Give opinions on whether or not to buy specific Bourbons

Mano
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, DeepCover said:

Is there any rational explanation for why the Old Fitz BIB has a different profile than Larceny? I’ve had several NAS BIB bottles of OF as well as the age stated. On paper there should be some similarities with Larceny, but I just don’t get it. The OF seems a bit sweeter (cake icing), and closer to the Weller profile. Larceny seems rougher and has pepper on the finish that I don’t get with OF

My understanding is that I’m simply comparing an OF BIB (4ish yr) to a Larceny NAS (6ish yr?) with the same mashbill. The OF NAS BIB seems to have a more similar profile to the 9+ year decanter versions than any of the Larceny I’ve had. Why would that be?

It definitely makes me glad I bunkered a few of the old NAS OF BIB bottles before they went extinct.

Assuming there is only one mash bill, then it must have something to do with age, warehousing, and proofing it down.

But I agree with you.

Some of the larceny store pick singles pick up that sweeter profile and are much better than regular shelf stock.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, DeepCover said:

Is there any rational explanation for why the Old Fitz BIB has a different profile than Larceny? I’ve had several NAS BIB bottles of OF as well as the age stated. On paper there should be some similarities with Larceny, but I just don’t get it. The OF seems a bit sweeter (cake icing), and closer to the Weller profile. Larceny seems rougher and has pepper on the finish that I don’t get with OF

My understanding is that I’m simply comparing an OF BIB (4ish yr) to a Larceny NAS (6ish yr?) with the same mashbill. The OF NAS BIB seems to have a more similar profile to the 9+ year decanter versions than any of the Larceny I’ve had. Why would that be?

It definitely makes me glad I bunkered a few of the old NAS OF BIB bottles before they went extinct.

I've got a handle of the "old" Old Fitz BIB left that I'm trying to hang on to. I loved that stuff. Much sweeter profile than Larceny and I got a distinct spearmint note with it. All I get with Larceny is acetone and pepper.  I've tried it several times and had a few bottles and haven't liked any of them. Where did all that whiskey that was NAS OFBIB go??!

I've tried a couple of the new decanter OF BIBs and they have all been pretty good with a distinct addition of a lot more wood to the old profile. And the addition of a lot more money!!

• I like it 2

14 hours ago, 0895 said:

The SE4xPR5 is very good IMO.  I like it much better than last year's RC6.  For the record, I liked RC6, but grew tired of it halfway through the bottle.  The SE4xPR5 cuts much of the sweetness back and adds more wood flavors.

Word on the street is that C920 LBP is very very good.

So either way you win!  :)

I was also drawn for this lottery, however it was my buddy's (who shares points with me) turn to pick a bottle.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!  On the basis of being a little cheaper, I prioritized and received the Larceny.

• I like it 3

I am undoubtedly not alone in thinking that mashbill is vastly over valued. On paper, WT80 and WT RB and WT KS are pretty much the same thing. Yet we know they are not. I have lost track of the number of times some aisle roamer at Total Wines as tried to sell me one of the cats or dogs I never heard of that is "the same as" fill in the blank for 1/4 the price. But, well, they are not. 

• I like it 2

• 5 months later...
On 10/15/2020 at 7:59 PM, WD40 said:

Curious. I am trying to get my hands on the newly released 5 year BiB from Leopold Brothers. Can not find it here in Maryland DMV Area. Has anyone given it a try?

F8D0640A-A919-43E9-8C6E-F304A71F867A.jpeg

I've never tried tthe 5-year BIB,  but I have an open bottle of the Leopold Bros.  Straight Bourbon,  which is 90 proof and 4 years old, but the same mashbill.  It has a nose like wet hay and a grassy flavor that reminds me of dusty Heaven Hill but with an oilier mouthfeel.    I didn't like it  much at first but as the bottle opens up it is growing on me.   It is unquestionably well made and it isn't too young.  As craft bourbons go,  I prefer the sweeter profile of FEW.   

On 10/15/2020 at 5:31 PM, FasterHorses said:

Do NOT buy Michters on principle. 
The limestone branch stuff ive had is mediocre but their Minor Case Rye is not bad at all.. i am a repeat buyer. 

Sorry for the 7 month reply but... Why the, "do not buy Michter's on principle"?

23 minutes ago, LvR Mike said:

Sorry for the 7 month reply but... Why the, "do not buy Michter's on principle"?

Research the history of the new ownership. Sketchy 

• I like it 1

On 11/9/2020 at 3:29 PM, Flyfish said:

I am undoubtedly not alone in thinking that mashbill is vastly over valued. On paper, WT80 and WT RB and WT KS are pretty much the same thing. Yet we know they are not. I have lost track of the number of times some aisle roamer at Total Wines as tried to sell me one of the cats or dogs I never heard of that is "the same as" fill in the blank for 1/4 the price. But, well, they are not. 

You mean GTS Jr. and Benchmark Full Proof aren't the same thing?  😀

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

The reasons are legion.

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

You mean GTS Jr. and Benchmark Full Proof aren't the same thing?  😀

But AA is baby Blantons right???? Man o man I bought a lot of AA trying to get ahead of the boom..... 😂

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.