What’s on the menu????

fishnbowljoe

No photos (we eat fast in our house) but I finally got around to trying the hasselback potatoes last night with dinner.  They went pretty damn fast with the nine year old laying claim to more than her fair share.  It's a keeper for us.  And not nearly as time consuming as I thought they would be. 

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

It’s cooling down, so we’re all-in on stone ground grits, bacon, (went poached eggs tonight instead of fried), lotsa butter, salt and ground pepper.  It’ll be Marberger’s buttermilk for dessert…🤪

A124ABB0-4DCC-4EFB-BAC8-109F052494D3.jpeg

• I like it 2

Sunday night's ambitious grillathon. That night's dinner for the fam, plus my oldest's lunches for the week, plus my dinners for the week.  Salmon, corn, steak, family recipe chicken and steak kabobs, jerk chicken kabobs.

PXL_20221002_234713972.jpg

• I like it 3

Prepping some homemade pesto (basil from pots on the deck) with chicken Italian sausage, capresse salad and garlic toast.  Pics to follow.

• I like it 1

We tried Hello Fresh this week.  A little overpriced but not outrageous and much less expensive than eating out.

My older son and his girlfriend usually buy 3 to 4 meals per week because they are really busy with work.  They really like it.

So, my youngest son who lives with us thought it would be good to give it a try.  He bought 4 meals for 4.  So far, so good.  We had a great salmon dinner and a great beef tenderloin dinner.  They send you everything fresh and simple preparation instructions.  I believe the meals averaged around $20-30 for the three of us.  We could probably buy the same ingredients and make a similar meal for $15-$20.  However, it is delivered to our house so the convenience and not having to meal plan is good.

The other good part is it takes our portions sizes down to what they should be not what we think they should be.

Edited by mbroo5880i

Let’s look at the specs:

100% Beef

Rich, brown gravy 

Mac & Cheese

No preservatives 

330 Calories

1000mg of Sodium

23g PROTEIN

Ready to eat 6:30 from entering the microwave 

Lord Salisbury would be proud!  🤣

1CDBD8D9-C2A9-4836-B08C-40A9D7278648.jpeg

• I like it 3

On 10/15/2022 at 2:08 AM, smokinjoe said:

Let’s look at the specs:

100% Beef

Rich, brown gravy 

Mac & Cheese

No preservatives 

330 Calories

1000mg of Sodium

23g PROTEIN

giphy (1).webp

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, beasled said:

giphy (1).webp

Heehee!  I was careful not to ruin it by putting it on an actual plate.  😂

• I like it 1

A mild cold front came through last weekend. My wife and I were invited to our sons house last Saturday night. Baseball, movie, and my daughter in law made chili.😋  There was a decent warm up at the beginning of the week, but it started tuning colder again. Towards the end of the week, my wife made stew in the crockpot. Yummm! It’s now turned colder again, and it looks like it might be here to stay. My wife has all the fixins for her crockpot potato soup, and she’ll be making it tomorrow. 🤗 I have most of the fixins for my chili, but a trip to the store is in order. Time to stock up! When it comes to my chili, I like to have enough stuff on hand to throw a batch together on a whim. 😉

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

It’s cold and very windy out. Also light snow. 🥶  Ten minutes and counting.  😋

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.b78d914565dd4a39e31836ada6563a47.jpeg

• I like it 1

13 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

It’s cold and very windy out. Also light snow. 🥶  Ten minutes and counting.  😋

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.b78d914565dd4a39e31836ada6563a47.jpeg

I freaking hate winter, but I love the comfort food we make for this time of year.

Prost!!  Phil 

• I like it 1

On 10/14/2022 at 6:08 PM, smokinjoe said:

Let’s look at the specs:

100% Beef

Rich, brown gravy 

Mac & Cheese

No preservatives 

330 Calories

1000mg of Sodium

23g PROTEIN

Ohhhhhhh man, this was my dream meal from approximately the age of 6 up through sometime in college. May need to revisit!

On 10/16/2022 at 7:07 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

A mild cold front came through last weekend. My wife and I were invited to our sons house last Saturday night. Baseball, movie, and my daughter in law made chili.😋  There was a decent warm up at the beginning of the week, but it started tuning colder again. Towards the end of the week, my wife made stew in the crockpot. Yummm! It’s now turned colder again, and it looks like it might be here to stay. My wife has all the fixins for her crockpot potato soup, and she’ll be making it tomorrow. 🤗 I have most of the fixins for my chili, but a trip to the store is in order. Time to stock up! When it comes to my chili, I like to have enough stuff on hand to throw a batch together on a whim. 😉

Biba! Joe

As I’ve mentioned before, my wife is a Brookfield IL girl.  She knows the Crockpot.  Upcoming crockpot recipes include  a small brisket, a Yankee pot roast, several bean soups (which we freeze lots of and eat through the Spring), etc.  She’s also anal retentive which is why I KNOW what I be eating for the next three months.🤑  I of course will sneak in some sausage, beef slabs, pork chunks, and various kinds of bacon, but it’ll be tough.  Is no wonder I drink bourbon.🤣

TONIGHT it was ban mi burgers (lots of garlic, ginger, soya, and BEEF) with stir fried snow peas and “baby corn” in a black bean stir fry sauce (all done on the grill while I drank 4R YL 80 on ice).

AND!  I did it ALL! Including plating.

• I like it 3

• 2 weeks later...

Mashed potatoes topped with pulled pork and brown sugar bourbon barbecue sauce. 😋  We bought the brown sugar bourbon barbecue sauce on a trip to an apple orchard last week. Looks like we might have to go back and grab a couple more bottles of the barbecue sauce. 😛

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

I've made Kentucky Burgoo several times in the past.  I made it again today in the crock pot.  It was a big hit, so good.  It's somewhere in between stew a hearty vegetable soup.  I've spent time reading a lot of recipes.  I don't use any wild game meat (as some call for).  Chicken and bacon work for us.

• I like it 3

As things begin to cool down, I tend to migrate toward more stews and soups so I made my first Carbonnade of the season yesterday.  I have posted that recipe in the past so I am not going to do that again.

Also had a couple of Seelbach cocktails while making it.   Those are really good but I would not recommend drinking them on an empty stomach.

• I like it 2

dcbt - we were of similar mind over the weekend.  Saturday I smoked filets to just under temp then reverse seared in garlic butter.  Finished with a brandy au poivre sauce that was killer.  Probably the best steak I’ve ever made.

B3C39D2B-A373-4BB2-9800-D7C1C5B55CF3.jpeg

Edited by BigRich
  • I like it 3

Ok, I’ll bite. What’s the green costume? My kids are all grown and I have no little ones visiting so I’m not current on kids cartoons/TV shows. Don’t recognize that sucker.

It’s a Peashooter from the video game Plants vs. Zombies.  🙃

Biba! Joe