What’s on the menu????

fishnbowljoe

15 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Fried bologna sammich, tonight.  
The bologna isn’t special.  It’s Oscar Meyer

The butter isn’t special.  It’s Kirkland.

The cheese isn’t special.  It’s Kraft American.

The salt isn’t special.  It’s Morton’s

The bread isn’t special.  It’s plain white bread.

The Mayo isn’t special.  Just, plain ol’ Duke’s.  

The onion ain’t even a Vidalia, just sweet.

The taste of this sammich is friggin’ World Class Magnificent!   🥰

E0E4340C-9E78-443B-8FF9-C150C9B624D4.jpeg

I don't know Joe.  For those who haven't had the pleasure of Duke's, I find it pretty damn special. 

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, BigRich said:

I don't know Joe.  For those who haven't had the pleasure of Duke's, I find it pretty damn special. 

My wife doesn’t understand that so we have two jars of mayo in the house.🫙

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, BigRich said:

Well, I as a life long Hellman’s guy who flipped to Duke’s some years back, your point is well taken.  

• I like it 1

Years ago, I found out about Duke's on these very pages. Nuff said.

Prost!!  Phil 

• I like it 1

17 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Well, I as a life long Hellman’s guy who flipped to Duke’s some years back, your point is well taken.  

Same.  

On 12/13/2022 at 11:23 AM, BigRich said:

On 12/13/2022 at 1:03 PM, markandrex said:

My wife doesn’t understand that so we have two jars of mayo in the house.🫙

On 12/13/2022 at 3:04 PM, smokinjoe said:

On 12/13/2022 at 3:23 PM, Phil T said:

Years ago, I found out about Duke's on these very pages. Nuff said.

Prost!!  Phil 

On 12/14/2022 at 8:05 AM, BigRich said:

Same.  

I agree with y'all about your choice of mayo.

Along the same lines, if you've never had Red Boy brand mustard on your hotdog or bologna sandwich, you haven't lived life.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Kepler said:

I agree with y'all about your choice of mayo.

Along the same lines, if you've never had Red Boy brand mustard on your hotdog or bologna sandwich, you haven't lived life.

Unless I'm missing something, it is totally unobtainium in my area and online for delivery. 

Prost!!  Phil 

Roast turkey, roasted veg (potatoes, carrots, cauliflower), steamed broccoli and gravy from the turkey.

No mayo.

20221218_172656.jpg

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, beasled said:

Roast turkey, roasted veg (potatoes, carrots, cauliflower), steamed broccoli and gravy from the turkey.

No mayo.

20221218_172656.jpg

Heehee!  Save that Mayo for leftover Turkey sammies!  😁

• I like it 1

On 12/18/2022 at 5:06 AM, Phil T said:

Unless I'm missing something, it is totally unobtainium in my area and online for delivery. 

Prost!!  Phil 

That's probably true, I'm probably playing unfair (sorry).  It's a very small outfit and I've only seen it in Oklahoma and north Texas.  It's just a plain yellow mustard but it has a lot more pure flavor than any national brand I've every tried.

27 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Fried soft crabs for dinner.

Served up with  creamy slaw, pickled beets and tater tots.

20221222_201554.jpg

Dang, those look good!

Put the Boozie Dogs on.  Double batch.  Except for the WT.  I may have tripled that one up…🤪. Should be ready right before dinner.  😋

9CA2D28C-4F70-4BA1-A999-8EF33B52DB46.jpeg

• I like it 2

Pretty happy with the 3 bone standing rib roast for Christmas dinner, yesterday.  

63B31A4F-A78A-4CB2-A23F-8790C8EE6410.jpeg

• I like it 1

No really a 'menu item', at least not for an actual meal; but, Gary's Bourbon Balls always satisfy . . . IN SPADES!!!

Where I grew up, we had Turkey for Thanksgiving (if you didn't like Turkey, you had ham), Ham for Christmas, and then again at Easter.  When we moved to Michigan, we changed it up to Turkey at Thanksgiving, Prime Rib for Christmas, and Ham at Easter.  

But we always have some same items.  On Christmas eve, we have a meat pie from a recipe from the Thomas Jefferson Estate, Mac and Cheese ( my wife spent years but finally replicated my mothers recipe.  She was the only person that I knew that cooked it with Deviled eggs on top). MY wife also makes a sausage dressing.  I do a Prime Rib on the smoker.   It was all very good but about 10K calories for the meal.  For New Years, I will make a Hoppin John (basically red beans and rice with Black eyed peas instead of red beans as well as  brisket on the smoker).

IMG_2525.thumb.jpeg.dd3ab6d337df4091e6f7c50ef5d44afc.jpegIMG_2524.thumb.jpeg.7ab4bd547cdbef80d169a76143ec9a9d.jpegIMG_2521.thumb.jpeg.400f0d3c9772b38338a4c54ea20b4339.jpeg

• I like it 3

My German heritage required pork, sauerkraut and mashed potatoes.  My southern background calls for black-eyed peas, greens and cornbread.  Makes for a great New Years Day meal and excellent leftovers.

• I like it 2

Our traditional New Year meal is sauerkraut and smoked sausage on bed of mashed taters. Having some now. Yum! Probably have enough for leftovers all week. Yay!!

Prost!!  Phil 

20230102_174008.jpg

Edited by Phil T
  • I like it 3

New Year's Day (yesterday) was a traditional NYD menu for us - baked ham with a dill-mustard "dipping" sauce, hoppin' john (black-eyed peas and rice), pickled beet salad (beets, beet greens, some small cheese bits, and a vinaigrette), and cranberry relish (shades of Christmas).  We had a "Cock-Tail" before dinner - David Wondrich wrote a column in Saveur years ago about the origin of the cocktail. Dissolve one demerara sugar cube in a tablespoon of hot water.  THEN, add two ounces of American whiskey and drops of Angostura and swirl in a small OF glass THEN add ice.

Dessert was bourbon cake - kind of a pound cake with bourbon added before baking then bourbon added to the vanilla frosting.  Dense but yummy.

Today was microwave oatmeal, dried out croissant with marmalade, and coffee.  Lunch was dried out croissants (the last thank goodness) holding ham and cheese and lettuce with the remaining dill mustard sauce.  Beer for the football games.

• I like it 2

6 minutes ago, Phil T said:

Our traditional New Year meal is sauerkraut and smoked sausage on bed of mashed taters. Having some now. Yum! Probably have enough for leftovers all week. Yay!!

Prost!!  Phil 

20230102_174008.jpg

OOOOHH!  I am SO envious.  We used to have this as the Christmas dinner first course (wife is second gen from Poland).  Family now has too many vegetarians and picky eaters, and th9s got dropped this year in favor of salmon.

14 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

New Year's Day (yesterday) was a traditional NYD menu for us - baked ham with a dill-mustard "dipping" sauce, hoppin' john (black-eyed peas and rice), pickled beet salad (beets, beet greens, some small cheese bits, and a vinaigrette), and cranberry relish (shades of Christmas).  We had a "Cock-Tail" before dinner - David Wondrich wrote a column in Saveur years ago about the origin of the cocktail. Dissolve one demerara sugar cube in a tablespoon of hot water.  THEN, add two ounces of American whiskey and drops of Angostura and swirl in a small OF glass THEN add ice.

Dessert was bourbon cake - kind of a pound cake with bourbon added before baking then bourbon added to the vanilla frosting.  Dense but yummy.

Today was microwave oatmeal, dried out croissant with marmalade, and coffee.  Lunch was dried out croissants (the last thank goodness) holding ham and cheese and lettuce with the remaining dill mustard sauce.  Beer for the football games.

All of that sounds amazing Harry!! The pickled beet salad sounds incredible !! Pickled beets and eggs are a summer staple for me.

Prost!!  Phil 

Edited by Phil T

6 minutes ago, Phil T said:

All of that sounds amazing Harry!! The pickled beet salad sounds incredible !! Pickled beets and eggs are a summer staple for me.

Prost!!  Phil 

OH YEAH!  THX for the poke about the eggs.  We do make beets w/egg salads during BBQ season - the pickling and egg and beets make a great cold combo with smoked meats - cuts the fat and reduces the smoke overtones.  That sauerkraut/potato soup/sausage combo, however, haunts me all year even when my wife says, "TOO HEAVY FOR THE WEATHER!"  What does she know that I don't?B)