019_193337.jpg

16 hours ago, Clueby said:

That looks great. When I saw your first post I had to Google what it was!

I took leftover smoked pot roast and added some onions and peppers and made a gravy with some porter.  About to have that over some brown rice.

20211019_193337.jpg

If you search on this thread, I have posted the recipe that I use, but yours turned to out good.  I have tried other beers but have found stouts and porters to work best.  One tip - Do not use an IPA, the hops will give it a piney taste.

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

If you search on this thread, I have posted the recipe that I use, but yours turned to out good.  I have tried other beers but have found stouts and porters to work best.  One tip - Do not use an IPA, the hops will give it a piney taste.

Absolutely agree.  IPAs and anything with Cascade hops will taste like pine.  I stick to porters unless my wife insists on something else.