BOTM 11/20 Wild Turkey Rare Breed 116.8

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, it's a very special month and this year it gets the addition of a pretty big election. I first thought about picking a bourbon that could be tied to a Presidential election. Hancock's Presidential Reserve is such an obvious choice and I even have a bottle but I decided against it since it's become such a ghost that I doubt very many of you have access to it. Then I remembered that Truman (I think) is reputed to have started every day with a shot of OGD but we just did that.

So, we're on to Turkey Day!

Christmas is the king of holidays but I know for many that Thanksgiving is their favorite because you get the family and the food without the stress of all the Christmas shopping and endless parties. And if you've been around here for any length of time you know that Wild Turkey products are brought out en masse on this holiday.

For those that don't know, this bourbon is a blend of 6yr, 8yr, and 12yr barrels. If you've seen my post on another thread you know that I participated in a blending exercise with none other than Eddie and Jimmy themselves where we were given the component parts and a control sample of that actual product and were tasked with recreating the blend. From that exercise and from some prompts from Eddie, I can tell you that this is majority 6yr old, a semi decent amount of 8yr old, and enough of a touch of 12yr old to make an important difference. This bourbon also represents one of the great values when you consider the price and the 116.8 proof.

I just love this bourbon. Something about that Turkey yeast just adds those layers of spices on top of the typical bourbon flavors of caramel and vanilla and it really delivers at high proof. Every year I gather with friends in Hood River, Oregon (formerly in Bend) for a Thanksgiving weekend extravaganza and I always bring Rare Breed. It's the bourbon of choice for sipping and as an ingredient in the bourbon pecan pie. (And if Ohio State beats Michigan it is the celebratory hot tub pour). I just can't imagine Thanksgiving without it. (Our annual gathering is sadly cancelled this year because of you know what.) Despite that I predict that a lot of Rare Breed and other Turkey products will be consumed this month.

Let's hear from you all about Rare Breed!

• I like it 7

Great call Steve!  It checks all the boxes... in spades!  

Consistency, quality, complexity/depth of character, proof/punch, price and AVAILABILITY!

What’s not to love?!?!?

• I like it 2

Great choice and well said! Rare Breed is a barrel proof that is readily available and hasn't joined the fad of limited availability because, well, its a barrel proof. Great flavor, consistent, and for the most part fairly priced. *Gobble Gobble*

Edited by liquidbarrels
  • I like it 1

I love Rare Breed.  Every time I bring home a bottle it ends up empty sooner than all the other bottles I already had open.  Brings a rich, dense flavor above WT101, which is no slouch itself.

• I like it 4

I really wish I could comment (more) here, but unfortunately I can’t. I’ve never had the current version of WTRB. I did purchase a few of the WT03RB’s back in the day, and I thought they were pretty darned good. And one time I stumbled across two or three 375’s of WT-01-99’s. They were superb. I just might have to take  a look see at a couple of stores and maybe grab a current bottling. Operative word, maybe. ^_^ 

Keep up the good work Steve. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I really wish I could comment (more) here, but unfortunately I can’t. I’ve never had the current version of WTRB. I did purchase a few of the WT03RB’s back in the day, and I thought they were pretty darned good. And one time I stumbled across two or three 375’s of WT-01-99’s. They were superb. I just might have to take  a look see at a couple of stores and maybe grab a current bottling. Operative word, maybe. ^_^ 

Keep up the good work Steve. ?

Biba! Joe

C'mon, Joe. Go buy a bottle. We won't tell the folks in Frankfort, i promise! 

• I like it 5

Echoing Paddy, great pick, Steve.  Gives me an excuse to do a SBS of a 375 I picked up of the most recent batch with the one 750 I have left of the previous batch.  For some reason, I always seem to have too few of these in the bunker regardless of how many I think I bought.

Maybe “somebody else” in the house is sipping on them, too.  Going to have to set up some cameras.:ph34r:

• I like it 1

On 11/1/2020 at 8:30 PM, flahute said:

I just love this bourbon. Something about that Turkey yeast just adds those layers of spices on top of the typical bourbon flavors of caramel and vanilla and it really delivers at high proof.

I agree. Yeast is probably the most overlooked component of excellent bourbon--except by the folks at 4R. Really glad that Turkey is back at the top of their game. 

• 2 weeks later...

GREAT pick!!! I have said this before in different threads but WTRB is the one if I was tasked with going into store, regardless of how swell stocked and I could leave with only 1 bottle of readily available non LE, behind the counter, gotta know somebody, yadda, yadda yadda, heck even including most of those, WTRB is what I would spend my money on. Happy Turkey month.

• I like it 1

All things considered,  Rare Breed might just be the best whiskey in America.     The flavor, the proof and the price (just 45 bucks in Pennsy, 15 bucks less than Kentucky Spirit)  are as close to perfect as anything else I can think of.   

• I like it 4

On 11/3/2020 at 10:26 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Echoing Paddy, great pick, Steve.  Gives me an excuse to do a SBS of a 375 I picked up of the most recent batch with the one 750 I have left of the previous batch.  For some reason, I always seem to have too few of these in the bunker regardless of how many I think I bought.

Maybe “somebody else” in the house is sipping on them, too.  Going to have to set up some cameras.:ph34r:

Around my house, I've had that suspicion,  and always been wrong.  

• I like it 1

I was wondering what my next bottle to open would be.  

Steve made it easy.

I feel the 116.8 Rare Breed is the best batch since the 1999.

20201121_204251.jpg

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I was wondering what my next bottle to open would be.  

Steve made it easy.

I feel the 116.8 Rare Breed is the best batch since the 1999.

20201121_204251.jpg

My man!

Just now, Kepler said:

Great choice for BOTM!

I knew you would approve! Happy to have you in the Lawrenceburg Tribe.

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, flahute said:

I knew you would approve! Happy to have you in the Lawrenceburg Tribe.

Couldn't be happier to be a part of that club.

• I like it 1

One of my steady pours, bought a bottle yesterday. It gives me the incentive i need to finish the current open bottle!

On 11/19/2020 at 6:10 PM, Jazzhead said:

All things considered,  Rare Breed might just be the best whiskey in America.     The flavor, the proof and the price (just 45 bucks in Pennsy, 15 bucks less than Kentucky Spirit)  are as close to perfect as anything else I can think of.   

I'm not usually one for superlatives, but throw in the availability factor and an argument could be made for this for sure.

• I like it 3

Seeing as Thanksgiving is a couple of days away, I've spent the last week or so getting intimate with the WT lineup. And much to my benefit. 

From 101 to RR SiB, and KS to RB, the year-round/semi-limited WT products are across the board delicious and of high value. The fact I can find a handle of 101 next to a bottle RB on the shelf at a reasonable price most any time of year in western PA is outstanding. 

This makes it easy and comfortable to return not only to their portfolio, but their consistency. Time and again, I drink me a WT product and wonder why the hell I'm spending more money on lesser whiskies.

Though RB is the November BOTM, I'd like to think we are celebrating WT. This Thanksgiving, I say we all pour a stiff two fingers of RB for Jimmy and Eddie. Thanks gentlemen. 

• I like it 2

47 minutes ago, Rhettro said:

Seeing as Thanksgiving is a couple of days away, I've spent the last week or so getting intimate with the WT lineup. And much to my benefit. 

From 101 to RR SiB, and KS to RB, the year-round/semi-limited WT products are across the board delicious and of high value. The fact I can find a handle of 101 next to a bottle RB on the shelf at a reasonable price most any time of year in western PA is outstanding. 

This makes it easy and comfortable to return not only to their portfolio, but their consistency. Time and again, I drink me a WT product and wonder why the hell I'm spending more money on lesser whiskies.

Though RB is the November BOTM, I'd like to think we are celebrating WT. This Thanksgiving, I say we all pour a stiff two fingers of RB for Jimmy and Eddie. Thanks gentlemen. 

Preach! Indeed, all Turkey products are highly recommended this month.

• I like it 2

I’m glad to see so many enthusiastic fans of this bourbon, as I never felt it got the attention it deserved in the marketplace. It’s been a fave of mine ever since it first appeared in, I think it was 1991? Anyway, just a delicious bourbon all around and at a very reasonable price.

Edited by BourbonDude
  • I like it 3

I finally got around to my unscientific SBS of RB 116.8 and 112.8.  Sips in the utility room while folding laundry and smelling cooking turkey just outside the door revealed the profile I expect to find with RB regardless of the batch - slight alcohol heat from the slightly higher proof, solid spice, good oak essence, some pepper, and just a hint of sweetness.  The difference?  Both had fruit on the finish; the 116.8 reminded me of spiced apple while the 112.8 made me think of tart cherry.  Neither had the full complement of flavors one finds in exceptional bourbons (LEs, special releases, etc.), but I like both of these just fine.  I used the 112.8 last night in pre-dinner cocktails (Crotchety Old Fashioneds discussed on antoher thread) and it was great in them.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.