KO Batch 4

JCwhammie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This just hit our market. Here's the marketing note for it, The Last rye Batch is the final release in this series and marks the end of an amazing journey for me. I'm very proud of this release and think it's ending on a very special note. Save this one for the right occasions." - Dixon Dedman, Master Blender of KY Owl

The store that has it does not price above MSRP. This limited edition is a whopping $269.99.  Wow. 

VA ABC prices everything at MSRP and they have it listed on the website for $299.99 (hasn't been in stock yet).

On 11/27/2020 at 7:59 PM, Bbstout said:

Wasn't batch 1 $120?

I think I paid $80 for the 1st batch. It was the best on. Not to long after it came out and people found out how good it was the price jumped to $120. 

But batch 4 now comes in a $100 cardboard tube!!!

Furthermore, Dixon said its good.....

?

In all honestly, I've been a big fan of KY Owl Rye.  I loved batch one, skipped two after tasting it, and fell in love again with batch 3.  Due to the price increase to $180, I only bought one bottle of batch 3 and drank it rather quickly.

So now 4 comes out and it's statistically about the same thing as batch 2 & 3, but in a tube and $100 more.

I'm sure it's very good, but the hell I'm paying a $100 surcharge on top of what I already think is ridiculous pricing for a stupid cardboard tube.

• I like it 1

Hey, they gotta pay for that new distillery and theme park some how. I couldn’t find much pertinent information on how things are progressing at the distillery site. Heck, I’m not sure if they’ve even broken ground yet. Hmmmmm. ?

Biba! Joe

16 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Hey, they gotta pay for that new distillery and theme park some how. I couldn’t find much pertinent information on how things are progressing at the distillery site. Heck, I’m not sure if they’ve even broken ground yet. Hmmmmm. ?

Biba! Joe

Architect here speaking very frankly. That design they had was well.........totally inappropriate. I can only hope it's not going forward and that they reconsider the design.

• I like it 3

17 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

38 minutes ago, flahute said:

Architect here speaking very frankly. That design they had was well.........totally inappropriate. I can only hope it's not going forward and that they reconsider the design.

When I passed thru Bardstown a couple of weeks ago it was still just an empty quarry as best I could tell. 

1 minute ago, tanstaafl2 said:

When I passed thru Bardstown a couple of weeks ago it was still just an empty quarry as best I could tell. 

Thanks Bruce! I hope it stays that way........at least until they contact me for a second opinion. Yes, I may be hopelessly biased.

I've been seeing KO brands just sitting out on the shelves in multiple grocery stores.  I could buy it anytime, but won't.  From what I can gather, it's made by vatting barrels they buy from one or more of KY's legacy distilleries.  It probably isn't bad, but no where near worth the mark up for the fancy package to me.

I see in the above article, they are first building the bottling plant and rickhouse, but pushing back the distillery to phase two.  I guess the plan is to be a non distiller producer for a long time.

The architecture plans they released some time ago seemed crazy to me.  What insurance company would write a policy for a wooden log cabin pyramid distillery. ?

• 3 weeks later...

Batch 1 was $120-140 here. At that time, I thought it was a bit pricey and passed. In retrospect and given where the general market (and my own personal limits) went I would have bought a couple.

After all the positive reviews on Batch 1 I decided I would circle back and get Batch 2 when it was released. Except now it was $190!  Pissed at the arbitrary $50 bump I again passed.  I also passed on the $300 KO bourbon all over the place.  And, of course, Confiscated at $110-120. 

I met Dixon at a KO Rye #1 release. Very nice guy, and a fantastic blender as the end products that I have tried are very good.  But the big price tags and arbitrary (IMO) increases are enough that the entire KO line/brand now just falls into the category of not existing in my bourbon world. Doesn’t matter what they release as I am almost 100% not going to be a buyer. Dry State for 1k anyone? 

Unrelated to topic at hand but I’ll add that nearly the entire high end WP line and all of Willett are the other brands in this category. Fine whiskey, but priced at a level I just won’t ever support. 

• I like it 1

I guess Stoli controls the brand now.  I have no knowledge, but I just assume they are the ones controlling the price.

I am glad I thought to grab every batch 1 I could get my hands on at $99 to $125.  I also bought a couple of batch 2 at almost 200 but I don't really regret those. But no more for me unless they do something serious about their pricing.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.