What’s on the menu????

fishnbowljoe

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

They have a Hot Brown breakfast at Mammys in Bardstown. 😋

Biba! Jo

Mammys was my first hot brown experience two years ago and it is delicious. BBC added a hot brown to the menu and their version uses thick cut bacon cubes which I have to say is genius. 

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

I just gained 5 pounds looking at this picture…🤣.  Dang, looks good…

It was! I ate maybe 1/3 of it. Noticed after they have a “petite” option which I would do next time. And maybe ask for a tad less mornay sauce. 

35 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Mammys was my first hot brown experience two years ago and it is delicious. BBC added a hot brown to the menu and their version uses thick cut bacon cubes which I have to say is genius. 

It was! I ate maybe 1/3 of it. Noticed after they have a “petite” option which I would do next time. And maybe ask for a tad less mornay sauce. 

LOL! Message received and understood. The last time I was at Mammy’s they had a half portion breakfast Hot Brown. It was much easier to deal with than the full portion ones I had there in the past. 🤢 Thank goodness. 🙂

Biba! Joe

17 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

LOL! Message received and understood. The last time I was at Mammy’s they had a half portion breakfast Hot Brown. It was much easier to deal with than the full portion ones I had there in the past. 🤢 Thank goodness. 🙂

Biba! Joe

This is true. I think from here on out it’s gonna be a shared meal or smaller size for me. 

I have been enjoying this since I was a little boy, pickled beets and eggs. A guy that I work with has a farm and his son Jacob takes care of the eggs. Can't beet farm fresh eggs.

Prost!! Phil 

16470995929145318427622654221551.jpg

• I like it 4

On 3/11/2022 at 6:24 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

Smoked chuck roast, tots, SAOS

20220311_180604.jpg

Damn that looks good.  You made that just the way I like it.  🤤

15 hours ago, Kepler said:

Damn that looks good.  You made that just the way I like it.  🤤

Thanks!

On 3/11/2022 at 6:24 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

Smoked chuck roast, tots, SAOS

20220311_180604.jpg

Wow! I’ve not smoked a chuck roast before. Would you mind posting a quick rundown of process? Mostly I’m curious if you’re cooking to a specific IT and also whether it’s foiled/wrapped at some point in the process. .  .

Post St. Paddy’s Day corned beef hash with a fried egg on top. 

6B418E1F-DF26-4928-B7FB-BE50898B9522.jpeg

• I like it 5

Crazy nice 80 degree day. Great day for the grill.  I noticed the packaging after I cooked it.  Small Batch was great, still seeking the Single Hog release, though.

Capture.JPG.a87c62fce8166815db514c0ea5db7e57.JPG

• I like it 3

8 hours ago, dcbt said:

Crazy nice 80 degree day. Great day for the grill.  I noticed the packaging after I cooked it.  Small Batch was great, still seeking the Single Hog release, though.

Capture.JPG.a87c62fce8166815db514c0ea5db7e57.JPG

Ha!

• 3 weeks later...

2.5lb Tomahawk to test out my new MEATER probes. Steak was probably almost three inches thick so went with the reverse sear. 

My mom prefers closer to medium well so I took it to 142 IT vs the 135 I would shoot for if cooking for myself. Consequently the edges were pretty medium well but the middle was very much to my liking. 

CD529814-411E-4428-9182-E8C0256E700C.jpeg

5D869F7E-B070-41AD-A03F-E1D722FAC501.jpeg

• I like it 6

It's Easter. So Ham. This year's Ham was brined and smoked. Then will be baked. Lemon and strawberry juices for the liquid with sage onion and orange. The Ham has been dusted with brown sugar, covered in cloves, ground sage, garlic, and a bit of lavender. Spiked with amaro cherries and the whole pan was lightly dusted with saffron. Baking at 275 tented. Then will move the cherries to the liquid, baste, and raise heat to 375 untented. Hope it turns out well. Photo is right before the baking. Many sides will accompany. A nice blush with the meal and some of the PX finished JEP with dessert. Happy easter to all of you who celebrate.

20220417_115744.jpg

• I like it 2

My daughters came over today and didn't want ham so we agreed on turkey. They also don't like smoke so I deep fried it. Turned out great. Dry brined for a couple days in the fridge and then injected with chicken broth and butter.  No pic of the finished product. 🤷‍♂️

20220417_093624.jpg

20220417_095920.jpg

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

My daughters came over today and didn't want ham so we agreed on turkey. They also don't like smoke so I deep fried it. Turned out great. Dry brined for a couple days in the fridge and then injected with chicken broth and butter.  No pic of the finished product. 🤷‍♂️

20220417_093624.jpg

20220417_095920.jpg

Hold up, hold up... the daughters turned up today, decided they didn't want ham and you just happened to have a turkey in the fridge that had been brining for a couple of days? Is it standard American procedure to have a turkey brining in the fridge in the event of emergency? 

• I like it 1

10 minutes ago, beasled said:

Hold up, hold up... the daughters turned up today, decided they didn't want ham and you just happened to have a turkey in the fridge that had been brining for a couple of days? Is it standard American procedure to have a turkey brining in the fridge in the event of emergency? 

What..you don't? 😜🤣

Ok..poorly worded. It was pre-determined they didn't want ham this year. My oldest actually brought the turkey earlier in the week to defrost and brine.

1 hour ago, beasled said:

It’s America!  Anything is possible!  😁

12 hours ago, Clueby said:

What..you don't? 😜🤣

Ok..poorly worded. It was pre-determined they didn't want ham this year. My oldest actually brought the turkey earlier in the week to defrost and brine.

Haha! Sounds great though.

• I like it 1

For Easter I smoked a NY loin roast. Last night I warmed up the leftovers in the sous vide. Then I thinly sliced it, put it on brioche buns, then smothered it with onions, peppers, and provolone. 

It's basically a Philly cheese steak with a little smokiness. And yes, it was fantastic! 

60EB7981-1B47-44B1-B540-5D86EC6FA660.jpeg

• I like it 7

All these great sandwiches got me thinking the famous Cuban Sandwich.  The thing I didn't have was the roast pork.  Pernil (roast pork) is made similarly in many Latin countries.  It's famous in Puerto Rico.  I read a lot of recipes and came up with this as my marinade.

10 clove or more garlic (chopped)

1/4 c olive oil

2T oregano

1T salt

1 1/2 t black pepper

1 t chili powder

1/4 c orange juice

I marinated a 2lb pork shoulder overnight.  Then cooked covered in a casserole dish 4 hours at 300F.  I flipped it and basted at 2 hours.  At 3 1/2 hours I turned it back over and basted again, cooked uncovered the last 1/2 hour.

I was blown away how good this turned out.  It reminds me of carnitas from a really good Mexican restaurant.

• I like it 3

On 4/25/2022 at 4:17 PM, Mattk said:

Yesterday i made some pit beef sandwiches with my newly fixed slicer

20220424_141047.jpg

That looks great!!

I'm willing to bet that not too many people, (outside of the DMV area), even know what pit beef is.

I also cut  the onions with my slicer.   It's a cheap one, (that was gifted) and I'm pretty sure that the motor is burned up.    I keep scanning FB marketplace for a good used one.     

I ain’t sure I can make a better BLT….

5BDD2394-40EB-4666-AB13-806BB739D307.jpeg

• I like it 4

Just me and my daughters tonight.  They made this request.  The charcoal is getting ready as I type.

BE705FEA-721E-4CEF-8411-D41A62F9D40F.jpeg

• I like it 4