What’s on the menu????

fishnbowljoe

On 1/2/2023 at 11:46 PM, Phil T said:

Our traditional New Year meal is sauerkraut and smoked sausage on bed of mashed taters. Having some now. Yum! Probably have enough for leftovers all week. Yay!!

Prost!!  Phil 

20230102_174008.jpg

Sauerkraut for the win! This looks awesome. 

• I like it 1

As a kid my dad would often bring back a few dozen bagels from a 24 hour bagel shop in London's Brick Lane (also known for its curry houses) after a night shift.

They'd last three or four days before going stale, though a quick nuke in the microwave (stuffed with cheddar cheese) would bring them back to life. 

I got into breadmaking a few years back and started to make bagels, it's like eating a piece of my youth. 

These were today's batch. 

20230131_140536~2.jpg

Edited by beasled
  • I like it 6

Braised Coca-Cola beef short ribs over Orzo pasta.  Wintertime comfort food.  

CE52D582-5F78-4984-91CF-252CD2968EA0.jpeg

• I like it 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2023 at 5:39 PM, jvd99 said:

IMG_5395.jpeg

Several things come to mind as to what this can be, all of them yummy. Just looks delicious!

Some "Italian beef" today. Sirloin roast, dry Italian dressing mix, and a jar of pepperoncinis, juice and all.

20230226_130805.jpg

• I like it 2

• 3 weeks later...

Probably the same as what's  on most folks menu tonight....Corned beef. I did a bit of an experiment and did a flat, a point, and an eye of round. The flat and point were cooked together in one crock pot with potatoes and cabbage and the round was cooked in an instant pot but on slow cook. It had carrots added as well as the potatoes and cabbage.  All cooked on low for 10 hours. The flat and point was waaay better but maybe just because they are fattier cuts to start with. The round was a bit dry. Even the veggies weren't quite as good as the ones in the crackpot, though. Had some bcbs with it. Enjoyed a rare dinner with both my daughters present and our little Leprechaun..grandson Samuel!

Not a lot left over and I bought extra so I might smoke another flat and point on Sunday. I think the round is too lean for the smoker.

20230317_194727.jpg

20230317_182614.jpg

• I like it 4

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been running with a recommendation my nephew gave me a couple months ago.  Tajin.  Really good on cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon, particularly if they aren’t quite ripe yet.  Saves the day!

A2B2F8BA-2DA2-4128-B98C-CF64D42D86C5.jpeg

• I like it 1

On 4/1/2023 at 11:28 AM, smokinjoe said:

I’ve been running with a recommendation my nephew gave me a couple months ago.  Tajin.  Really good on cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon, particularly if they aren’t quite ripe yet.  Saves the day!

We use Tajin on veggies or chicken a lot but never thought to try on fruit!!

Tonight's menu was strips, baker, and green beans with a barrel aged Manhattan. I love Sundays.

20230402_175751.jpg

• I like it 1

A few random pics from New Orleans, from my Mom's "bucket list" trip.

The food here is crazy good.

20230403_174118.jpg

20230404_110110.jpg

20230404_115322.jpg

20230404_115953.jpg

• I like it 3

On 4/1/2023 at 12:28 PM, smokinjoe said:

A2B2F8BA-2DA2-4128-B98C-CF64D42D86C5.jpeg

Pretty good on the rim of a bloody mary glass also. 

Prost!!  Phil 

47 minutes ago, Phil T said:

Pretty good on the rim of a bloody mary glass also. 

Prost!!  Phil 

Oh my.  Great call!

I'm not much for baking.  Cake....pretty much, no thanks. I'm a pie guy. My wife makes my mom's cherry pie and it delicious. There is a local restaurant that makes the best pecan pie I've ever had. However, the last several times I've had it, the crust was a real disappointment. So I'm thinking 🤔,  I can do this. Here is the end result. We enjoyed it so much, that it disappeared in 3 days. Going forward,  next time I will cut back on the cooking time and cut up the pecans some. Now, I need to try my hand at old fashioned cream.

Prost!!  Phil 

20230403_162910.jpg

• I like it 2

16 hours ago, Phil T said:

I'm not much for baking.  Cake....pretty much, no thanks. I'm a pie guy. My wife makes my mom's cherry pie and it delicious. There is a local restaurant that makes the best pecan pie I've ever had. However, the last several times I've had it, the crust was a real disappointment. So I'm thinking 🤔,  I can do this. Here is the end result. We enjoyed it so much, that it disappeared in 3 days. Going forward,  next time I will cut back on the cooking time and cut up the pecans some. Now, I need to try my hand at old fashioned cream.

Prost!!  Phil 

Ya know, Phil, pecan pie (the really rich and sweet Old South variety) is one of my two all time favorite desserts (both of which are pies; mincemeat is the other).   I really miss pecan pie!   Since my diagnosis with celiac disease, I've not a single piece of the wonderful stuff.    I have had mincemeat semi-regularly using a prefab gluten free crust and a jar of Nonesuch mincemeat... not quite like homemade crust, I grant; but, close enough when one is jonesing for the mincemeat.   Your pic made my mouth water, my friend.   Now I'm drooling down my shirt.  Thank you very little... Ha!

Ham and cheese bowl. From leftovers from Easter. Sorry no pic of the spread. But it may have been my best ham ever. Ritt and lemon to pair.

20230413_175650.jpg

On 4/7/2023 at 9:02 AM, Richnimrod said:

Ya know, Phil, pecan pie (the really rich and sweet Old South variety) is one of my two all time favorite desserts (both of which are pies; mincemeat is the other).   I really miss pecan pie!   Since my diagnosis with celiac disease, I've not a single piece of the wonderful stuff.    I have had mincemeat semi-regularly using a prefab gluten free crust and a jar of Nonesuch mincemeat... not quite like homemade crust, I grant; but, close enough when one is jonesing for the mincemeat.   Your pic made my mouth water, my friend.   Now I'm drooling down my shirt.  Thank you very little... Ha!

Rich, I will make it my mission to make you a gluten free pie for the Spring  Bash.

Peace ✌️ Phil

31 minutes ago, Phil T said:

Rich, I will make it my mission to make you a gluten free pie for the Spring  Bash.

Peace ✌️ Phil

PHIL!   PLEASE Do not go to that trouble!   I would still be unsure that you were as successful as your best intentions would dictate.   So, I'd pass on trying it. 😉😢  Therefore just don't bother!   

I've done OK missing it for 25-years.   I'll do OK 'til I croak, I'm sure.   😛

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful gesture, however!   🤗

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2023 at 7:44 PM, Phil T said:

Peace ✌️ Phil

Okay, since Pecan (properly pronounced Pa-kahn) Pie was mentioned, I can't hold back.  My wife makes one every Thanksgiving.  MY primary criticism is that she only makes one and it's never enough (although I guess if you eat the whole thing, then technically only one piece).   I do miss the pecan variety we used in Louisiana.  The nuts were much lighter in color than the Georgia Pecans we get here.  Much milder  in flavor and more like hickory nuts (keep in mind that Pecans are the the hickory family).  The nut itself had a paper thin shell and are much rounder in shape.

1 hour ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Okay, since Pecan (properly pronounced Pa-kahn) Pie was mentioned, I can't hold back.  

Nope.  It’s Pee-Can.  :)

• I like it 1

50 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Nope.  It’s Pee-Can.  :)

Nope. It's pee-kahn.  😄 

Prost!!  Phil 

Edited by Phil T
  • I like it 1

Jeeeeez!   Yous guys!   Anybody knows it's pronounced: Pee-Can't . . .  for all us 'older' guys, anyway.

• I like it 1