What’s on the menu????

fishnbowljoe

I kinda did the eggs more than I like, but still soft enough to be good.  Grits, bacon, and fried eggs with butter salt and cracked pepper, are hard to beat!

9908B61D-12AD-4089-8D4C-FA3430700304.jpeg

• I like it 5

14 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I kinda did the eggs more than I like, but still soft enough to be good.  Grits, bacon, and fried eggs with butter salt and cracked pepper, are hard to beat!

Looks awesome!! And on a Christmas plate to boot.

Prost!!  Phil 

14 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Drooooooolll............

22 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Simplistically Perfect!!!   😋

I may be unlucky or in a bad area for finding well priced whiskey, but I am definitely sometimes lucky to find well priced beef. Bought a 22.47 lb full rib roast today, choice, 7 bones, in cryovac, on sale for $89 or about $4/lb. The 5 middle ribs will be Christmas dinner, the 2 outer ribs I’ll slice off to make 2 ribeye steaks and freeze. 
4DE646D7-341E-420F-84C0-52C0AF476B43.thumb.jpeg.c4c46697db7f0597f84cc8ceec9fdd3c.jpeg

18 hours ago, Kjbarth said:

I may be unlucky or in a bad area for finding well priced whiskey, but I am definitely sometimes lucky to find well priced beef. Bought a 22.47 lb full rib roast today, choice, 7 bones, in cryovac, on sale for $89 or about $4/lb. The 5 middle ribs will be Christmas dinner, the 2 outer ribs I’ll slice off to make 2 ribeye steaks and freeze. 
4DE646D7-341E-420F-84C0-52C0AF476B43.thumb.jpeg.c4c46697db7f0597f84cc8ceec9fdd3c.jpeg

Post Results when you can. Sounds Fab!!!

19 hours ago, Kjbarth said:

Secondary on that is like $500.

• I like it 1

Kitchen Duties began yesterday...

Made my passed down from Sicilian Grandma and probably beyond, spaghetti sauce. Meatballs later in the week.

Today, made my roux for Christmas gumbo and have the base with seasoning sausage, onion, bellpepper & okra, boiling on the stovetop. Christmas Eve will find chicken, sausage, shrimp & crab, added for the masses.

Having the FAE-01 in eggnog for moral support...

• I like it 3

Now that our deck is gone, and new paver patio complete, and everything is back in it place (within reason), I finished up some repairs on the smoker to get it ready for a 3 day smoked meat Christmas Miracle!  Thursday, Christmas Eve eve will be a 2 rib smoked Angus Prime Rib.  On Christmas Eve I will be doing a smoked pork crown rib roast.  And starting at 11pm Christmas Eve, I am going to do a 15# Costco prime grade Brisket.  It will smoke at 200dgf from 11pm until ~8-9am or 175dgf.    Then I will raise the temp to 250dgf until brisket reaches IT of 205dgf, probably another 2-3 hours and rest it until dinner at 6pm.  Then salads until the new year...😋

• I like it 5

Question for the experienced smokers on the forum.  Last year was my first time smoking a prime rib roast.  I've always roasted them in the past.  It cooked perfectly and was delicious.  But because the roast is so think (compared to a brisket) the center half was no different from when I roast one in the oven.  Only the outer 1 to  1 1 /2 inches in each direction had any smoky flavor.  I'm only doing 5-7 pounders.  Does anyone have better results/tips for something like this?  I did think about cutting the roast to essentially be 2 or 3 LARGE bone in ribeyes and smoking them that way.  But then it doesn't really feel like the Christmas roast that I traditionally do every year.  Thoughts?

3 hours ago, BigRich said:

Question for the experienced smokers on the forum.  Last year was my first time smoking a prime rib roast.  I've always roasted them in the past.  It cooked perfectly and was delicious.  But because the roast is so think (compared to a brisket) the center half was no different from when I roast one in the oven.  Only the outer 1 to  1 1 /2 inches in each direction had any smoky flavor.  I'm only doing 5-7 pounders.  Does anyone have better results/tips for something like this?  I did think about cutting the roast to essentially be 2 or 3 LARGE bone in ribeyes and smoking them that way.  But then it doesn't really feel like the Christmas roast that I traditionally do every year.  Thoughts?

The smoke flavor really doesn't penetrate very far into the meat. If you want to increase the amount of meat flavored by the smoke, you need to increase the surface area impacted by the smoke - which means cutting up a large roast into smaller pieces. You'll get more bark that way and the bark is delicious. But, the presentation of cutting into one large roast is lost. The other negative (or maybe positive) of cutting the roast into smaller pieces - the meat will cook faster and if you are looking for more smoke flavor, less time in the smoke means less smoke flavor overall but maybe more meat is kissed by some smoke.

• I like it 1

21 hours ago, Kjbarth said:

The smoke flavor really doesn't penetrate very far into the meat. If you want to increase the amount of meat flavored by the smoke, you need to increase the surface area impacted by the smoke - which means cutting up a large roast into smaller pieces. You'll get more bark that way and the bark is delicious. But, the presentation of cutting into one large roast is lost. The other negative (or maybe positive) of cutting the roast into smaller pieces - the meat will cook faster and if you are looking for more smoke flavor, less time in the smoke means less smoke flavor overall but maybe more meat is kissed by some smoke.

I appreciate the feedback.  I traded texts with some folks I think the nature of my post was misleading.  I guess to state it better:  I know the surface area ratios extremely limits the smoke flavor penetration.  Since it is actually super easy to roast prime rib, why waste the extra effort of smoking one if the flavor difference is minimal?  I'm planning for the oven again this year and really just complaining.  :)

• I like it 1

We picked up a 1/4 Honey Baked Ham for lunches (and dinner...and breakfast) this week. Now I'm using the bone in a pot of Hurst Hambeens. Smells sooooo good.

20211222_111915.jpg

• I like it 4

Everything on the grill. In-laws provide the food, wife provides inside support prep and I man the grill/bark orders as though it’s harder than it really is lol.

gotta keep everyone thinking I’m hard at work and NOT drinking whiskey outside. Haha

51A0E9A0-22B8-4F3D-8F89-5065B0444C46.jpeg

• I like it 6

I got up this morning and started making lima beans with bacon in the crock pot.  It turned out very well.  I love the crock pot.  Come home from church and have hot food waiting.

• I like it 3

Christmas dinner.. rotisserie chicken, 5 bone prime rib, removed the bones and cooked them on the grill with the rotisserie chicken. Prime rib cooked on Weber 22 kettle with SNS, 053D9B47-F0F8-4C24-9951-79E6F300EB05.thumb.jpeg.09a36b613aceca08784ccec80d52825f.jpegF149FEBB-837B-401F-9E07-55F27FC464A9.thumb.jpeg.a18fdb0d9649ecc5042aa9703c2ab163.jpegreverse sear, seared on big Weber gasser.

• I like it 2

I gave my sister’s recipe for enchiladas blancas a try last night.  It was pretty damn good.  My girls all loved it.

7189DD30-CD78-4ECF-86E6-D8A4A0354C86.jpeg

Edited by BigRich
  • I like it 3

The official appetizer of GBS.  😁Boozie Dogs

3/4 cup light brown sugar

2-1/2 cups Ketchup 

1 cup bourbon

1 pack Lit’l Smokies (beef preferred)

Mix up the stuff directly in crockpot.  Then dump in the dogs. Cook in crockpot on low for 8 hours.  😋 

5170CACD-FE7A-4D44-B815-B6DBFB5DED25.jpeg

• I like it 5

Prime rib last night and Makers Mark Bloody Marys with pancakes this morning.

AEB3EB7E-3F71-48F0-8FB9-A0AEB436E1E4.jpeg

DBBBEE39-BD4C-4D68-AD31-9F8F0EACB4F5.jpeg

DACEFB30-D1B2-4C0B-90E2-444D92E7F33A.jpeg

• I like it 5

11 minutes ago, markandrex said:

Prime rib last night and Makers Mark Bloody Marys with pancakes this morning.

AEB3EB7E-3F71-48F0-8FB9-A0AEB436E1E4.jpeg

DBBBEE39-BD4C-4D68-AD31-9F8F0EACB4F5.jpeg

DACEFB30-D1B2-4C0B-90E2-444D92E7F33A.jpeg

That looks perfectly cooked!  🤤 

• I like it 1

24 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

That looks perfectly cooked!  🤤 

Thank you sir, it was.  It was probably the best I have ever prepared.

My wife has an old typed recipe for her grandmother's spaghetti sauce.  She had talked about it for a long time.  Today I decided to make it.  I read the recipe and said to myself, 'I know what this is.  This is what some Italian Americans refer to as "gravy" a sauce with a lot of meat'.  I made it and served over thin pasta (angel hair).  It was a big hit. 😊  I've got it figured out, and can easily make in the future.   

• I like it 3

On 12/22/2021 at 9:42 AM, BigRich said:

I appreciate the feedback.  I traded texts with some folks I think the nature of my post was misleading.  I guess to state it better:  I know the surface area ratios extremely limits the smoke flavor penetration.  Since it is actually super easy to roast prime rib, why waste the extra effort of smoking one if the flavor difference is minimal?  I'm planning for the oven again this year and really just complaining.  :)

Got a kick out of this series of posts, Rich.  Wife had me smoke/grill a three-bone Prime rib last Summer "just for fun".  I cut the roast OFF the bones and put them all in the smoker.  That way, the meta cooks through, and the bones do, too.  I tied the roast so it would keep its shape when I sat it back on the bone saddle for table presentation.

www.amazingribs.com has some discussion of this technique.

Like you, though, the smoke flavor addition from the grill is minimal.  I betcha using liquid smoke or a really good smoky dry rub (like Meathead's new "beef" rub) would work just fine in the oven.

• I like it 1