Seeking Mint Julep Glasses (non-glass)

Dave_in_Canada
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Please assist... I'm looking for some basic, well made mint julep glasses (which are completely unavailable here). I'd like to avoid glass, or collectible (derby, etc.) items. I'm looking for something traditional, basic and sturdy, without huge expense. Does anyone have a local KY supplier that offers mail order etc.? I should have picked some up in KY but the luggage was full of bourbon ! smile.gif Thanks in advance.

I know that Evan Williams Single Barrel (I think the 93) came in a gift set that included a mint julep cup (one or 2 I forget, but I think one). Try looking around for them or shoot Tonya a PM, she had several last time I was there. Not saying she could ship em', but doesn't hurt to talk right? wink.gif

Traditionally, mint juleps are to be drunk from a silver cup, 9 to 12 ounces. Sterling runs about $250. Plate about $40. I've also seen them in pewter. If you google 'julep cups' you'll get plenty of hits. Obviously, any metal cup (stainless steel, aluminum) works fine.

Dave,

I can get you the cups grin.gif I "kinda know" the folks who make them available grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

PM me if you want me to get them for you grin.gif

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

I have seen a lot of julip cups (silver, of course) in antique shops around Frankfort, Ky. They are expensive... from $175 to $300. I don't know what the differences are, except, maybe, the quality and age. They usually are in groups of two to four. I have never seen more than four in a set. Even then, that would approach $1000... way too much for my budget!

that would approach $1000... way too much for my budget!

That's why you see so many in the stores! smile.gif

As a clarification, that's around $1000 for four (4) silver julip cups.

Although I would like to own old silver julip cups, that's way too much for me, also.

Let's see... how many George T. Stagg bottles is that? (Or even the best Rip Van Winkle bourbon.) lol.gif

I found some of these last night (Columbia,SC). I got one cup (probably aluminum) with a bottle of EWSB 93 for about $20.

Craig

That's a cool cup, Bettye Jo. Is it aluminum, or some other metal?

Very nice Betty Jo.

A very gracious forum member has offered to help me out with my quest, so I'll be enjoying a cold Julep on my back deck soon. smile.gif

I don't know for sure what it is...but if I had a magnet (to test) I'd bet it's stainless steel...

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

It feels pretty light for stainless steel. I'll make a mint julep in it this weekend and see how it feels after that.

Craig

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.