Dusty Bird

tmas
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm thinking this is what a "dusty" should look like. Anyway, is there any difference between this squat bottle juice and what's in the fancy newer bottle?í

1605988902343305108816261406947.thumb.jpg.b8413f5baae08f1d3af9287d72a6a0b9.jpg

• I like it 3

4 minutes ago, tmas said:

I'm thinking this is what a "dusty" should look like. Anyway, is there any difference between this squat bottle juice and what's in the fancy newer bottle?í

1605988902343305108816261406947.thumb.jpg.b8413f5baae08f1d3af9287d72a6a0b9.jpg

Yes, the current version is 90 proof vs the old bottle being 101 proof. 

11 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

Yes, the current version is 90 proof vs the old bottle being 101 proof. 

So it’s bottled by Old Prentice, but not distilled there?

It’s the Old Prentice distillery, and it has a long history. In a nutshell, it’s now Four Roses. 

Old Prentice was at one point the current Four Roses distillery. When Seagrams owned Four Roses they introduced Eagle Rare 101 in the 70s as an attempt to compete pretty directly with Wild Turkey 101. They eventually sold the brand to Sazerac, who eventually started producing it themselves at what is now called BT after they acquired it and created the BT name. 

34 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

It’s the Old Prentice distillery, and it has a long history. In a nutshell, it’s now Four Roses. 

I think you and I were typing out responses at the same time, as I hadn’t seen yours when I posted mine. The thing I’m not sure of is did BT also acquire the OP name hen they bought ER? I’m not sure 

Might have been they got the stock, bottles and labels when the acquired the brand. I had a couple of ER 10 101 decanters that had Old Prentice on them. I also heard from another member years ago he got some of those decanters at/from BT to use for charity events.

This one has been in its protective wooden case, so it isn't very "dusty".?

Since I broke it out, I will probably be having a pour or two later on. ?

Biba! Joe

DSC_0004.JPG

• I like it 4

I've got a bottle of that.  Last Christmas Eve my nephew and his (now) fiancé wanted to surprise me with something.  Knowing how much of a bourbon geek I am, and the fact that her dad retired from working at BT, they asked if they could raid his downstairs stash of something that they knew I couldn't get today.  This is what I ended up with.  Needless to say I was very shocked and very appreciative.  We opened it that night and tried it, SBS with the current version.  This was the winner.

OLD EAGLE RARE.jpeg

• I like it 8

Why do some of the bottles say distilled by Old Prentice and others just say bottled by Old Prentice if it’s all distilled by Old Prentice?

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

This one has been in its protective wooden case, so it isn't very "dusty".?

Since I broke it out, I will probably be having a pour or two later on. ?

Biba! Joe

DSC_0004.JPG

BOOM!!!!!

• I like it 2

16 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

I've got a bottle of that.  Last Christmas Eve my nephew and his (now) fiancé wanted to surprise me with something.  Knowing how much of a bourbon geek I am, and the fact that her dad retired from working at BT, they asked if they could raid his downstairs stash of something that they knew I couldn't get today.  This is what I ended up with.  Needless to say I was very shocked and very appreciative.  We opened it that night and tried it, SBS with the current version.  This was the winner.

OLD EAGLE RARE.jpeg

Very pretty, are you sure you didn't just copy my pic?

20 hours ago, tmas said:

Very pretty, are you sure you didn't just copy my pic?

No because as you can see this was after imbibing some of the juice and the picture is slightly askew, which tends to happen when you drink before taking the picture.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.