What’s on the menu????

fishnbowljoe

So it has been a challenging cooking season as my wife has been diagnosed as a diabetic and we are having to adapt recipes for low sugar.  She is on teh Keto diet which really restricts carbs.  I was looking for a substitute for french fries and finally found one:  Rutabagas.  YOu basically julienne the rutabaga, put in a back with some olive oil and seasoning (of your choice).  Then cook them in an air fryer or convection oven at 400 for 45 min.  It is actually much better than I thought it would be  and only 3 gm of carbs per serving.

I find it interesting that she can eat croissants from costco without a high blood sugar issue but not croissants from Wal-mart.  I guess that difference is how they are made as the walmart croissants are much more bread like.  Of course, we have shifted from regular bread to either low carb or keto breads.

IN regards to drink, champagnes actually work well for her and a single glass will lower her blood sugar.  Most cocktails are out due to sugar content but neat distilled drink seem okay. Of course the key is amount.  one drink is usually not an issue but several will spike her glucose.

Part of this  is just her finding which foods are triggers and which ones are tolerated well.  Since her brother passed away from consequences of diabetes, she is very aware of the issues.

we do order Keto meals from Factor75 to give her more variety and those work well for her.

If others are interested in how we have adapted  recipes, I can post more but I don’t want to clutter this up if no one is interested.

• I like it 1

Methodically moving in on a true Chicago Dog, here, Down South.  Latest addition is the Chicago Style Relish.  Vienna CSR courtesy of Mrssmokinjoe as a recent Birthday present.  

83BD010E-8CF3-4FC6-B30D-CFE739F7C9F4.jpeg

• I like it 2

On 2/19/2024 at 10:52 AM, StarSurfer55 said:

So it has been a challenging cooking season as my wife has been diagnosed as a diabetic and we are having to adapt recipes for low sugar.  She is on teh Keto diet which really restricts carbs.  I was looking for a substitute for french fries and finally found one:  Rutabagas.  YOu basically julienne the rutabaga, put in a back with some olive oil and seasoning (of your choice).  Then cook them in an air fryer or convection oven at 400 for 45 min.  It is actually much better than I thought it would be  and only 3 gm of carbs per serving.

I find it interesting that she can eat croissants from costco without a high blood sugar issue but not croissants from Wal-mart.  I guess that difference is how they are made as the walmart croissants are much more bread like.  Of course, we have shifted from regular bread to either low carb or keto breads.

IN regards to drink, champagnes actually work well for her and a single glass will lower her blood sugar.  Most cocktails are out due to sugar content but neat distilled drink seem okay. Of course the key is amount.  one drink is usually not an issue but several will spike her glucose.

Part of this  is just her finding which foods are triggers and which ones are tolerated well.  Since her brother passed away from consequences of diabetes, she is very aware of the issues.

we do order Keto meals from Factor75 to give her more variety and those work well for her.

If others are interested in how we have adapted  recipes, I can post more but I don’t want to clutter this up if no one is interested.

My wife is diabetic as well.  She finds that a pour or two of neat bourbon actually LOWERS her blood sugar. 🤷‍♂️  Other drinks with a carb content like soda, wine, or beer cause a fast and drastic spike in blood sugar especially when compared to foods that might have a carb content.  Food tends to be much slower and less drastic than liquids.  She basically only drinks (other than bourbon) unsweetened iced tea or hot tea and water.  We have to get better about our diet, especially around carb and sodium intake.  The holidays were especially difficult!

I wanted a cheesesteak, but all the places around me are pretty mediocre. So I made my own.

20240223_202418.jpg

• I like it 3

Homemade pizza (wife made the sourdough dough, rolled it out, added home grown veggies and tomato sauce) accompanied by "happy hour" food of spinach/artichoke dip (made from scratch).  HH drink was Barr Hill Tom Cat Gin with Wegmans Sicilian lemon soda, and dinner wine was "Old Vine Red" from Trader Joe's.  Dessert was homemade "birthday cake" ice cream with Whole Foods tart cherry pie.   Pictures follow:

IMG_1953.JPG

IMG_1955.JPG

IMG_1956.JPG

IMG_1958.JPG

• I like it 4

Made some onion soup. It was a blend of yellow, white, and red onions. I couldn't fit any more onions in the Dutch oven and they cooked down to about a 3/4" layer. Used a little beer to finish braising them. Some toasted bread rounds and broiled cheese. Yum 

20240224_121212.jpg

20240224_143602.jpg

20240224_143658.jpg

20240224_151620.jpg

20240224_151626.jpg

• I like it 3

On 2/21/2024 at 10:46 AM, Clueby said:

My wife is diabetic as well.  She finds that a pour or two of neat bourbon actually LOWERS her blood sugar. 🤷‍♂️  Other drinks with a carb content like soda, wine, or beer cause a fast and drastic spike in blood sugar especially when compared to foods that might have a carb content.  Food tends to be much slower and less drastic than liquids.  She basically only drinks (other than bourbon) unsweetened iced tea or hot tea and water.  We have to get better about our diet, especially around carb and sodium intake.  The holidays were especially difficult!

Yep, my wife played with using Allulose as the sugar substitute in her banana and pumpkin bread.  It was not  good.  THE allulose doesn’t appear to dissolve and when cooked the bread had a gritty texture.   IT is interesting to me that you can substract fiber from carbs to get the next carbs.  She has found that dry white wines don’t spike her blood sugar and that champagne (we typically drink Freixnet, a SPanish Cava, as our routine Champagne.  At 12 a bottle, it is a good value).  

I have found a Keto bisquick alternative that I have tried.  I also tried making biscuits with keto flour.  The only issue that I have found is that they do not brown well so it is easy to overcook them.  Chemically, browning is due to the Maillard reaction, and it requires an interaction between sugar and the protein.  It does not mean that you need a lot of sugar but the amount that is normally in flour is sufficient for browning, no sugar, no browning.  Also, they don’t rise as much as normal flour

So I have made biscuits with keto flour and sausage gravy using the keto flour as the thickening agent.    It works, not as good as the original, but good enough to scratch the itch.

I agree that a neat bourbon is okay as it is the neat whiskey  is the only alcoholic beverage allowed on the strict keto diets.   Everyone has different triggers.  THe issue is when you are controlling youd diabetes only using your diet, then it gets a bit more tricky.

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...

Great sign outside a German restaurant tonight!

IMG_0686.jpeg

• I like it 3

These ARE, Magically Delicious!  🎵 😂

A93B8234-4FCD-4BD7-A3E6-AD461AF2B677.jpeg

32 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

These ARE, Magically Delicious!  🎵 😂

A93B8234-4FCD-4BD7-A3E6-AD461AF2B677.jpeg

HA!   I see what yer doin' there!   Nice One!

Bangers and mash.

Prost!!  Phil 

20240317_183852.jpg

• I like it 2

Corned beef hash, with a runny fried egg on top.  Oh my.  😋😋

E9F7356B-79F2-407C-8A83-8BB0EBB68A90.jpeg

• I like it 3

• 4 weeks later...

Even though it's Spring, here in Ohio we deal with an equal amount of warm and cold days. So I'm still making cold weather comfort food items. After going through the pantry, I decided it was going to be a tuna casserole night. I use a simple recipe that is not bogged down with a lot cheese. It is however, full of White Albacore tuna and fresh mushrooms.

Tuna seems to be at the forefront on a lot of what I have eaten lately. Poke has dominated my lunches for the last couple months. I'm surprised that I haven't tired of it. I guess I just super enjoy. It.

Prost!!  Phil 

20240411_182206.jpg

• I like it 2

Made some French toast. Didn't have any vanilla or cinnamon so I added a little bit of bourbon smoked turbinado. Sprinkled with a little powdered sugar and topped with some SA maple syrup.

20240413_121122.jpg

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

Made some French toast. Didn't have any vanilla or cinnamon so I added a little bit of bourbon smoked turbinado. Sprinkled with a little powdered sugar and topped with some SA maple syrup.

20240413_121122.jpg

Nice!  Sounds and looks great!  Growing up, my dad had a couple of various types of recipes in his back pocket, that he would pull out and make occasionally.  French Toast was one of them.  I haven’t had FT in years, but now you got me getting a hankerin’ for some!  😋

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Nice!  Sounds and looks great!  Growing up, my dad had a couple of various types of recipes in his back pocket, that he would pull out and make occasionally.  French Toast was one of them.  I haven’t had FT in years, but now you got me getting a hankerin’ for some!  😋

We were at the store last night and Mrs. Clueby said we needed eggs, bread, and milk. My mind said...French toast !

First strawberry pie of the season.

Prost!!  Phil 

20240413_211234.jpg

• I like it 1

I met @JerseyDon for the fish fry at my American Legion post Friday night. I had the shrimp dinner. As a side note here, the lady that runs the fish fry has a special needs son. He is friends with a young lady that is also special needs. She bowls in the special needs/autism program I help with at Don Carter Lanes. FWIW, both are high functioning, and help at the fish fry. Both are also great, and fun to be around. ☺️

IMG_4206.thumb.jpeg.1d385c444fffad541e004e3341a9f2e8.jpegIMG_4209.thumb.jpeg.e9fbd02bb649905b1ee12aadbaff84c5.jpeg

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I met @JerseyDon for the fish fry at my American Legion post Friday night. I had the shrimp dinner. As a side note here, the lady that runs the fish fry has a special needs son. He is friends with a young lady that is also special needs. She bowls in the special needs/autism program I help with at Don Carter Lanes. FWIW, both are high functioning, and help at the fish fry. Both are also great, and fun to be around. ☺️

IMG_4206.thumb.jpeg.1d385c444fffad541e004e3341a9f2e8.jpegIMG_4209.thumb.jpeg.e9fbd02bb649905b1ee12aadbaff84c5.jpeg

That looks amazing Joe!! Thanks for sharing. 

Prost!!  Phil 

• I like it 1

Lunch today at the Japanese Festival in DC.

The food was amazing.

So  was the weather.

20240414_110804.jpg

20240414_124806.jpg

My Mom used to make City Chicken regularly, when I was a kid.  I loved it.  Unfortunately, I don’t have her recipe, but figured the one I got from the webs was close.  So I done it.  We’ll see how it works out…😁

IMG_5089.jpeg

• I like it 1