Foursquare Detente

Bbstout
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Has anyone had this? 6 year port cask finish. I have been waiting for this. Unfortunately it will go fast I bet.

I picked up a bottle yesterday, good reason to get it open!  10 years, blend of a 10 year ex-bourbon cask rum and a 4 year bourbon + 6 years port cask rum.  Only 102 proof?  (Sheesh, I'm turning into a proof whore! Err, aficionado...)  Kinda wish they'd include the percentages of each on the blends, but that's the data geek in me.  Price point is really nice - mid 60's for a Foursquare Exceptional Cask?  That's pricing from 4 years ago!  

Taste-wise, it's quite good.  Smell is nice but not overwhelming.  The familiar base of Foursquare rums is there, but not overshadowed by the barrels.  Starts off nicely sweet, more than I thought from the smell.  Nice vanilla back-bone for the other flavors to play off.  There a dry sweetness on the finish that's from the port, not overwhelming, but there.  Not much burn at any time, product of the 102 proof, so really didn't need any ice/water to enjoy this one.  Right on the tip of my tongue I has a nice lingering tingle. 

To me, it's more subdued than prior releases.  Compared to the port finish from several years ago, it's definitely less "porty".  This is an extremely approachable rum - very easy to sip and enjoy.  Not as crazy complicated as some prior releases, but there's still enough going on to make you sit back and really just enjoy the rum.

• I like it 1

Just bought it. Will likely try it tomorrow. If you have to make a decision I say buy! Foursquare is pretty reliable.

• I like it 2

On 11/16/2020 at 6:21 PM, Bbstout said:

Has anyone had this? 6 year port cask finish. I have been waiting for this. Unfortunately it will go fast I bet.

At $62.00, this is going to make plenty of year-end “best bang for the buck” lists and disappear. I find it extremely well balanced and too easy to drink— which will broaden its appeal. The liquor store which normally processes cases of Foursquare releases only received this single bottle. 

EA53C4A0-5A2D-43DA-8371-528437A0C2A6.jpeg

I was in the store on Tuesday and when I was checking out I saw a bottle behind the counter for $70. I already had several hundred dollars’ worth of stuff in the cart and decided to pass until I could get home and do a little research. I got home and ... I already had a bottle that I hadn’t opened. Guess I just forgot about it. I love it when that happens and bet I’m not the only one on here who gets these surprises every once in a while!

Anyway, seeing as how I associate finished spirits with the holidays, and Gayle Seale wished me a happy birthday on Facebook yesterday (she’s very active and very nice) I opened it up for a taste tonight. It is unmistakably foursquare in flavor with more sweetness than the variants not finished in port barrels. It also is more approachable at the lower proof. I want to try it chilled next time and I’ll be going back to the store this week to snag that other bottle. ?? 

6C20E5AB-D12C-484B-92B3-E011C057BDDB.jpeg

Too approachable at lower proof for me. Give me the higher proof and I can figure out how much water to add, if any!

As the first port finish from Foursquare that I have seen in the US market in a few years (and the last one was even lower at 80 proof) I would have liked the additional proof. That said it was very nice.

8 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Too approachable at lower proof for me. Give me the higher proof and I can figure out how much water to add, if any!

As the first port finish from Foursquare that I have seen in the US market in a few years (and the last one was even lower at 80 proof) I would have liked the additional proof. That said it was very nice.

Agreed.  Been awhile since I've had a sip, but the mid-proof didnt hold up to my expectations.  The lower proofs usually reside in a sweetness niche made by their finish barrels.  The higher proofs are big punchers and complex.  Hoped this would fall in between, but it's more like the lower proof offerings to me.  

That said, price is in line, and nothing wrong with it at all.  I just had that "middle ground" preconceived...  Buy 2 at msrp. 

21 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Maybe marry it in a glass with some of the higher proof stuff? It’s really not all that low in proof like the previous port finish or Zinfandel. Even some of the other barrel proof stuff was only 110-115 or so. This one just is really not a punch in the mouth pour. I prefer the bigger rums, but this one is really good at the lower proof. ?? 

Edited by Charlutz
  • I like it 1

• 1 month later...

I picked up a bottle of this yesterday and had time for a quick taste.

I found the hints of port barrel fruitiness, but the typical cinnamon from FS was more subdued. Brown sugar notes came through nicely

I favor the 51% as a sweet spot in this, needing no water and just a bit of airtime in the glass.  Tho I can see where the idea to blend it up slightly with some of the previous 116 proof offerings could gain traction, as the bump up could prolong the mid and finish. Maybe it just needs that extra kick of spiciness to bring it around.

Very smooth and enjoyable. Great body and mouthfeel tho a bit quick on the finish and going drier sooner than expected. I was left pretty happy at the 70$ price point I found it here. I'm left with the notion of a very smooth and approachable rum that a high percentage of buyers would be ecstatic for. 

I think it will come along nicely as the bottle level goes down.

Cheers,

RW

• I like it 2

This is the most approachable, easy-drinking, right-out-of-the-bottle pour, from Foursquare to date. There really is no comparison to the original port cask which was light, fruity, and delicate. This is a tad fruity, but much more bold without being overly anything. Very solid.

Edited by Nomad
  • I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2020 at 11:12 AM, Bbstout said:

Thanks guys. Wish I could find one.

If you're still looking and really want one, let me know and we can make this happen.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.