Favorite pours of 2020?

webfoots
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

5 hours ago, markandrex said:

WTMK 17 BiB, no question.

Yeah.......my first post in this thread was more about what was new this year but if we're talking about best release this year this one is right up there.

On 11/24/2020 at 6:25 AM, Marekv8 said:

From the standpoint of cost and availability-- plus a great sense of terroir and rugged minerality, I'm sticking with George…

IMG_5458.thumb.jpg.85703a56f4ba9bcb933df1da02df3ded.jpg

I will second this...

• I like it 1

ECBP B520
1876876485_ElijahCraigBarrelProofB520-1b.thumb.jpg.169ccd574c281b7fd61b1a605bd6b2f8.jpg

RRSIB PS - 8Yr 7Mo; Warehouse G, Floor 4
1823435580_RussellsReserveSiBPrivateSelection-5b.thumb.jpg.7113fac83b69e4c9f52ce4d4a524a8b0.jpg

Had to go back for a second bottle of each of these after trying them initially. Really enjoyed them both tremendously. I also had a KC120 that was phenomenal. Not a pick, just the standard Single Barrel Reserve straight off the shelf. Tried MMCS for the first time a few months ago & really liked it as well.

Edited by k-train

My two would be Weller Single Barrel and Smokewagon Uncut and Unfiltered.  I was fortunate to get my hands on both a month or so after the rest of the country seemed to be enjoying them.  They both had a lot of hype before I was able to sample and they both delivered.  

For 2020 the bottle that was the biggest, and most pleasant surprise for me, was Bardstown Bourbon Co.'s Discovery Series #2.  A great blend of several relatively long aged Kentucky bourbons.  I managed just last week to find a couple of bottles in a local store.  I was happy because BBC says they are sold out themselves.

EE336CEF-0308-4254-B72F-5818BFFF8D47_1_201_a.jpeg

IMG_3152.jpg

• I like it 5

Buffalo Trace has been hitting it for me this year.  For WT products, Longbranch has been a favorite as well. 

plain ol' WT101.  I like enjoying a good glass that is inexpensive and easily replaceable.  When I 1st moved back to WT101 it was like welcoming an old friend home.  We've all experienced fickle palate where one day a bottle is great and another day not so great.  Not so with WT101, for me it's always a good visit.

• I like it 5

2 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

plain ol' WT101.  I like enjoying a good glass that is inexpensive and easily replaceable.  When I 1st moved back to WT101 it was like welcoming an old friend home.  We've all experienced fickle palate where one day a bottle is great and another day not so great.  Not so with WT101, for me it's always a good visit.

I recently went back to WT101 for the first time in several years and was kinda blown away with how solid it is, especially at that price point. I don’t know why, but something about it just didn’t click for me when I had it previously. I seem to remember thinking it was aggressively spicy w/o offering much else... but man, my palate must’ve been waaaay off back then. I absolutely love the WT101 now & fully understand why so many folks mention it as a perfect everyday sipper.

8 hours ago, Kyjd75 said:

For 2020 the bottle that was the biggest, and most pleasant surprise for me, was Bardstown Bourbon Co.'s Discovery Series #2.  A great blend of several relatively long aged Kentucky bourbons.  I managed just last week to find a couple of bottles in a local store.  I was happy because BBC says they are sold out themselves.

EE336CEF-0308-4254-B72F-5818BFFF8D47_1_201_a.jpeg

IMG_3152.jpg

Excellent choice!  My local store had a few, key word was had.  I have 1.5 left but loved this blend also.  Now I am set for awhile.

• I like it 2

I’ve never seen a BBC Discovery series on a shelf. I absolutely love how they list out the included MB, percentages, and ages of what’s in the bottle. 

• I like it 1

I'm drinking my favorite right now, a 2006 bottling of WTKS that I just opened for Turkey Day. Has the richest nose and the richest mouthfeel of any WT I've ever drank including 12 Year and RB 99.  It has a magical funk that you hear about.

• I like it 2

11 hours ago, Kepler said:

I'm drinking my favorite right now, a 2006 bottling of WTKS that I just opened for Turkey Day. Has the richest nose and the richest mouthfeel of any WT I've ever drank including 12 Year and RB 99.  It has a magical funk that you hear about.

Shame it wasn't the "wheater funk"...

• I like it 2

For American Whiskies (either new this year or relatively new and new to ME this year)...

KC12

George Dickel BIB 11yr

Hirsch Horizon

Maker's 101

Stranahan Blue Peak

4Roses Small Batch Select

Whistle Pig "Piggyback" 6yr

Ok so I've given this topic some thought. I'm pretty rye centric. I considered a pour of THH, or a M10 rye, because both were fantastic this year. But in the catagory of best I'd have to take into account the ability to replicate and share with friends. I have a lot of friends and they only put so much whiskey in a bottle. So with that said I actually have four picks, which are easy enough to get a couple of here in Maryland.

IMG_20201127_204733.jpg

Two different themes for me personally to answer this question.

1. You guys helping me understand that the Russells make some damn good whisky.   Led me to to fall in love with RRSiB
  2. After years of planning, March of 2020 was the start of my own business after working decades for others.  Lucky timing there. 

So no doubt to my answer on favorite pours of 2020.  My most memorable pours are all the WT101 I have drank in cheap hotel rooms trying to get this thing off the ground.  Bring on 2021!

3E29BC18-7225-4D83-8B45-FE4AAD73640E.jpeg

Edited by BlueMonk
  • I like it 8

On 11/27/2020 at 9:28 PM, Mattk said:

Ok so I've given this topic some thought. I'm pretty rye centric. I considered a pour of THH, or a M10 rye, because both were fantastic this year. But in the catagory of best I'd have to take into account the ability to replicate and share with friends. I have a lot of friends and they only put so much whiskey in a bottle. So with that said I actually have four picks, which are easy enough to get a couple of here in Maryland.

IMG_20201127_204733.jpg

I really enjoyed my bottle of old pepper rye too!   is that the 10 year?

3 hours ago, geclbxf said:

I really enjoyed my bottle of old pepper rye too!   is that the 10 year?

No just the regular 4 year

My most enjoyable pour has to be Midwinter Nights Dram. And I rarely sip ryes.  We found 2 bottles local and bought them both, the wife and I. It was really enjoyable. Both bottles are now just a memory but we're looking forward to next years.

20201028_144006.jpg

Stumbled into more ryes lately.  Wild Turkey Rare Breed  and Col. E H Taylor Ryes are pretty amazing to me.

• I like it 3

Slow year for me in US whiskey. So nothing there qualified.

Best pours for me were the Potter 34yr Cadenhead whisky, and I expect that the Hampden 27yr from K+L will take top spot, but it will take months to get to me to be sure. Safe bet, though.

375ml on those ones, but I've still got 25ml to spare to watch smokinjoe retch...

• I like it 3

1 minute ago, The Black Tot said:

Slow year for me in US whiskey. So nothing there qualified.

Best pours for me were the Potter 34yr Cadenhead whisky, and I expect that the Hampden 27yr from K+L will take top spot, but it will take months to get to me to be sure. Safe bet, though.

375ml on those ones, but I've still got 25ml to spare to watch smokinjoe retch...

Heehee!  Nothing like a tasting note of unexpected burp/vomit in the back of the throat!  ?  Honestly, the sooner I get to that moment when I can taste that rum with you and my SB brothers and sisters, the better. I dare say, I will cherish every drop!  

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.